PDA

View Full Version : Ammo purchase restrictions?

Gone
27th September 2008, 15:25
does anyone know about the ATF restrictions on purchase of large quantities of ammo? it may or may not exist but a friend of mine bought over 2000 rounds at a local sporting goods store when they had a good sale. the cops were called and he was severely interrogated for being a terrorist. :doh since we added 4 new guns in a week, we need to do some shopping. i dont want to be interrogated especially with the boyfriend being a Marine. :censor he would fly off the handle.

bigjnsa
27th September 2008, 15:32
Well if he was buying .22 ammo, that's only 2 boxes ;) What I do is get one box of .45 ACP and .22 a month. I've got a *nice* stock pile. I hope the ATF isn't reading this thread!

747 FlightEngineer
27th September 2008, 15:34
It's getting to the point that you can own guns but can't buy Ammo. That way the anti-gun fanatics in congress can say that they are not against gun owners. Ain't that right Obama, Schumer, Reid, Pelosi, Kennedy, Kerry, & the other lying thieves that was sent to Washington to serve the people but instead they serve themselves. In another post I will gladly tell you how I really feel.

Gone
27th September 2008, 15:40
lmfao you guys rock

in a week we added....
a 1911, an M4, a .410 O/U, and a 20 O/U

superwarden
27th September 2008, 16:05
Ammo restrictions are the next big thing in gun control. So far I think the NRA is mostly silent on it as well. The politicians have learned that gun control is political suicide so now they are trying their hand at ammo.

Gone
27th September 2008, 16:21
other than political opinion... does anyone have any numbers? or is it a free for all and my buddy just got some stupid person tryin to cause drama?

bigjnsa
27th September 2008, 16:26
other than political opinion... does anyone have any numbers? or is it a free for all and my buddy just got some stupid person tryin to cause drama?

I can't find any specific number, but be reasonable. Don't expect to buy 10,000 rounds without raising some questions.

Gone
27th September 2008, 17:39
hmmm...
10,000 rounds is reasonable in my opinion. LOL

747 FlightEngineer
27th September 2008, 17:48
hmmm...
10,000 rounds is reasonable in my opinion. LOL

But does that include grenades and LAW's?:laugh

quintonw
27th September 2008, 18:06
it is best to keep a low profile.depending on where he bought it it must have been unusual for that store.i buy more than that at gun shows no problem.

DogBunny
27th September 2008, 18:24
When my ammo is four or five years old, I use it up. Question to those of you who are stockpiling -- isn't old ammo a bad thing?

milmat1
27th September 2008, 18:28
When my ammo is four or five years old, I use it up. Question to those of you who are stockpiling -- isn't old ammo a bad thing?

Depends on how it is stored !! The military stores ammo for years !

raysheen
27th September 2008, 21:09
no limit at the federal level...I just bought over 15k of milsurp in one order a few months back. You just got someone who said "oh my god thousands of rounds of ammo! call the cops!" I would contact their manager or the store that sold it and tell them that this is a big problem. There is no reason for someone to be calling the cops on a small 2k sale. Heck I know people that will shoot 1k+ in a good weekend....not so much anymore with the prices the way they are but it's not unreasonable if you are at a formal shoot. In short there aren't any laws about how much ammo you can buy...as someone else said, this is certainly the next step in gun control though. Buy online...prices are often better and many places have a 1k minimum. Tell anyone that contacts you about a large ammo purchase (including the police) to piss off as you have done nothing wrong. :)

raysheen
27th September 2008, 21:17
old ammo can be a great thing if you can get it at a bargain! We're shooting some surplus non-corrosive US ammo from the 50's and 60's...always goes bang...nobody knows the lifespan but it is expected to be a long time. I have some sealed cans of bulgarian 5.45x45 that use corrosive primers...these are expected to last well over 100 years. I wouldn't be surprised if they hit 200 and were still good to go. Ammo ages pretty darn well actually...assuming that it is stored in good conditions of course.

Gone
27th September 2008, 21:57
thanks guys!
how do you buy ammo when it's illegal to mail? how do you receive it?

DogBunny
27th September 2008, 22:16
old ammo can be a great thing if you can get it at a bargain! We're shooting some surplus non-corrosive US ammo from the 50's and 60's...always goes bang...nobody knows the lifespan but it is expected to be a long time. I have some sealed cans of bulgarian 5.45x45 that use corrosive primers...these are expected to last well over 100 years. I wouldn't be surprised if they hit 200 and were still good to go. Ammo ages pretty darn well actually...assuming that it is stored in good conditions of course.
Thanks for the replies. I bought some ammo (decent brand) at a gun show few a years ago... When I finally looked at it, it had a little rust and corrosion on it. No way I was going to run that through a semi-automatic hand gun, not even for practice. I've been a little gun-shy (ha-ha) about old ammo ever since.
I'm still wondering what to do with it -- give it to the firemen for disposal?

