PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Install on EFI Bike... "That" Easy?

MusclePump
1st October 2008, 02:00
I saw the man himself (that's Jeffytune) do a dandy job on my pipes; I have a '05 883L--carb of course. My buddy wants my help putting the pipes on his EFI '07 883C. Is it really as easy as taking the old ones off, changing the gaskets, placing the new slips on in place of the old, and bolting back up? Surely there's something more difficult to it than that? Or am I just confused because of the steps taken to drill out my carb, changing the A/C at the same time, etc...

MusclePump
3rd October 2008, 05:04
anyone? :)

wandrur
3rd October 2008, 05:25
Haven't done an EFI exhaust change myself, but, yes, it shouldn't be a huge deal! I can't imagine what any other issues might be...don't forget to reinstall the O2 sensors. ;)

Screw Loose Dan
3rd October 2008, 06:02
As far as the mechanics, yes it's that simple. Essentially the same for the EFI's as any other rubbermount. The only difference would be if you are changing out the header pipe, swap the O2 sensor to the new pipe. But it just unbolts...nothing fancy (use an open end wrench). Use anti-sieze compound on the threads of the O2 sensors if you take them out.

Now, there's been great debates on here as to whether or not you need to remap or worry about your fuel mixture. My personal opinion is put the new pipes on (or new pipes and new A/C) and ride it for a while and see if the bike runs lean or not. If it does, you need to do something about it...

BigMark
3rd October 2008, 07:21
Piece of cake to do, if you are removing the headers do yourself a favour and unclip the o2 sensors from the loom (one clip is on the far side of the front down tube, the other is in the void between the battery and the rear cylinder tight to the back)
Makes things MUCH easier when you are pulling of the headers.
As an aside the SE head gaskets are a lot better qualtiy than the standard "mesh" gaskets, while your sorting the pipes you may as well swap these out IMO.
Have CS slipons on mine and it runs like a dream, no need for any remap
Mark

MusclePump
3rd October 2008, 19:16
thank you all!

Takingabreak
3rd October 2008, 19:19
You need me to come on up to lend a hand?

goinsideways136
3rd October 2008, 19:34
my gaskets have lasted 3 exhaust changes and still no leaks...crazy.

Jackster
3rd October 2008, 19:55
The hardest part is taking off the bolts and putting the new ones on. That, and taking the O2 sensors out and putting them on the new pipes.

MusclePump
4th October 2008, 22:48
How do I detach those sensors? (I'm assuming that's what those deals are that go into it)

wandrur
5th October 2008, 01:09
How do I detach those sensors? (I'm assuming that's what those deals are that go into it)

There's a clip that disconnects the wires that is about halfway between the sensor and the ECM (hard plastic, should be pretty obvious), and the sensor should be a 22mm or 7/8. I think these are roughly similar in size. 22mm fit best for me. I think someone mentioned to just disconnect the wiring harness, then remove the pipes, and then remove the sensors. They're a little bit easier to get to that way.