PDA

View Full Version : force winder question for 05 1200

black051200
21st February 2005, 01:01
sup fellas !!!! any how i just bought a force winder for my bike with the breather kit. well my question is do i have to rejet the carb again? i just had it jetted when i put my se air cleaner and thunder header on. allso is the breather kit with the se compatable with the force winder? just thought id ask. will have pics as soon as the weather clears up

pquirk
21st February 2005, 01:51
Stick it on there and see how it runs then check the plugs. Simple as that. Enjoy.

xllent01
21st February 2005, 10:45
The bike will run leaner with the switch over to the
Forcewinder. AS soon as you put it on it will start
coughing and spitting thru the carb. Rejet is always
a good idea when you change to different air cleaners.
The plugs will turn a crisp white :frownthre

How do i know? i did the same change to my 01 a few
years ago :yikes

black051200
22nd February 2005, 02:45
thanks for the info fellas. i will have it rejetted again and have the force winder installed at the same time..

xllent01
22nd February 2005, 03:00
Did you get the XR2 style forcewinder, or did you get
the original design force? Dont forget the support bracket
is also needed to help support that new air cleaner

black051200
22nd February 2005, 06:03
i have the force winder xr

gearhead
1st March 2005, 20:53
does anyone know the airflow the force winder has compared to the SE AC? I like the looks, but would be more concerned with performance. Which one sucks more O2. I've heard the older SE AC for 1340 evolutions is better than the new SE AC specifically for the 04-05's, but how does the forcewinder compare to the SE's?

Thanks

Shu
1st March 2005, 21:07
I run a Forcewinder and came from the SE air cleaner. My jetting didn't change one bit. Which was proven on a dyno with air fuel meter. If you are running lean with a Forcewinder it is most likely because you didn't make the modification to the flow bowl vent in the elbow of the Forcewinder and you are starving it for fuel. Make that mod and it'll be fine.

As for air flow capacity of the SE vs. Forcewinder. I think the SE may have a freer flowing element due to surface area, but I also think you would have to have a bigger than 1200 cc engine to find the limits of either K&N filter. I didn't gain or lose any HP or TQ when I switched from the SE to the Forcewinder.

gearhead
1st March 2005, 21:11
Thanks Shu!

I really like the look of the force winder, and if performance isnt an issue at 1200, then I'm all set =)

xllent01
1st March 2005, 22:55
If you are running lean with a Forcewinder it is most likely because you didn't make the modification to the flow bowl vent in the elbow of the Forcewinder and you are starving it for fuel. Make that mod and it'll be fine.

This mod is made only if you run in the highest RPM range of the sporty.
If you look at the link this mod was performed on a Buell and not on a
sportster. What the difference is between the sporty motor and the buell
i dont know for sure.
I run the older Force and have not experienced this lean condition. My
bike has been dynoed twice and both times the sheets show the graph
going from top to bottom with no lean condition at all. Maybe good
tuning or just plain lucky on this condition.:yikes
http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/3842/11192.html

black051200
2nd March 2005, 00:05
i had my sporty rejeted when i put the force winder on. i allso had the se kit on, they told me to rejet just to be safe.

Bar
4th March 2005, 17:57
I would like to add the forcewinder intake to my '04 Sportster, but I'm not sure what all I need. I currently have the SE AC, so do I need the support bracket also. I thought I read somewhere that it was not needed if you have SE AC? Can I get the original design or do I need to get the XR2 DESIGN and modify bowl vent? I have not been able to locate either listed for '04-'05 Sportster. Where's the best place to purchase? Is the install something that needs to be done by a professional. I'm mechanically inclined but, I would have the dealer do the rejetting if needed. Someone please point me in the right direction. Could someone post pictures of their '04-'05 with forcewinder installed.

Thanks,
Bar

Take it slow, but take it.

