PDA

View Full Version : Prices paid for a 1200R

Chas1
20th June 2006, 12:21
Hi Guys,
I'm new to the forum and will be new to Harleys. I'm looking at a new 1200R in orange and black with laced wheels. What can I expect to pay? I live just above NYC and there are a number of dealers close by but they don't want to budge from a price of about $9,200. I think that I could do better. What do you think?

Great forum and tons of useful info, keep up the great work!

Chas

lagerdrinker
20th June 2006, 14:06
msrp is 8595-9775. laced wheels on an R? whatever, im sure its more for that. so hes right in the middle. probably wont budge in price, maybe some hd instore bucks. mine used to give 500 or 1000 dollar store credit for purchase of new bike. just checked, nothing on thier site.

cgp-1200R
20th June 2006, 14:12
i got mine two weeks ago, i dont have the laced wheels , 8815 i paid

LordVngr
20th June 2006, 15:11
I wouldnt pay any more then MSRP plus the price of extra options. It's just my opnion but unless you Really Liked the spoke wheels I would try to buy one with Cast wheels instead. Not only will it save you a few bucks But spoke wheels require a innertube and cast wheels dont. Also with the dual front disks of the R model they going to be a bear to keep clean. I originally wanted spoke wheels with my 1200r too but now I'm glad I didnt get them.
My 2 cents...

LV

BlueHen
20th June 2006, 15:26
They may not budge on MSRP, but some dealers will waive freight and set-up (about $500). Also, go for some in-store credit. I got about $300 when I got mine.

sloDown
20th June 2006, 17:57
My dealer gave me $1,000 off the published list price for my 2006 1200R....

Find out how many sportys they have in stock, the more they have the more likely they are to give you a price break.

It never hurts to ask.... In my case I would have walked if I didn't get the $1,000 off, maybe the salesman sensed that and gave me what I wanted to make the sale.

Or.... maybe it had to do with the fact I purchased it in February, sales are kinda show that time of the year here in tropical Michigan!

Moved On / My Own Choice
20th June 2006, 18:04
BINGO...

Even at the peak of HD popularity (year long waiting lists etc), I NEVER paid a dime over MSRP (and some sort of freight/prep).

These days there is more room.

We saw one we wanted, but it had the ugly POS laced/tubed wheels and we said we'd take it but only if they swapped out the wheels (on their dime) for cast wheels from another model on the floor. They said no problem and still offered us MSRP, plus no prep fees, plus 20% off accessories.

We bought elsewhere in the end, but they matched everything.

Kev

CBAS5
20th June 2006, 18:37
In July 2004 my friend paid $7450 for a 2004 1200 Roadster with no prep/freight. That was the price BEFORE state/local taxes. I think that was $1000 or $1250 off MSRP.

I got $1300 off MSRP with no prep/freight fees and free winter storage in December 2004 on a 2005 custom.

In July 2006 my other friend made a killing and got $3000 off MSRP of a 2005 Roadster. He bought right before/at the time the new 2006's were coming in and they had to move the bikes. He got that deal after being to several dealers and none of them willing to budge much on the price.

All the deals we got took a lot of time and patience waiting for the right moment and being to several dealerships.

dooley
20th June 2006, 22:17
In august of 2004. $8200.00 for a lava red 1200R.
Wait for the end of model year sales to get the best deals....very soon.

Roadster_Rider
20th June 2006, 22:26
Got mine for 9400 OTD and my moms 05 1200C for 9600, hers was cheap because it was the end of the 05 models, that includes the 7.75% tax and all prep, so it ended up bein a pretty damn good deal.

Moved On / My Own Choice
21st June 2006, 14:58
Only thing is, I've been keeping my eye open and I haven't seen a 1200R in any of the local (or non-local I've stopped by) dealerships in a while...

bplinson
21st June 2006, 15:45
I have no choice when buying from the Military Auto Sales. Gotta pay MSRP plus shipping to Germany.

That is of course you want this year's model. They have BUNCH of '05 left over with $1500 discounts. Sportys, FatBoys, Heritages and more.

LordVngr
21st June 2006, 16:03
Only thing is, I've been keeping my eye open and I haven't seen a 1200R in any of the local (or non-local I've stopped by) dealerships in a while...

