PDA

View Full Version : better keep those old bikes .

garbiker
15th June 2006, 02:50
I got a a friend in ala who test rides for a bike co???he rides day and some nights. CANT say who he works for. ?? But he said the new bikes are not like the old ones.most fuel injected. and a lot quiter and can not be changed.SO I will hang on to my old bikes. had one old one I sold for a nice price not long ago. (collector bike)SO dont trade them off . they will get more $$$ as the time goes by . C YALL gar

AOW
15th June 2006, 02:55
Good to know!

lagerdrinker
15th June 2006, 03:21
i plan on keeping my old style solid mount sporty...i wonder being the first year of the 883r if its gonna be worth anything someday.

Y2K
15th June 2006, 04:57
i plan on keeping my old style solid mount sporty...i wonder being the first year of the 883r if its gonna be worth anything someday.

Nope not worth a thing, better give it to me now and cut your losses :roflblack

Roadster_Rider
15th June 2006, 05:27
I bet the 04-06 models will be worth a pretty penny, after all you can only get a nice smooth ride with upgrade options on 3 model years :D i guess we rubber mounted riders will win this one in 10-20 years

lagerdrinker
15th June 2006, 05:36
I bet the 04-06 models will be worth a pretty penny, after all you can only get a nice smooth ride with upgrade options on 3 model years :D i guess we rubber mounted riders will win this one in 10-20 years

dont forget how rare those rubbermounts are, you can only buy them if you look through classifieds,ebay,craigslist....or the dealer:roflblack :roflblack :roflblack

garbiker
15th June 2006, 06:03
TIP >>>> I could of bought a fully loaded 1200 sporty with the $$ from my 66xlr I sold. You never know what will be worth the most. AND THEY ARE MADE IN THE USA> Have you noticed those 1000.00 ironheads are getting hard to find. TRY AND FIND A K MODLE?? OR A KH> If you do they have been chopped up . and any thing up to now. 07 will be the start of the hds having a bike you can not mess with. I got a set of screaming eagle pipes. ON THE BOX not for road use. and can cancel your warantee. AND H D is removing them from stock.no longer for sale. racing only. AND keep any stuff you pull off a late modles as you may need it for emission test later. our ironheads will be exempt as never had it. just thank our goverment. and how many of you have a v rod???I think harley needs to wake up. or the metrics will get them. C YALL LATER GAR

bud095
15th June 2006, 06:10
having a bike i cant mess with! i wonder how this will impact the industry?:( like small indy shops and such.

garbiker
15th June 2006, 06:22
I under stand harley will be putting a chip in there bikes to keep you from messing with them. there own rule not from epa yet . will be a couple of years. enjoy the sound. soon they will be like a gold wing. no sound. ????////and now you can only build one bike from scratch in a life time. and the custom bikes 25. and they can only be ridden to shows. over that has to meet the regulations. all other bike do. and you have to build fron scratch not rebuild a new bike. .

Jimbo999
15th June 2006, 06:47
I bet Airforce One wouldn't pass emmisions today......LOL

bud095
15th June 2006, 07:03
[QUOTE=gar]I under stand harley will be putting a chip in there bikes to keep you from messing with them. there own rule not from epa yet . will be a couple of years. enjoy the sound. soon they will be like a gold wing. no sound. ????////and now you can only build one bike from scratch in a life time. and the custom bikes 25. and they can only be ridden to shows. over that has to meet the regulations. all other bike do. and you have to build fron scratch not rebuild a new bike. that is just sad:(

lagerdrinker
15th June 2006, 12:05
looks like they all will be worth something soon thanks to the epa.
and i have been looking for a 1000.00 harley, cant find any.

tprJJ49707
15th June 2006, 14:55
The rubber-mounters also have the proud distinction of the trapdoor-free transmission for the first time in fifty years!!!!...so any tranny work involves splitting the cases BRILLIANT!!!

Gar will be back in business, working on 'new' bikes with '52 K model split-the- case-trannies.

garbiker
15th June 2006, 15:04
Just a note look at the rubber mount forum and see all the things wrong. loose motor mounts from the factory. vibs. computer chips not right. bad handling. just look at them and then go hug your old iron. at least you can set the timing. and not have the front motor sprocket come off. and the battery is big enough to crank it. the side covers dont fall off. I got a 04 but like my old bikes. AND you can spend all day working on it if you want to or just polish it. lol just gars 2¢AND cant buy gas with that no more.

CBAS5
15th June 2006, 15:46
gar,
Where are you getting some of this information about chips?

garbiker
15th June 2006, 20:03
from a friend who works for H D >>Will be in a couple of years. NOT 07 . C U LTR GAR

CBAS5
15th June 2006, 20:13
As far as I know the next stricter emissions (stage 2) will be in 2010. Stage 1 was in 2006. We'll see what happens in 2010 that is still a good period of time away. I have my 2005 and that's all I need. I'll just keep rebuilding her until I die. It would really suck to legislate the harley we love away. That's the time when i'll move to eastern europe that doesn't have any emissions laws. The real land of the free :D

tcspannerwrench
15th June 2006, 20:21
I predict (sometime in the future) this fourm will have a section for air-cooled sportsters that will be like the iron head section today

I hate to say I will never get rid of my sportster because things happen but my plan is to by a BT in two years and keep the sportster for more recreational riding

garbiker
15th June 2006, 21:05
I know on a computer bike the late ones has your vin no on it the ign modgule . and date it was made . SO be careful if you put a use one on. AS it may mess up your warantee. I saw one on e bay that was off a flood bike . not a se one. off a 05 1200. AND they need to match the vin on you frame. can be done at a H D shop. As they have loaned ones to trouble shoot a problem. and had to redo the nos. BUT YOU GOT TO HAVE A WRENCH THAT KNOWS HOW>

