PDA

View Full Version : I know, I know, another rejet question

alleydude
21st February 2005, 23:34
Okay, this whole business of rejetting has me confused enough, but I went to the local Dealership today to get the rejet kit for the wife's '04, right? With me so far? So I gets there and the guy at the parts counter says "We don't stock the SE rejet kit because people have had so much trouble with it. We recommend the Yost Power Tube (http://www.yostperformance.com/products/motorcycles_cv40.php) ". Not surprisingly, they had the Yost Power Tube IN STOCK.

Okay, I've never heard of the Yost Power Tube (http://www.yostperformance.com/products/motorcycles_cv40.php) , but maybe you have. Seems it used the original jet in the stock carb, but has this "tube" with holes in it that "mists" the fuel allowing better combustion (if I understand correctly).

Anyone here had any experiance with the Yost Power Tube (http://www.yostperformance.com/products/motorcycles_cv40.php)? Would you recommend it over the SE rejet kit? By the way, the Yost is $139 (at our local HD dealer), the SE kit is $79. :censor

pquirk
21st February 2005, 23:39
Others who have direct experience with it will chime in, but I can tell you that it is not a replacement for rejetting, it's an "in addition to" rejetting. You'll still rejet. I'd suggest you tell the dealer to keep it and just by the jets you need and perhaps the '88 needle. That'll set you back a grand total of ~$15. If you're not happy you can still buy the expensive stuff.

alleydude
21st February 2005, 23:42
Okay, good. So with this bit of knowledge, and understanding that I can't afford to do both (right now), would you recommend doing the SE rejet first (or buy itself, if nothing else)?

alleydude
21st February 2005, 23:47
I see you did some editing right before I posted. Thanks for the info. Now here's something... The parts counter guy said I couldn't order the parts seperately. What do you think about that?

pquirk
21st February 2005, 23:50
Yeah, just buy the jets you need and leave it at that. Is it a 883 or 1200? You may be fine without even retting and adjusting the idle mixture, but that depends on a lot of other stuff too. What pipes do you go with, do you go with the SE A/C. Me, or someone else can geive you suggestions for which jets to get with that info.

pquirk
21st February 2005, 23:51
I see you did some editing right before I posted. Thanks for the info. Now here's something... The parts counter guy said I couldn't order the parts seperately. What do you think about that?I think you need a new parts guy, that's B.S. If you can't get the parts at the dealer any indy can get 'em, or J&P, etc.

alleydude
21st February 2005, 23:55
Good stuff. The bike is an '04 XL883C with SEII Slip-Ons. That's it, so far. It runs GREAT as is, but have been reading that it could run a lot better with a rejet and SE air cleaner. Maybe I'm nuts for even wanting to fix something that doesn't seem broke, but I also thought it would be a lot less complex than it is.

Any help is ALWAYS appreciated.

freakyt
22nd February 2005, 00:03
Parts guy is definatlly giving you the run around. It is true that he can't order the parts of the SE kit seperate (only one MoCo part number), but he CAN order the Kehin carb parts (jets, needles) indivdually from MoCo. I got an '88 needle from my HD dealer, they didn't soak me.

Since money is an issue, I suggest you stay away from that SE kit. You should get an '88 needle, run your stock jets, and see what that puts you. Might be too lean, might be too right, but you won't destory your bike doing this (unless you suck a paper towel in your manifold when your carb is off or something like that).

On a side note, I have some friendly advice for removing your carb:
To do a needle, you should take the carb out of the bike. That means disconnection the throttle linkage. Use the adjusters on the cables up by the throttle grip, and you'll get the cables off of the carb linkage in a snap. Also, those float bowl screws are mighty tricky. I got the ones off my Sporty with no problems, but one of them on my Wide Glide rounded off, and it was tough to get it out of the carb. If I would have taken the carb off the bike to start with, I would not have rounded off that screw.

