PDA

View Full Version : Looking for that Harley potato sound

coolxlc
27th September 2008, 02:40
I have SE II slip ons. I like the sound at low speeds or steady speeds. but when accelerating that potato sound goes away until I get up to a steady speed in 5th. I like the sound of VH straightshots slip ons, they keep that potato sound at all speeds, including accelerating. I just dont have the $ to spend for new slip ons. I drilled out the holes in the baffles larger and it did make them a bit louder, but it did 'nothing' to bring out that potato sound.
Any one know if there is any thing more I can do to my SE II baffles to get that sound I'm looking for... Thanks.

obinella
27th September 2008, 02:45
only hog's from Idaho have the potato-potato sound down pat. the rest are posers at best.

Gone
27th September 2008, 05:26
hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahah ahahhahahhahahahahahahaha

Gone
27th September 2008, 05:54
taller cams will get what you're looking for

flameryder
27th September 2008, 10:14
I have SE II slip ons. I like the sound at low speeds or steady speeds. but when accelerating that potato sound goes away until I get up to a steady speed in 5th. I like the sound of VH straightshots slip ons, they keep that potato sound at all speeds, including accelerating. I just dont have the $ to spend for new slip ons. I drilled out the holes in the baffles larger and it did make them a bit louder, but it did 'nothing' to bring out that potato sound.
Any one know if there is any thing more I can do to my SE II baffles to get that sound I'm looking for... Thanks.

Have you considered Big City Thunder Monster Baffles!? :clap :D

coolxlc
27th September 2008, 17:09
Hey man, we grow a lot of potatos in Michigan too, but it dont do much for the sound of my bike. I did look in to BCT but kind of expensive for baffles and I'm not sure they will give me the sound I want. I do think taller cams would help but I dont know the cost or if it could cause other problems with the motor. I'm trying to make my SE II sound like VH straightshots with out spending the $. Unless some one can tell me different, in about 8 hours I'm going to cut a 1"square hole on the top of the baffle and hope like he11 it's not to loud, if it is to loud, then I will need to come up with the $ somehow for new baffles or slip on's...

flameryder
27th September 2008, 19:42
When it comes to performance and the sound you're seeking, I strongly suggest that you DON'T MICKEY MOUSE IT!!! I think most forum members will agree that it'll cost you a lot more down the road, not only financially but emotionally (disappointment) as a result. Do it right, you'll be MUCH happier. You get what you pay for. Time is cheap, patience is priceless. :tour

xllent01
27th September 2008, 19:47
Unless your looking for down right obnoxious pipes, most or all baffles or pipes will tone right down at highway speeds until you
either downshift or flog the hell outta your machine from the get go to bring them alive..

it kinda becomes a catch 22 proposition..

Folkie
27th September 2008, 19:52
Unless your looking for down right obnoxious pipes, most or all baffles or pipes will tone right down at highway speeds until you either downshift or flog the hell outta your machine from the get go to bring them alive..it's kinda a catch 22 proposition..http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.com/forum/images/smilies/zh_smilies/sign0156.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/Baza/odds%20and%20sods/fly.gif

coolxlc
28th September 2008, 00:55
Looks like I'm not explaining this right. I have no problem with the sound at highway speeds or slow speeds even the idle sounds good with a cool potato sound. My only problem is when accelerating, the faster I accelerate the more it sounds like a Honda. So what I want is for it to keep that Harley sound when accelerating like it has at all other speeds. Do you guys see what I mean? Or is this not possible with a stock motor?...

xllent01
28th September 2008, 01:05
It's not the motor...it's the exhaust system you are running is too restricted, also i dunno what kinda A/C system you are running, but that would help to up-grade to a better one also if you didn't already to help the whole system flow better by completing the whole stage 1..

Weo
28th September 2008, 01:29
Looks like I'm not explaining this right. I have no problem with the sound at highway speeds or slow speeds even the idle sounds good with a cool potato sound. My only problem is when accelerating, the faster I accelerate the more it sounds like a Honda. So what I want is for it to keep that Harley sound when accelerating like it has at all other speeds. Do you guys see what I mean? Or is this not possible with a stock motor?...

It sounds like you want that chug-a-lug sound V-Twins make driving leisurely... The thing is, running that low doesn't put you into the power band of the motor. Learn to love the rev:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk-mV4ybQgw&feature=related

Bada Bing
28th September 2008, 02:10
Went from SE to Cycle Shacks to the Vance And Hines Sideshots with BCT baffles. The SE sound great at idle as the CS, The CS a little louder at cruise speed. The V&H really did the job and even better with the BCT baffles.

flameryder
28th September 2008, 03:00
It's not the motor...it's the exhaust system you are running is too restricted, also i dunno what kinda A/C system you are running, but that would help to up-grade to a better one also if you didn't already to help the whole system flow better by completing the whole stage 1..

xllent01 is exactly right, there is no in between. If you want it you have to do it the correct way. It sometimes costs a lot more than we would like to spend, even more, because it doesn't often come together the first, or even second try. It is definitely an experiment in spending money, but it's well worth it for the end result, your satisfaction. I've gone through the same kind of experience that Bada Bing states, most of us have. I don't believe in shortcuts, especially with my sporty. :smoke

coolxlc
29th September 2008, 01:34
UP-DATE

Well like some of you said I may need to spend money to get the sound I want. I went out last night, but I didn't cut out a 1" square hole, I drilled 2 7/16" holes instead. Made it louder all-around, but I did get a small improvement with the potato sound when accelerating, but not as much as I would like. I dont want the pipes any louder then they are now, so I will just let it go for now untill I can find a way to come up with the $ to buy the sound I want...
Thanks for the advice.

sirbOOm
30th September 2008, 03:00
Firstly, you have a Sportster, which is either an 883 or a 1200. The bigger Harley engines are going to be better at making the low rumble you're thinking of. That aside, I heard an 883 the other day with pipes that the guy apparently spent $150 on that sounded great! Pissed me off, actually, because I have 2009 Nightster and it sounds... okay. He also kept up with me no problem, which ticked me off even more. Going to have my bike looked at as a result.

Okay finally to the point, haha. The guy with the 883 had straight pipes. I couldn't say if he had torque cones or not, but he had straight pipes. Every Harley I've ever heard that had that "potato" sound had medium to long straight pipes. Every Harley I've heard with short pipes sounded sorta... undeveloped. So there's that.

I heard a Sportster the other day with Samson ripsaws. It had a great potato sound. It also, when you let off the gas quickly, would make this scary and awesome roaring sound which just plain kicked @$$!

Anyway, think about a V8. The ones that sucked in and spit out the most air are the ones that sound the best. Those Japanese V8's that have that very controlled sound... well, they sound good... but they don't have any sort of muscle sound. You want muscle... so get the air flowing.

Folkie
30th September 2008, 07:44
I thing you make a good point about the longer pipes. I put V&H Double Barrels on my '05, and the sound was fantastic; sounded like a much bigger bike. Too loud for me though, so I added Smartpartz baffles:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll251/Folkie_XL/Le_Pera_Sanora_6.jpg