Same here too. Seems the dealers in my area dont stock 1200R models either. Not sure why though. When I bought mine from the dealer in Saint Pete he had 3 in stock and hasnt had any since. The dealer closest to me has Never had any New 1200R's in stock and Ive seen only One used one on his lot. I still wouldnt pay over MSRP But if you want a 1200R they can be hard to find, At least in My Area. Of course since I already own one I hope they Never have any in stock. Just makes mine more valuable. My 2 cents...

LV

Moved On / My Own Choice
21st June 2006, 16:18
Could be stocking issue, could also be a "they sell" issue and can't keep em in stock.

I know the Smokey Mountain Harley dealer we stopped at the other week had literally a dozen or more 883Cs and 1200Cs, plus a couple of lows, but not a SINGLE R model.

My local dealers usually seem to have a couple of the Cs...

One of them usually has an 883R...

CBAS5
21st June 2006, 17:45
Could be stocking issue, could also be a "they sell" issue and can't keep em in stock.

I want to know the answer to that question. In 2004 all the custom's sold out for a few months before and all the Roadsters were left. In 2005 they were aobut equal with a few customs being left. Now I haven't been able to find a Roadster. I wanted to look at the new blacked out engine. I wonder if that is due to them selling more or dealers ordering less because they didn't sell well.

When you look at the poll of what people own there about about twice as many 1200 customs than 1200 Roadster (last time I checked). Maybe the roadsters just aren't selling well and the dealerships don't want too many of them.

cgp-1200R
21st June 2006, 17:48

I got mine 2 weeks ago. it was the only one i could find < 1200 > in the 6 cny dealerships, there was an orange 883 R at one dealer.

650brad
21st June 2006, 19:25
I want to know the answer to that question. In 2004 all the custom's sold out for a few months before and all the Roadsters were left. In 2005 they were aobut equal with a few customs being left. Now I haven't been able to find a Roadster. I wanted to look at the new blacked out engine. I wonder if that is due to them selling more or dealers ordering less because they didn't sell well.

When you look at the poll of what people own there about about twice as many 1200 customs than 1200 Roadster (last time I checked). Maybe the roadsters just aren't selling well and the dealerships don't want too many of them.
My dealer doesn't seem to want to stock the "R" models, I had to order mine, although a week before mine arrived they got an 883R on the floor. And 2 months later it's still there. I don't think the "R" models are all that popular around here because I've only seen one other 1200R, a black one with silver powder coated cases, probably an '05 as I didn't see it before last summer. I see lots of customs, usually 1200's.

mpemulis
22nd June 2006, 02:29
My regular dealer (San Diego Harley) usually has an R or two on the floor. I bought mine 6 months ago right off the floor in fact.

I was in there yesterday and noticed they had several used ones too.

SteveK
22nd June 2006, 02:38
My 2005 $9500 MSRP out the door, with lace wheels and security. I bought it in July of last year.

h2ocreeker
22nd June 2006, 03:02
2004 1200r black $7600 + tax. No shipping , prep ect... I didn't have to haggle. Just asked how much. When I asked why? Got an easy answer. " The 2005's are arriving and the 2004's gotta get paid for".

photon
22nd June 2006, 03:56
In February I paid MSRP for my '06 1200R, which the dealer had to bring in from another of their dealerships in the next state. They had an orange 1200R with chrome lace wheels in stock, but I didn't want the wheels and they could not swap them out with a 1200C because of the dual front brakes. They mentioned the wheels were a $300+ option, but would throw them in at no charge if I would get the bike on the showroom floor. I opted to wait 3 weeks for a black R with stock wheels.

Moved On / My Own Choice
22nd June 2006, 04:23

that's a good point. I would expect we've got a pretty good cross-section of sporty owners on here, so you may be right.

That's kinda sad from my perspective, but you may be right.