CBAS5
15th June 2006, 21:11
I don't think the sportster will have a problem keeping up with EPA standards though because the buells with their 100 hp motors make 2006 emissions. The sportsters even make 2006 emssions with carbs. I think Erick Buell said they can continue to make the emission requirements. If anything, then harley will use it as an excuse to build more modern bikes. Or they want to make it harder for the aftermarket because they aren't selling aftermarket parts anymore.

greanmeany1
15th June 2006, 21:13
Just a note look at the rubber mount forum and see all the things wrong. loose motor mounts from the factory. vibs. computer chips not right. bad handling. just look at them and then go hug your old iron. at least you can set the timing. and not have the front motor sprocket come off. and the battery is big enough to crank it. the side covers dont fall off. I got a 04 but like my old bikes. AND you can spend all day working on it if you want to or just polish it. lol just gars 2¢AND cant buy gas with that no more.
dream on i love my 05 1200c. fantastic bike. i am in love with the thing.
you can have all the vibraters you want no thanks. i do not want to set my timing. crank sensers work very well for a very long time. but i understand your love of the older stuff.;)

Vegas1200C
15th June 2006, 21:20
By then we will have flying cars and robots to do our work for us.

CBAS5
15th June 2006, 21:22
By then we will have flying cars and robots to do our work for us.

They have promised me that ever since I was young boy. So I doubt it will happen now. And i wouldn't want flying cars. People haven't mastered driving on land, flying would be a tragedy to all the idiots out there.

CT1200
15th June 2006, 21:39
Oooo boy... here we go flying cars... Whats next, flux capasitor? How about the Mr Fusion, should be alot cheaiper than gas any day now...

md2420
15th June 2006, 22:12
I plan on keeping my '74 numbers matching XLH 1000. sure, it's tough some days when "everything" on it seems to go bad because of the age, but you just can't beat a good 'ol ironhead!

bearsfan
15th June 2006, 22:27
The flying cars comment brought back the memory of when I was buying my sporty. I had my sons with me (5 and 7 at the time) - and the youngest had his eye on a screamin' eagle softtail (I think) that was in the window - sharp looking bike. He was trying to get the salesman to hold it for him until he was old enough to drive. I told my son that by then motorcycles will probably be replaced by hovercrafts or something of that nature. The salesman deadpanned back "Not Harleys...you're lucky they have electric start". I thought that was pretty cool, and summed up the appeal of the Sporty pretty nicely - simple, clean, and straight forward.

cootertwo
15th June 2006, 22:28
Probably in a year or two, as I see it, Harley will re-locate all of it's plants to China, where everyone else has gone. They seem to be after the almighty buck, and could give a crap less about loyalty to their customers. Look at the V-rod, it's all metric ain't it? I consider it to be as much of a Harley, as a Yamaha, or Honda, etc. etc.

Vegas1200C
15th June 2006, 23:59
The flying cars comment brought back the memory of when I was buying my sporty. I had my sons with me (5 and 7 at the time) - and the youngest had his eye on a screamin' eagle softtail (I think) that was in the window - sharp looking bike. He was trying to get the salesman to hold it for him until he was old enough to drive. I told my son that by then motorcycles will probably be replaced by hovercrafts or something of that nature. The salesman deadpanned back "Not Harleys...you're lucky they have electric start". I thought that was pretty cool, and summed up the appeal of the Sporty pretty nicely - simple, clean, and straight forward.

Amen. The Wrigley Field of motorcycles.

GSB_77_XL
16th June 2006, 00:47
the side covers dont fall off. +

But lots of other things fall off though. Some where on this forum is a list, a long list, of all of the sruff thats fallen off of my 77. But you know what it makes the ride more interesting. Ill keep my iron.

Roadster_Rider
16th June 2006, 00:59

I cant believe i have to say this, but i'm sure the old irons had pleanty of problems right out of the factory, at least we go thorugh oil faster than gasoline. Hell irons were the engines the sporty used in the AMF years, now thats a shit load of problems. I'm not trying to say anything bad about any bikes, but all of them will have their problems coming off the line. shit happens.

nativebroncofan
16th June 2006, 01:38
Makes me even happier that I bought my 79.
Dylan said best "TIMES, THEY ARE-A-CHANGING"

CBAS5
16th June 2006, 02:27
I'm not trying to say anything bad about any bikes, but all of them will have their problems coming off the line.

Amen. And don't forget that includes all the japanese motorcycles and cars as well. Even the japanese don't produce a vehicle 100%. Those also have recalls and quirks.

Gone
16th June 2006, 03:33
I love my 92 xl1200. It has its share of problems but its mine and its paid for.

Wintersdark
16th June 2006, 04:28
+

But lots of other things fall off though. Some where on this forum is a list, a long list, of all of the sruff thats fallen off of my 77. But you know what it makes the ride more interesting. Ill keep my iron.

*lol* Just yesterday the battery strap and my 82 worked it's way loose, and let go of my home made stainless steel battery cover, which was promptly squashed flat by the 18 wheeler behind me :)

I've learned, particularly with Ironhead sporties, to go through the bike from end to end regularly tightening everything... And yet, still, stuff falls off all the time.

I think it's my sporty's way of telling me that it wants to be a bare-bones chopper with nothing on it that isn't absolutely essential for operation. :)