Gone
27th September 2008, 22:47
my boyfriend was shooting rounds from vietnam when he was in iraq in 03.

Mr.Hick
27th September 2008, 22:53
shooting rounds from vietnam? lol We had .50cal ammo from korea and 2 when we were in afghanistan, and you want to talk about old munitions you should see how long Demolitions are stored for. We were using original det cord from the early 60's and Comp B flake from the 40's. lol.

And on the shipment of ammo I believe it has to be shipped to you're local dealer and then you can go pick it up... I maybe wrong though.

raysheen
27th September 2008, 23:12
thanks guys!
how do you buy ammo when it's illegal to mail? how do you receive it?
it is only illegal to send through the US Postal system. Using FedEx and/or UPS is perfectly legal and generally you can save a ton over local prices. The UPS guy wasn't all that excited about brining that 15k to my door though. :rolleyes: No license is required and it can be shipped directly to your door...there are a few federal regulations on how the boxes have to be marked, but the shippers are very used to this and all ship in correctly marked boxes. www.aimsurplus.com (http://www.aimsurplus.com) and www.wideners.com (http://www.wideners.com) both have pretty good prices. www.ammoman.com (http://www.ammoman.com) is another fairly popular place.

bigjnsa
27th September 2008, 23:29
I keep my ammo in the closet of my computer room. Nice and dark and dry. Plus a few clips hidden around the house just in case Mr. Burglar surprises me ;)

hallma1
28th September 2008, 03:53
I load my own. Bullets (components) can be purchased 500 - 1000 rounds in bulk. Same thing for brass and primers. 1 lb of powder can load a LOT of rounds. Yeah, it's a little extra work, but I enjoy the hobby and it lets me shoot a lot more than I could if I was shooting factory ammo.

03GRUNT51
28th September 2008, 14:13
shooting rounds from vietnam? lol We had .50cal ammo from korea and 2 when we were in afghanistan, and you want to talk about old munitions you should see how long Demolitions are stored for. We were using original det cord from the early 60's and Comp B flake from the 40's. lol.

And on the shipment of ammo I believe it has to be shipped to you're local dealer and then you can go pick it up... I maybe wrong though.

LOL! Yeah some of our demo was older then dirt too. I believe most of the c-4 was newer but the tnt and dynamite was most likely pre-korea era. Still makes a big boom though!

johncj5
27th October 2008, 16:35
The UPS guy wasn't all that excited about brining that 15k to my door though.

I never bought that much at once. My UPS guy is pretty cool about deliveries and even knows where to hide it if I'm not home. He grumbles a bit when the orders are too heavy, but the most I get at once is around 3k.

quintonw
27th October 2008, 18:21
I agree,to 10,000 is a good round number.It is best bought at gun shows or make several trips so you wont bring attantion to your self.It hasent got bad yet,wait until nobamma takes charge.

johncj5
30th October 2008, 17:06
I agree,to 10,000 is a good round number.It is best bought at gun shows or make several trips so you wont bring attantion to your self.It hasent got bad yet,wait until nobamma takes charge.

There shouldn't even be an issue of bringing attention to yourself. It's just as legal to buy 10,000 rounds of ammo as 10,000 jars of peanut butter.

The only time I've ever got funny looks at a sporting goods store was when I bought a ski mask for snowmobiling while I was there picking up a AK-47 that I ordered previously.:laugh

DogBunny
30th October 2008, 17:43
There shouldn't even be an issue of bringing attention to yourself. It's just as legal to buy 10,000 rounds of ammo as 10,000 jars of peanut butter.

The only time I've ever got funny looks at a sporting goods store was when I bought a ski mask for snowmobiling while I was there picking up a AK-47 that I ordered previously.:laugh
I agree that buying a ski mask and a gun at the same time is just as legal as buying peanut butter. But it's just asking to be put on a government watch list.

I have guns and a carry permit not so much to protect myself from criminals, but to defend myself from the authorities when the time comes and they are out of control and they are the criminals.

superwarden
30th October 2008, 18:34
The only federal law covers if you are going to resell it.....

raysheen
30th October 2008, 20:16
The only federal law covers if you are going to resell it.....
Which federal law would you be referring to? I don't know of many federal laws regarding the sale of ammunition...unless you are talking about shipping regs. You don't need a license to buy/resell ammo...I've done it in the past. But I am curious as to the law you are talking about just the same. :)

johncj5
30th October 2008, 23:36
I agree that buying a ski mask and a gun at the same time is just as legal as buying peanut butter. But it's just asking to be put on a government watch list.

Not where I shop.