Kev

Roadster_Rider
22nd June 2006, 04:28
i must admit that the big tank on the c's would be convenient, but i dont think it looks right, i like having a tach, dual front disks, blacked out engine, taller, and mid controls. to me there was no question which bike i should get.

that being said i think the the C models are more appealing to most, extra gallon capacity, chromed out engine, lower, thin laced front wheel, its just not what i wanted.

fuzzymemory
22nd June 2006, 05:58
The popularity of the Custom makes sense. It is perfect for people who are looking for a Harley Davidson cruiser, but want a middleweight bike. Lighter, faster (1200) and much cheaper than a Dyna or Softtail. The standard & Roadster do what they do best, but the Custom is a good compromise between a BT and a traditional Sportster.

650brad
22nd June 2006, 05:59
i must admit that the big tank on the c's would be convenient, but i dont think it looks right, i like having a tach, dual front disks, blacked out engine, taller, and mid controls. to me there was no question which bike i should get.

that being said i think the the C models are more appealing to most, extra gallon capacity, chromed out engine, lower, thin laced front wheel, its just not what i wanted.
I agree completely. I wanted the tach and brakes and the fatter front tire more than I wanted the extra fuel capacity and chrome. It's more my style, I've always been more into performance than looks. And the small fuel tank doesn't really bother me because I need to get off and stretch about every two hours anyhow. My dealer had to order my bike because I wanted the laced wheels. I paid MSRP but, they threw in the wheel option and PDI because the GF and I bought our bikes at the same time.

Roadster_Rider
22nd June 2006, 06:16
i wish they would bring back the 1200S though, 1200R style, but with some extra performance over the C's, so the behave more like the way they look.

cgp-1200R
22nd June 2006, 12:11
"I agree completely. I wanted the tach and brakes and the fatter front tire more than I wanted the extra fuel capacity and chrome. It's more my style, I've always been more into performance than looks. "

with the addition of the blacked out engine i concur.

CBAS5
22nd June 2006, 17:21
that's a good point. I would expect we've got a pretty good cross-section of sporty owners on here, so you may be right.

That's kinda sad from my perspective, but you may be right.

That would be sad. Especially since you get a tach, dual disk brakes, and a taller suspension for like $1K less in MSRP. They also look mean with the blacked out engine. If they had a blacked out engine in 2005, then I probably would have bought a roadster.

I still want to see one in person though and that is not easy anymore.

Roadster_Rider
22nd June 2006, 17:28
Hers a pic of an 06- i know you want to see it in person... if you wanna come to cali your welcome to take a peek lol.
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/scan0002.jpg

rvguy
22nd June 2006, 19:38
In July 2004 my friend paid $7450 for a 2004 1200 Roadster with no prep/freight. That was the price BEFORE state/local taxes. I think that was $1000 or $1250 off MSRP.

I got $1300 off MSRP with no prep/freight fees and free winter storage in December 2004 on a 2005 custom.

In July 2006 my other friend made a killing and got $3000 off MSRP of a 2005 Roadster. He bought right before/at the time the new 2006's were coming in and they had to move the bikes. He got that deal after being to several dealers and none of them willing to budge much on the price.

All the deals we got took a lot of time and patience waiting for the right moment and being to several dealerships.

BOY! I would like to see the Buyer's Order for that deal to believe it. I got a flat 15% off of retail for my 06 1200C: $8,771 including freight and prep.
I still haven't seen the PROOF of a bigger discount than that. Of course if there are a lot of dealer add-ons, it can happen.

650brad
22nd June 2006, 21:26
That would be sad. Especially since you get a tach, dual disk brakes, and a taller suspension for like $1K less in MSRP. They also look mean with the blacked out engine. If they had a blacked out engine in 2005, then I probably would have bought a roadster.

I still want to see one in person though and that is not easy anymore.
They look way better in person than on the Harley website. I really didn't like the graphic on the tank until my bike came in and I saw it for real. I was going to change it but, not now.:tour

hawaiian
23rd June 2006, 03:12
boy...I sure got bent over...That's Hawaii for you (not like we have winter sales here either)

anyway, the stealer only had one R on the floor at the time...the 04 sporty's had arrived just one or two months before and they asked for $13,000 + fees. For some reason I had to have THAT bike. I ended up paying 500 over msrp + freight + set up + tax...
That's the last time I ever buy a brand new for that year vehicle at the beginning of the year in HI. I'm going on vacation to pick up the next one.