PDA

View Full Version : NOOB not a Poser

DoctorQ
18th September 2008, 00:14
Alright the MRS bought me a bike in July since then I have ridden it every possible moment Over 3k miles in two months. I finally feel semi-competant. It has been one the most painful and frieghtening experiences ever and Probobly on of my proudest achievemnts.

So what was just a way to get 60 MPG has truely become a passion. I went out for a long 200 mile ride today and loved every fricken minute. Still there are days I feel like that Wm. H macy dude in Wild Hogs.
My only regret is that I waited til I was 44 to learn to ride a motorcycle.
Whatch y'all think of Noobs??

wandrur
18th September 2008, 00:18
If you care about what you are doing and are intelligent enough to treat it and others with respect, I'll ride with you any time. Could care less if you've been on two wheels for two decades or two months.

scottgearman
18th September 2008, 00:19
I was 43 when I bought my first road bike, my 2005 1200C.
I wish I would have started earllier as well, Don't sweat the NOOB stuff and don't waist too much time reading all the dick measuring that goes on about who is a poser and who is legit. Sounds like you ENJOY riding and thats what matters.

DoctorQ
18th September 2008, 00:22
The first time I stalled at a light-I just want to get off the damn thing and walk away-after the next ten times-I got used to it. :D

mwheat308
18th September 2008, 00:31
I've been on bikes since 1961 or 1962 and I still stall at lights once in a while.
Don't sweat any of the POSER crap, just enjoy man. They didn't buy your ride, so who cares!!!!!!!
Mike

goatman67
18th September 2008, 00:36
its never to late to start riding, all that matters is you enjoy it!!

ride safe

t.c. Johnson
18th September 2008, 01:00
Every rider was once a noob. Don't let them tell you otherwise.

PaulDM
18th September 2008, 01:10
they said it all....

FiftySixer
18th September 2008, 01:15
Your among friends here - feel good and ride and ride to feel good.

Best regards,

FiftySixer

DoctorQ
18th September 2008, 01:27
Thanks to all! Eventhough my friend and neighbor was the sales mgr at the local HD shop-still felt like a douchebag the first time I walked in there.
Today after about a week straight of rain-74 and sunny-didn't wanna get off. :D

stealthammer
18th September 2008, 01:27
......Whatch y'all think of Noobs??

I'm jealous, no question.

I've been riding since I was 14 but still remember the sense of freedom and control of my own destiny that I felt for the first few years. Those years were spent learning to control the bike, and exploiting the opportunities presented by the increased the range of my "turf".

Then I put in 30-60k+ miles/year for the next 18+ years and I still remember the sense of freedom and control of my own destiny that I felt throughout those years. Those years were spent exploiting my ability to control the bike and establishing my dominance over the cagers that I "allowed" to share my turf.

Then I took break for ten years and rode and raced bicycles because of injuries and "legal" issues. No harm, no foul though. On a mountain bike or a road bike I could do things that would have gotten me killed or arrested on a motorcycle.

Fast-forward to today and I've been back on motorcycles for a while, and to be honest, I feel older and very "normal". The "wonder" of being a novice has long since passed, and the reflexes that made it possible to "shift time and space" have slowed. I still very much enjoy riding, but it's not really a "special" experience for me anymore. It's just another normal part of who I am and what I do.

But you know what? It's all just been part of the journey. The "wonder" of being new to riding eventually passed, and then riding gave me an appreciation for being alive that few cagers can ever know, and now it is just become "old hat". Savor each step for what it is, because it's all good as long as you get to ride.

Ride Safe.

BWP 5p
18th September 2008, 01:54

Most of us like anyone that rides!!!!!:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Danny3nose
18th September 2008, 02:11
Everybody Point And Laugh At The Noob!!!:p:smoke

Obviously, only kidding.:smoke

Everybody's gotta start somewhere! And the XLF is a good place for noobs and old hats alike.

DoctorQ
18th September 2008, 02:24
During riding class we were on retired cop bikes musta dropped that road king 20 times trying to make that damn U-turn. :D

Likemlouder
18th September 2008, 02:46
welcome from alabama. we all started somewhere. like stealthhammer. it"s just part of life for me . i keep on swapping and building but nothing brings back the feeling you have now enjoy it. ride safe:clap

oldjarhead
18th September 2008, 14:51
Alright the MRS bought me a bike in July since then I have ridden it every possible moment Over 3k miles in two months. I finally feel semi-competant. It has been one the most painful and frieghtening experiences ever and Probobly on of my proudest achievemnts.

So what was just a way to get 60 MPG has truely become a passion. I went out for a long 200 mile ride today and loved every fricken minute. Still there are days I feel like that Wm. H macy dude in Wild Hogs.

Your not alone, took the class and became legal on Aug 7th myself. Learning in some of the worst traffic in the Nation, but having a blast. I even found a bunch of little cones in wal mart that I use in empty parking lots still. I can toss my little Sporty around real well now, good feeling in heavy traffic. (-:

I am 48, and have not had this much fun since I was in the service way back in the day. :banana I am with ya, riding this bike is like an addiction. :tour

DoctorQ
18th September 2008, 15:01
Your not alone, took the class and became legal on Aug 7th myself. Learning in some of the worst traffic in the Nation, but having a blast. I even found a bunch of little cones in wal mart that I use in empty parking lots still. I can toss my little Sporty around real well now, good feeling in heavy traffic. (-:

I am 48, and have not had this much fun since I was in the service way back in the day. :banana I am with ya, riding this bike is like an addiction. :tour
USMC '81-'85 :salute:
Remember seeing the bike in the garage the first time. "Oh sh*t I gotta learn to drive the damn thing!" In the ER I've seen upclose and personal what can happen. But I'm finally at the point where I feel competant and safe...and addicted!:D

celtic
18th September 2008, 15:09
Well, I'm only a noob myself (started 4 years ago),

so you're in good company.

to be honest, the ones who have been riding the longest, the graybeards, are usually the nicest to noobs. they've been through it all and are just happy to be riding and see others ride.

so don't worry about it at all.

just enjoy yourself!

welcome aboard from Upstate NY.

bearsfan
18th September 2008, 15:15
The fact that you actually ride your bike disqualifies any poser talk.
Don't feel bad about making mistakes. It's all part of the learning process.

