PDA

View Full Version : Do you split lanes?

Zundfolge
1st October 2008, 04:14
I use my bike to commute to work and back, mostly through heavy traffic. lane splitting is legal here, I mostly see kids on crotch rockets doing it.
I still stay in the normal traffic lanes for the most part.
What do you do?

funnythebunny
1st October 2008, 04:17
It's illegal here in NY, so I stay in my lane. If traffic is completely stopped, I will split lanes just to get me a little further ahead or to the first available exit, provided there's room on both sides for clearing cars' mirrors, my mirrors, handlebars & saddlebags...

Ireeman
1st October 2008, 04:17
It can be usefull, but i dont as it is also extreemly dangerous.

kilroykarr
1st October 2008, 04:22
I don’t do it. In south Florida it’s dangerous just riding normal. Splitting lanes is crazy to do here. i am never in a hurry while riding my bike.

ocezam
1st October 2008, 04:30
It's legal here (Colorado) and if traffic is really bad I do it. But I'm very carefull while doing it.

daggar rider
1st October 2008, 04:32
nopp its illegle in FL and as already stated its dangerous enough just ridding in one lane

747 FlightEngineer
1st October 2008, 04:43
Doing it is the same as playing Russian Roullet. Somewhere the bullet is going to fire off.

hobbituk
1st October 2008, 04:48
its second nature over here in the UK

drummerboy4as
1st October 2008, 04:51
I do it probably too much. I don't go much faster than the cars, maybe 5-10 miles an hour. Seems safer to me than waiting for someone to not see ya and smack ya in the rear.

Paulie420
1st October 2008, 04:54
I voted yes, because I used to live in California and split when I felt it was safe.

However, now I live in Arizona and I don't split. #1, it's illegal. I don't want a ticket. #2, and more importantly, people here think your an ass if you do it. I could see them trying to hurt you because of ignorance (and anger).

So, I don't split NOW, but when in Cali I do when I feel it's safe.

minuo
1st October 2008, 04:56
It's legal here (Colorado) and if traffic is really bad I do it. But I'm very carefull while doing it.

ocezam,

you might wanna re-check the law before you do it in Johnny Law's sight... ;)

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=co

krono
1st October 2008, 04:59
On the Harley I usually split when the rest of traffic is stopped.
On my dirt bike, everything goes, I jump to the walking area, cross across a park, ride across walkonly area, etc

GBag
1st October 2008, 05:11
I never split. It's also illegal here in NY. Most of the roads up here have a seam between lanes as well, so getting between 2 cars or trucks & then having to do the seam/tar snake dance does not strike me as a very safe choice.

humpbackbob
1st October 2008, 05:23
It is illegal here in Texas, but Leo turns a blind eye when IH35 comes to a standstill,which is every week AM & PM. Air cooled motors don't like sitting still in hot weather and the M/C Cops seem to understand that. So....the answer is only in the Summer during Rush Hours,and then very gingerly.

risotteria
1st October 2008, 05:29
it's illegal here yet i do it any time traffic is slow, riding on the shoulder will get you a ticket ,yet lane splitting is ignored .the cops do it..and way faster.as an aside if a car intentionally tries to cause u harm with their car in nyc&nys they can be brouht on felony charges ranging from simple assualt to attempted murder......................we have a voice in ny...............and many patrolmen ride so they side. with us...if it happens get the tag # and report them, in nyc most of the blues ride so they will support you especially if u ride american,

idiggplants
1st October 2008, 05:45
its illegal here in PA... but i wouldn't do it anyways. i've personally heard people bitch about bikes doing it. including a few from california and other states where it is legal. id imagine most people don't think its legal, nor do they like it. i could see some asshole swerving and taking me out...

as a new-ish rider, i've never had to deal with heavy traffic on a 2 lane road. no idea what id do if it was stopped traffic. probably 5mph down the shoulder to the next exit... for the sole reason of the bike overheating. and even then id be worried to shit about screws and other shit in my tires.

khaskins
1st October 2008, 05:48
I'm very careful about doing it, it is legal in CA but here in the LA area most drivers are distracted by too many things to take an extra risk. I'll do it on a backed up freeway but not if traffic is going faster than 45. On the streets I'll only split to get up to the front of the line at the traffic light when it is safe. Cagers tend to squeeze you if you try to do it. The sport bike riders have everyone freaked out with the stunting on the freeways and lane splitting at 100+ miles an hour. They give the rest of the mc riders a bad name.

Erik
1st October 2008, 06:11
In the Netherlands it is common knowledge for both bikers and cagers that during rush hours, the bikes are allowed to pass between the outer left lane and the one on the right off it.But only driving with +10/15 km's faster then the slow traffic.
There are a lot of bikers doing that (including me). It even is a reason for much of the extra bikes sold here last years.

