PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead need some help... getting the ignition click

btodailly
16th September 2008, 03:37
ok. before the flaming let me say that i read the stickies and also that i know almost nothing about electronics on the bike.

i was changing my rear suspension using a hydraulic motorcycle lift and finally got done with everything i wanted to do while it was on the lift. went to start it up and take it for a test ride and bike wouldnt start.

all of my lights shined brightly, brake lights shined brighter when pressed. gas gauge light even worked when i turned on and off the killswitch. they didnt dim when i tried starting it or anything. it just clicked. and it sounded like it was coming from the right rear

and now its too dark to check anything.

i went on a 324 mile trek yesterday but everything worked when i cut it off yesterday and let it sit and came back to cut it on.

i didnt try cutting it on before i started working.

only thing i could think of is if i pinched or moved something with the actual lift, because i didnt touch anything

i need to check the connections but i have no idea how to. what am i looking for, what wires, and where are they located?

superwarden
16th September 2008, 03:39
What kind of bike are we talking about? I mean year, is it stock, been chopped? Give us some details and I think we can help you out.

btodailly
16th September 2008, 03:42
weird that it isnt posting my bike and model info on my user info....

84 xl roadster
pretty much stock for the most part. some of the wiring up top is done very badly at the headlight, but i havent touched it, and its worked for a year plus however long since the previous owner had done the wiring

IronMick
16th September 2008, 03:42
There are two parts that will click when you press the starter button and it does not start: a quiet click is the starter relay, a loud click is the starter solenoid.

If you would put the year of your bike in your profile [or wherever it goes] it will show up in the top right corner of all of your posts; that will make it easier to answer your questions. In this case we could then tell you where to look for these parts.

mikeLI_77
16th September 2008, 03:43
check your battery cables. Make sure they are tight. That's happened to me a few times and once I tightened up the battery cables it started right up.

btodailly
16th September 2008, 03:47
There are two parts that will click when you press the starter button and it does not start: a quiet click is the starter relay, a loud click is the starter solenoid.

If you would put the year of your bike in your profile [or wherever it goes] it will show up in the top right corner of all of your posts; that will make it easier to answer your questions. In this case we could then tell you where to look for these parts.

dont know whats quiet and whats loud for a starter, i know its not dead car battery loud though. but i can hear it and it clicks until i release it. and the sound is coming from rear near the right side

IronMick
16th September 2008, 04:02
On my 1980 the relay is under the seat and the solenoid is right next to the starter motor. I am quite certain that the sol on your bike is right there out in the open beside the starter motor, right side in the middle, behind the engine. I do not know the location of the relay.

You should be able to determine if the click is coming from the sol or not.

DogBunny
16th September 2008, 05:36
check your battery cables. Make sure they are tight. That's happened to me a few times and once I tightened up the battery cables it started right up.
what he said.

btodailly
16th September 2008, 05:48
On my 1980 the relay is under the seat and the solenoid is right next to the starter motor. I am quite certain that the sol on your bike is right there out in the open beside the starter motor, right side in the middle, behind the engine. I do not know the location of the relay.

You should be able to determine if the click is coming from the sol or not.

mick, you the man...

it was the relay under the seat. it was broke off from the connector.. got a different connector butt, and bam, everythings good