Kinda related story:
I was in a group ride the other day and a small group insisted on riding in the back because they couldn't be bothered with riding with newbies and such. Well somehow one of the most vocal members of the group ended up towards the middle near me. He kept passing me and then slowing back down to where I'd end up passing him. (riding staggered). I quickly understood why "newbies" would seem out of control around him - his riding style made me nervous, and I've been riding a while. I can only imagine how someone who is relatively new to riding would handle that...:frownthre

DoctorQ
18th September 2008, 15:22
The funniest thing-when our riding class graduated we all went for a group ride-the first curve comes up "zoop" two went flying into the bushes. Nobody got hurt-but it was very amusing. :D

buckhorns
18th September 2008, 15:44
Started riding when I turned 41. Bought and old , small, 71 Suzuki 100 cc that had belonged to a friends son. Gave him a HD for it and put another HD in it , fixing little things and I was hooked. Bought a new 82 Honda 650 Nighthawk ( the 41 year ) and have been riding since.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o177/buckhorns/nevertolate.jpg

oldjarhead
18th September 2008, 15:56
USMC '81-'85 :salute:
Remember seeing the bike in the garage the first time. "Oh sh*t I gotta learn to drive the damn thing!" In the ER I've seen upclose and personal what can happen. But I'm finally at the point where I feel competant and safe...and addicted!:D

Yea, have a cousin who was killed on one, friends . with years under your belt you have open eyes when you get on one. (-: Still, when I am not dripping is sweat in grinding traffic, it is such a great feeling. I have made a few rides at 100 miles each just for the joy of it. LoL And I really have done the old moto cop thing thing a lot with the cones. It has in 7 weeks taken the bike from big and scary to small, light and agile. It was well worth the effort. It has made mixing in with the traffic so much. . . . easier, added a lot of confidence. These people try to kill ya around here. LoL

No magic story on the Sporty, just walked in the Harley dealer, walked around and it was the one I liked. 883C, just felt right. No regrets, I like this thing a LOT. (-:

Oh, 78 to 82, USMC. Always good to meet fellow jarheads. The dudes today are sure earning that big old fat pay check :rolleyes:. . . . my hats off to all the "young-jarheads", all our boys today in fact. To old & smart these days to exclude any man who shows up and does his part, marine or not. :clap

shadecorp
18th September 2008, 17:28
DoctorQ;

Check this.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=314387

Well that didnt work.

shadecorp
18th September 2008, 17:32
Try this, maybe?

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=23949&highlight=newby+mistakes

ahernandez23
18th September 2008, 18:16
How's this for a new rider. It took me three post on this thread to figure out was a Noob was. Welcome to riding. My first bike is a Hog and at 40. Have fun riding. I always do. So far I have 8500miles on my bike it's only 8 1/2 months old.

Gone
20th September 2008, 00:50
If it makes you feel any better, I am a new rider and bike owner at 41 AND I am a girl. I understand how intimidating it can be to be off the porch running with the big dogs but everyone here has been so nice, you can't help but feel welcome!

kiltbill
20th September 2008, 00:52
The first time I stalled at a light-I just want to get off the damn thing and walk away-after the next ten times-I got used to it. :D

You stalled it 10 times!

Fenny
20th September 2008, 01:25
You stalled it 10 times!

LOL!!! You ARE bored!:laugh

We are/were all noobs at one point. All that matters is that you ride it and enjoy it.

Glad to hear your becoming 'one of us' lol:)

Guess I goota find MRS. that'll buy ME a new bike!:banana

oldjarhead
20th September 2008, 03:44
If it makes you feel any better, I am a new rider and bike owner at 41 AND I am a girl. I understand how intimidating it can be to be off the porch running with the big dogs but everyone here has been so nice, you can't help but feel welcome!

Hmmm . .where do us single men find you girls who have your own bikes? ((-:

Hand shake and congrats on riding your own, great feeling, isn't it? (-: I cant remember when I have had so much fun.

Gone
20th September 2008, 12:55
Hmmm . .where do us single men find you girls who have your own bikes? ((-:

Hand shake and congrats on riding your own, great feeling, isn't it? (-: I cant remember when I have had so much fun.

Thanks - it really is a great feeling. Not sure about the single girls with bikes thing - I am married so I have been out of touch with the singles scene for a while. :) But it is a very good question - we should start a thread and find out!!

chacon101
20th September 2008, 14:55

Maybe I am a dork but I think Wm. H. Macy's character was the only non poser of the group in that movie. Hmm, maybe because he is kinda a white, older, skinnier version of me. :laugh

As for your new found love of riding...welcome! I find that even though my bike can go pretty fast, I sometimes just like to ride slow. Motorcycles are great :tour

MNewYork
20th September 2008, 15:23
I remember when I first started riding ( I was 17 and that as over 40 years ago) – when I pulled into the High School parking lot and parked next to the other 3 bikers I felt like a NOOB. Feeling like a noob isn’t a bad thing – it means you’re trying new stuff and that’s what living is all about. As far as HD Shops - I still feel like a jerk walking into an HD shop – the cool factor, tough-guy factor, the poser-factor – it all just puts me off. But I do love the bike and that’s what really matters.