If I approach double or tripple lanes of jammed cars, I never ever stand still and thus being the last one in line hoping i won't be crushed into by the next cager on the phone.
I always work my way up just a few cars by splitting lanes.If the jam is long i'll go through with it.

Phracas
1st October 2008, 06:27
Illegal here in Washington State. Don't think I'd even do it in another state where its legal. If for no other reason than I have no experience on how to do it properly.

64physhy
1st October 2008, 06:29
I split. I'm actually quite comfortable with it, but I only do it when traffic is going less than 35, and I won't exceed 35 while lane splitting. I keep a careful eye on the vehicles in front of me and watch the drivers in their mirrors. There's the occasional Jackass who tries to squeeze over a little, but I'd say people try to give up some room more often.

unfiguroutable
1st October 2008, 07:09
every day. dont understand why any one wouldnt "lane share". there is drive time and there is ride time. i prefer ride time.

XL 50
1st October 2008, 07:13
Yes, but not faster that 130 (had the wife on), for real. Of course that wasn't on my Sporty.

shotgun46
1st October 2008, 07:38
I wish it was legal Here In Michigan with the traffic and Stoopid Drivers !

sadden
1st October 2008, 07:43
I split lanes under the following conditions:

No faster than 40 mph.
Cars are "nutt to butt" in their lanes.
oh, and the obvious there is room. :doh

Nzhasher
1st October 2008, 08:37
Yep, Its legal here in the UK, but only in certain situations. Its called 'filtering'
ie the bike is allowed ( slowly ) between lanes if the traffic is stopped, or in a slow rolling traffic jamb. Doing this at anywhere near the speed limit will have you ticketed, as will using the inside or outside verges.
Traffic like this is common in the UK. Domestic routes such as A and B roads are often based upon medieval coach tracks! - which in turn were based upon Roman carts! yep.

BigMark
1st October 2008, 08:40
As has been said it's standard practice over here in the UK.
Share the same perameters as has been mentioned, less than 40 mph and in real traffic not just driving like a nut

RIORoosen
1st October 2008, 09:58
Like Erik mentioned it is legal here in the Netherlands, but only under certain circumstances. The law does advocate motorcycles splitting lanes as it reduces traffic, but if you are splitting the lane and get clipped, by default...it's your fault.
Splitting is only allowed during traffic jams and you are not allowed to exceed traffic speed by more than 5km/hr.
I do it everyday on my way to and from work.
Never had a resentful driver try to squeeze me, but have had to slap a door every now and then to let the woman driver on her cellphone, doing her make-up know that it would be great if she could get off the center line!:doh

Specialk250
1st October 2008, 10:24
It's illegal here in NY... so I do it when its necessary.
In other words.... super slow or not moving at all traffic. And even then I'm going around 10 - 25 mph at the very most. If the cops want to give me a ticket, let them. At least I wasn't sitting around and waiting for some ignorant bozo to crush me with his junk-wagon.

steelworker
1st October 2008, 10:50
As mentioned by the other UK riders, it's legal , and I do it all the time, but give the traffic time to see me. I can't see the point of sitting in traffic when you're on a bike. Just about everybody splits lanes over here, where most car drivers seem to be more aware of bikes these days, and will make room for you.

goinsideways136
1st October 2008, 11:16
wish it was legal here in alaska. who knew there is actually quite a bit of traffic in the last frontier?

mwheat308
1st October 2008, 12:04
I don't split lanes, but here in Texas you have to watch out for the cowboys spitting
out the window. Could cause a fight.
I really think if it were legal, it would irratate to many people to be worth it.
Just my .02

bclerk
1st October 2008, 14:25
Yep - All the time, 10-15 mph faster than stalled or slowed traffic, and pretty much always at stop lights. It's legal here and it's a big plus as I use my bike to commute daily.

beuz
1st October 2008, 14:35
Not legal in France but policemen close their eyes if you ride carefully.
Traffic in Paris is incredible and it's really useful to spit lanes...

onevette80
1st October 2008, 15:08
You think people get fired up when you pass them on a motorcycle. I used to ride my bicycle 12 miles to work, and talk about people screaming at you. Theyd be stopped in traffic and Id split them at 30+mph. Funny thing is, theyd get even mader if they were moving 20 or so and you still passed them.
I rarely do it on my Harley though. Im much more agile on a bicycle.

bigjnsa
1st October 2008, 15:13
I've only done it on some occasions. With my highway pegs I have to be careful and judge the right amount of space between cars. What I usually do is ride down the median if the traffic is slow. Nothing fast, just enough to keep an eye out and react if anything comes up.

tandk1597
1st October 2008, 15:15
I do it, but only in rare situations, & dead stopped traffic.
Pretty dangerous thing to do here in NY.