Shu
4th March 2005, 19:15
It would intall exactly the same on the '04 as it would on the earlier models. Both the XR2 design and the original design would need the float bowl vent in the elbow modified. With either one you will need a carb support bracket. With the original style you would need a head breather kit of some sort. You should not have to rejet going from the SE to the FW. It is really not tough to install. The part numbers for the '03 bikes (same CV Carb) will work on your '04/'05. Here it is on my 00.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/212Engine.jpg

Bar
4th March 2005, 20:27
Thanks Shu, so your telling me I should be able to buy the FW 's that are listed for up to '03 Sportsters because the carb's are the same as '04.? Can you simply use a dremel tool to modify the bowl vent. I thought the original design was fine and you only need to modify the XR2 to look like the original FW. Sorry if these questions seem stupid, I'm just really ready to make the change and want to get it right the first time. Did the braided lines on your bike come with the FW?

Thanks Again,

Bar

Shu
4th March 2005, 22:20
No change in carb or mount holes, so yes, the '03 Forcewinder will work. There is no difference in the Forcewinder and Forcewinder XR2 elbow. So you would need to make the modification to either one (only the older ones came precast the right way). You can use your dremel to make the mod, that is what I did. The braided lines do not come as part of the kit, those are mine as well as the head breather bolts and covers are mine too.

Bar
7th March 2005, 01:59
Shu, is the FW universal or is it bike specific. I've seen some for sale off of a BT at a good price and would like to know if it would fit my Sportster. If the two bikes have the same carb they should fit right or is the mounting different.

Thanks Again,
Bar

Shu
8th March 2005, 17:11
As long as the FW is designed to fit a CV40 carb, it'll bolt on just fine. The head breather kit and carb support kit for a BT is different than for the Sportster though. So if you stick to the orginal FW and not the XR2, then the elbow will fit, and then you'd just have to buy the carb support bracket and head breather kit you want.

xllent01
8th March 2005, 22:33
The XR2 FW has the breather tube running to the bottom

of the filter element. Both use the same filter, except for XR2
has the breather tube venting oily mist back into the carb throat
area. Photo shows the new pi thon clamp by Force motor products.
Check out http://www.useforce.com (http://www.useforce.com/) for all the Force lineup.

http://www.useforce.com/whatsnew/pi-thon-clamp-lg.jpg

xllent01
8th March 2005, 23:44
Here is the Forcewinder like Shu, but i run a different

breather setup. This is the old style Force that i

run on a 01 model.:yikes

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/537/224sporty_forcewinder-med.jpg

crackers
8th March 2005, 23:52
i like the look of these.
one question.
how do the forcewinder's run in the rain.
do they get too wet, and suck water in??

cheers
crackers

xllent01
9th March 2005, 00:03
i like the look of these.
one question.
how do the forcewinder's run in the rain.
do they get too wet, and suck water in??

cheers
crackers

They have a sock that goes over the filter element for the rain.
If you keep them well oiled, you should not have a problem.
I dont go out and play in the rain, but if i get caught in a summer
thunderstorm thats a different story all together.:yikes

crackers
9th March 2005, 00:19
They have a sock that goes over the filter element for the rain.
If you keep them well oiled, you should not have a problem.
I dont go out and play in the rain, but if i get caught in a summer
thunderstorm thats a different story all together.:yikes

i'm talking about full on rain storms.
on the bike and drenched before i get out of the driveway :p

a bit expensive for a summer only item
(especially since our summer is only 3 weeks long, and not necessarily consectively :rolleyes:)

cheers
crackers

xllent01
9th March 2005, 00:34
If you ride in mostly rain showers than this is not the filter

you want to buy for your bike. For the average 15-20 minute
summer shower you will be ok. Sorry about the confusion. :D

Bar
9th March 2005, 02:10
Here is the Forcewinder like Shu, but i run a different

breather setup. This is the old style Force that i

run on a 01 model.:yikes

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/537/224sporty_forcewinder-med.jpg

I would like to use a Wimmer crankcase breather kit with the forcewinder like the bike at this link: http://www.rmgconstruction.com/bike.htm however when I contacted Wimmer by e-mail about purchasing the breather kit, they said it would not work with the forcewinder. I do not see why it would not! This style is suppose to elimanate all the line/hoses and is not directly connected to either intake. Am I missing something here? What do you guy's think?

Bar