Just take your time, cover your tracks, mix in a lot of TLC with this project, and you'll come out of it with a better running bike, and a hell of a lot more knowlege if something goes wrong on the road and there is no dealer to help you out.

freakyt
22nd February 2005, 00:09
Wait a minute, he has an 883. Is it a good idea to go to an '88 needle on an 883? I imagine he can start at the stock 'lean' jets and go from there. On a 1200, doing this puts you about right on mixture-wise, maybe a tad off, but good enough for most crusiers.

d_dieffenbach
22nd February 2005, 00:24
alleydude I to was told by my dealer that the yost power tube was the thing that they recommended. I tryed to install it myself I followed the instructions my bike ran like crap. I then took it to the dealer to have them install the yost power tube. It was only $50.00 I think isn't to bad.they then told me at the service counter that the yost power tube wasn't for the backyard mechanic. anyhow my 1200 runs real good now I also intalled a hypercharger to. man the difference is night and day. I not saying it can't be done by yourself just letting you know from some experience i had. I thought the rejet sounded simple don't know what I did wrong but sometime it nice just to bite the bullet and pay for convenience.

maddog
22nd February 2005, 00:31
alleydude
Chief Know It All

alleydude..How did you become a "Chief Know It All?"
I see you laying in the middle of the road wondering "Where did my bike go?" and asking about "Jet's 101."
Just Curious.

pquirk
22nd February 2005, 00:33
Wait a minute, he has an 883. Is it a good idea to go to an '88 needle on an 883? I imagine he can start at the stock 'lean' jets and go from there. On a 1200, doing this puts you about right on mixture-wise, maybe a tad off, but good enough for most crusiers.It's an empirical question, that can't be answered without doing the experiment. On mine I lost the midrange when I put on new pipes, the '88 needle brought it right back.
Alleydude, With the SE II muffs you'll be doing yourself a favor going with a high-flow A/C, SE or otherwise.

alleydude
22nd February 2005, 00:34
I didn't pick the title under my name. It came with the number of posts I've made. If I could, I'd change it to "Oh my GOD, You killed KENNY!"

Rejetting is new territory for me. I really don't know everything, I just try to convince everyone that I do. :D

alleydude
22nd February 2005, 00:35
It's an empirical question, that can't be answered without doing the experiment. On mine I lost the midrange when I put on new pipes, the '88 needle brought it right back.
Alleydude, With the SE II muffs you'll be doing yourself a favor going with a high-flow A/C, SE or otherwise.

Would you say hold off on the jetting and just do the A/C first?

freakyt
22nd February 2005, 00:41
d_dieffenbach:

Have you checked your carb after the dealer installed your tube? I wonder if they changed the jets or the needle for you (at least the pilot jet).....

You know, if the Yost tube had more holes in it than the stock tube...it would let more gas though, right? Maybe your getting the same affect that a $5 jet would give you? Just my opinion, maybe they really do work. Expenisve as hell though, wow. There are better things to spend money on.

freakyt
22nd February 2005, 00:42
I'd say do both the a/c and the jets the same time. That way you only have to re-jet once. Jetting should only cost you $10 or so. However, you seem to be hung up on that SE kit, which will work well I'm sure....

alleydude
22nd February 2005, 00:45
I'd say do both the a/c and the jets the same time. That way you only have to re-jet once. Jetting should only cost you $10 or so. However, you seem to be hung up on that SE kit, which will work well I'm sure....

Not really hung up on the kit, just that the parts guy said I had to buy the WHOLE kit. If I can get the job done for 1/8 the cost, I'm all for it.

Thanks for all the tips, by the way. Mucho appreciated.

barry1967
22nd February 2005, 00:45
alleydude
Chief Know It All

alleydude..How did you become a "Chief Know It All?"
I see you laying in the middle of the road wondering "Where did my bike go?" and asking about "Jet's 101."
Just Curious.

:frownthre :frownthre :frownthre

It doen't say WHAT he is "Chief know it all" of though.

It could be widgits for all we know. :D

barry1967
22nd February 2005, 00:51
You know, if the Yost tube had more holes in it than the stock tube...it would let more gas though, right?

Actually, as per Stevo, our expert Aussie ;) , the holes add more air to the mix creating a leaner condition.

He had a post about it but I can't find it right now,

TechRep
22nd February 2005, 01:10
Alleydude,
Here is a link to an article about paying the "Harley Tax", and it has some re-jetting information. He measured the 88 needle and does not recommend it.

harley tax (http://www.sportster.org/tech/basic-perf/harley-tax.txt)

stevo
22nd February 2005, 01:52
OK OK OK

Jet kits are designed to do nothing more than releive you of the burden in your wallet.....
Dynojet, Thunderslide,Yost....etc etc tec

Sure they can be made to run well with some of these kits sometimes......but it's like buying a new bike just because the tires are worn....

the newer series needles are very similar to the old 88 needle that was the "fix" for everything and the 88 needle will gain you little if nothing in a newer bike.

The carb has one job and one job only.... to meter the correct fuel/air ratio for the conditions...

If you bike runs fine then leave it alone...............

