PDA

View Full Version : Drive belt

corzy
6th September 2008, 14:28
Hi there, just busted my drive belt on my 03 sporty, have 32000 miles on her so probably just wear, as i dont drive too hard, just alot (9000+miles this season) ordered from the local yamaha dealer as i cant stand the HD dealer, 175 sounds to be around normal.
before i get started as ive never changed one, is there anything i need to consider before starting????
cant find any threads with advise on changing the belt?
any info is much appreciated
thanks
Corzy

milmat1
6th September 2008, 14:31
Hi there, just busted my drive belt on my 03 sporty, have 32000 miles on her so probably just wear, as i dont drive too hard, just alot (9000+miles this season) ordered from the local yamaha dealer as i cant stand the HD dealer, 175 sounds to be around normal.
before i get started as ive never changed one, is there anything i need to consider before starting????
cant find any threads with advise on changing the belt?
any info is much appreciated
thanks
Corzy

YES! Get the manual !!

Then do a search on here, Theres a ton of info about the belts and breakage. If you don't adjust it right you can expect another break ! There quite Fininky !! Other than the adjustment the replacemnet is straight forward !
Use the search at the bottom of the page !!

66impala
6th September 2008, 14:49
Ditto, get a manual. Buy a belt tension gauge, and make up the tool to measure from your axle bolt to the swing arm bolt ( I bought a 2ft length of steel rod at home depot to make the tool). I changed my belt while on vacation in the motels parking lot, I made it home and properly adjusted to specs. Mine broke at 17k and right after having tires changed, my 12yr old son and I were on a road trip and we were loaded up good also.

The HD belt was 205.00 last year from the dealer.

corzy
6th September 2008, 15:22
ya i have the manual, where could i get and how much would a belt tension gauge be? thanks for the tips, will get started once the part gets here

Desertfox
6th September 2008, 22:26
Mine is an '01 with the original belt still on it. Haven't had any issues with it yet(knock on wood). Although the new belts have a service life rated "indefinate", that does not take into consideration someone deliberately trying to break one :). As for changing it? I would definately hand that over to a professional. Although they are tough they will not tolerate misalignment. You can shred one quite easily by getting the alignment out a nothingth of an inch. Unless you have some specialized equipment and know what the hell you are doing you will be spending another $200.00 on a belt very soon. The $75.00 to $100.00 you would pay a professional to do it could seem cheap by comparison.

ReddTigger
6th September 2008, 22:35
you can use a wire hanger to make the alignment tool,, Very simple, I used a Zip Tie instead of an "O" ring and it's worked for me.

The belt tension gauge should only be about 10-15 bucks at the dealership.

Folkie
6th September 2008, 23:39
If you have the manual, just follow that to change the belt. It isn't too difficult.

robzuc97
6th September 2008, 23:51
These aren't step-by-step procedures but a few tidbits: Using service manual check for proper direction of the belt before installation (look it up). The belt can be installed over the swing arm by removing the lower shock blot and swinging up but try not to excessively twist, bend, or abuse it too much. A quick tension check is to twist the belt gently; it should go no further the 1/4 twist and will be at proper tension if you don't want to buy the tool. Check the pulleys for any damage (rock could've got up there). Any distortion of the drive or esp. the rear pulley=replace or you'll keep breaking belts from accelerated wear. Follow vehicle alignment procedure carefully, check & double check esp. the adjuster screws. There is a 1/32th inch tolerance for axle alignment. Use a torque wrench on all fasteners. The belt may be replaced without removing the tire but needs raised to adjust belt and remove lower shock bolt. Follow the manual verbatim! and take your time to do it right. And the biggy: if you screw up, it will have "catastrophic results". And have fun! I lost mine on the side of the road at 12K (rock?) and had to change it there!

milmat1
7th September 2008, 00:53
ya i have the manual, where could i get and how much would a belt tension gauge be? thanks for the tips, will get started once the part gets here

$22.00 At the stealers !!

Folkie
7th September 2008, 00:57
Here it is:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/media/images/productphotos/PNA/40006_85_M_16cf0.jpg (http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444184716 7&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302290275&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302290275&bmUID=1220746612700&bmLocale=en_US) (clickety click)

corzy
8th September 2008, 18:03
thanks a bunch gents, ill give er a whirl once the new belt arrives.

PuddlePirate
8th September 2008, 21:49
The newest version of the Buell XB belt is supposed to be nearly unbreakable, and it is about the same price as was listed above. I'll post the p/n if you'd like, as I've got to look for it.