If it's not quite right then tell us where ya think it's got probs and we can steer you in the right direction

VettesRule
22nd February 2005, 02:00
I have a question...how do you know if it is running right?

What are the spark plugs supposed to look like? I just re-jetted with a 45/180 after slip ons and a SE a/c and my plugs look white as a sheet of paper and I am at 3500 ft. above sea level.

stevo
22nd February 2005, 02:24
How is it running.... when ya crack the throttle does it just pull???

or does it surge or cough or backfire????

if it's not doin anything wrong then just go out and ride it....

Lookin at my paperwork you've gone up one on the pilot and left the main which is what I find most want...ya don't wanna stick a heap of fuel in it at that altitude 'cos ya havn't got as much oxygen as at sea level...

I'd say ya damn close

here's a quick link to spark plug reading..........anything less than that and ya wastin your time.

Now these links are for leaded racing fuels, street fuel doesn't read as clearly and tends to leave a lot less colour.

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/reading-spark-plugs.html

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/how-to-read-plugs.html

pquirk
22nd February 2005, 02:42
Well Alleydude, there ya have it, opinions are like A-holes...you know the rest. Bottom line is every bike is different and nobody lives in exactly the same place as you or had their bike set up by the same dealer-yahoo-mech, etc. so nobody's opinion (mine included) is the right one. If you want to get by one the cheap, don't do anything to the carb and see how it goes. Chances are it'll run lean and you can adjust accordingly based on the symptoms. Just keep in mind what works for others won't necessarily work for you. So to answer your question: I'd do the A/C since you already did the pipes because pipes alone won't help the power until you get more air flow. Ride it like that for a good 50mi and see how she rides and what the plugs look like. Let us know the results and go from there. However, if you're happy with the power and you just wanted the slip-on for the sound AND the plugs look good to hell with the A/C and the rejet. :tour

alleydude
22nd February 2005, 03:27
Good advice, everyone. Thanks for all the input. I guess we'll just leave well enough along, for now. At least until the 1200 upgrade next winter... :D

freakyt
22nd February 2005, 04:17
Sure, it's up to you, right? It's a free world (for now anyway). Just keep in mind that if you add an air cleaner, your further leaning out an already lean mixture. I can't be there to tell for sure, but the Harleys that come form the factory are already damn lean courtesy of the EPA.

I changed my needle and jets in my bike this winter. On that little ride I took it for, I noticed one thing very different. More power the whole way round. At least, it felt like it, especially at WOT (Wide Open Throttle). All because of that new needle.

See, before, both my Sporty and my Wide Glide fell on their a*s at WOT. There was actually more power at about 9/10 throttle. Not after I took out that anemic stock needle. It feels a hell of a lot better now, man. I ran it up there for a while, and cut the throttle, pulled over, pulled out a plug. Nice brown-ish tan color, very nice burn. It's good enough for me. I havn't rode it much yet (damn snow) but I can't wait to take it on a long trip and see what my milelage is like. I'm not thinking it will be too different. I have very few carb farts (even in the cold), and I have that nice pop pop pop when I let off the throttle and I engine brake, I LOVE that sound.

Bottom line is I'm damn glad I changed out that needle. It wasn't hard, and it gave me great results. I should appoligize for earlier, I think me and a few of the other guys assumed you knew what 'paying the tax' was. Jets (you have two, a pilot and a main) are like $4 each, and a needle is like $7, I think.

All of the gimik jetting kits that I've seen come with a couple of generic non-Kehin jets, maybe a needle and maybe a spring. $10 in parts for the deal of only $50 or something like that. One of them I saw even came with a drill bit and a screw to pull out the aluminum plug! Come on! I think most anyone here can manage to round up a drill bit and an old self-tapping screw.

JP and most of the places on the net don't really carry all of the needles for the CV, but your dealer should have them. So for under 20 bucks, you can have yourself a new feeling bike. Actual power doesn't increase much, but the torque curve of a well tuned carb feels great!

maddog
23rd February 2005, 02:06
I didn't pick the title under my name. It came with the number of posts I've made. If I could, I'd change it to "Oh my GOD, You killed KENNY!"

I hear you alleyd..those titles under the avatar don't follow any rhyme or reason. You got changed 'cause of a lot of posts. I have 35 more than you and have never been changed. There's a newbie named Kath who's been around a week I think and got biker or something put under her avatar.
On V-Twin Forum your CP Page gives you an option to pick your own title.

Killing Kenny is cool. I'd go with,
Charter Member:
Vast Right Wing Conspiracy