rdgzoe
1st October 2008, 16:37
It is illegel in Maryland but some kids on crotch rockets do it at the Bay Bridge and cause these massive police chases. With whole groups

Swankster
1st October 2008, 16:45
Hell yeh, of course! and thank God the Libs haven't passed laws against lane splitting here In CA, which is quite a surprise when you think about it.
Swankster

jason43
1st October 2008, 19:17
Its also illegal here in VA, and can get you a reckless driving ticket I'm pretty sure. Hell, in VA you can't even ride two bikes to a lane although we do it anyway. Our bike laws suck ass here. The only time I'll 'split lanes' is more of a close pass. like the two cars are too close to switch lanes all the way, I'll cruise up the middle and switch once I get far enough ahead of the second car...

djs
1st October 2008, 19:25
i try not to do it, but have been known too occasionally do it on slow moving parkways and to the front of stopped traffic at red lights.
Have been stopped once for doing it at a red light, no ticket just a warning.

Kwest187
1st October 2008, 21:16
I've done it a few times...usually if there is a traffic jam and everyone is stopped...I'll move into the middle and slowly "rev" pass drivers...I try to let them know I'm coming pass and always try to look in their side mirrors to see if they see me...one day someone will open a door on my sorry ass and I won't do it anymore...

Maniac72
1st October 2008, 21:20
Would surley like to buuuut alot of my daily riding is on a military post or on some of the 10 year, and not yet complete, road work in my area. Makes it rough.

cian
1st October 2008, 21:23
I used to do it her in norcal, untill some idiot hit me..:censor..so now I don't due it unless I have to get out of the way of some one

rokclmb
1st October 2008, 22:04
I voted yes becuase if I could I would, but I don't think it's legal in FL. I used to all the time when I lived in Japan.

rokclmb
1st October 2008, 22:08
...If for no other reason than I have no experience on how to do it properly.

Then how do you do anything. Everybody starts something new with no experince.

Tyberius
1st October 2008, 22:22
I voted "no" because I don't really do it on my commute via 94, but I just did it last night trying to get to the Sox game on time (riding left of the line of cars up the exit ramp to get to 35th street)

RoadChick
1st October 2008, 22:25
I try and stay in the lanes as much as possible. But, since I use my bike to commute to work I do split lanes occasionally. Today was one of those days. It is legal here in CA.

fafcpa
1st October 2008, 22:32
Lane splitting not legal in CT but it appears so dangerous to me that even if it were legal I would not.

However, when at a light and wanting to get into a lane with shorter back up, I will go around a car to get where I want to go. MOst of the time it is to make a turn from an indicated lane.

Fred

Phracas
1st October 2008, 23:10
Then how do you do anything. Everybody starts something new with no experince.

Heh, true. I was referring more to the law/rules. I don't know what they are, if there are any.

Coxbow
1st October 2008, 23:20
I do it all day long ! It's legal, and a big advantage when you're 80% of your 10K miles a year in heavy traffic, in fact I donít understand states who donít permit this, whatís their reason ?

We even have a reserved spot right before the traffic light ! Cars have to stay behind and leave that spot free for us bikers !

Starting January 2009 we can even use lanes reserved to busses and cabs ! The city is encouraging people to ride bikes instead of cars to avoid traffic jams; I think every major city with traffic problems should do the sameÖ

Albie1200
1st October 2008, 23:38
I split pretty much every time I ride the bike. Traffic in So Cal is to horrible not to.

Costeve
1st October 2008, 23:59

You know - I believe that to be a Myth - about it being Legal in Colorado, California and anywhere else for that matter... being an accident investigator for quite a few years and auditing regulations in MANY States including California and Colorado, I have never found any law, statute, vehicle code, etc. that allows it. In California, the law simply does NOT state that it is Illegal to share a lane with another vehicle.

Honestly guys - no matter how safe you feel doing it, and no matter how slow you are going - it is NEVER a good idea - I have seen too many bad things come of it. Look at it this way.... If you DO split lanes, and something happens that a driver of a car that you are passing happens to open their door, stick their arm out of the window, make ANY SORT of movement with their vehicle, and it causes you to come into contact with them.... you WILL be at fault and most likely EXTREMELY injured in the process...

It is just one more way that we can avoid taking an uncalculatable risk - When we come to an intersection, generally the first priority is to attempt to guage which car is going to pull out in front of you first and take steps to avoid it - Well while splitting lanes, that ability is not only deminished, but non existent.

My two Pence..... I will exit my soap box now!

Kobo
2nd October 2008, 00:25
No. It's not worth the danger to me and it's illegal. I was in Cali this summer and it is unreal how "normal" it seems to split lanes there. Everyone does it, it seems. They have noise constraints on exhausts and riders are riding like that? Not being a hater, but hats off to those of you in L.A. who ride those split lanes so skillfully.

drumballer
2nd October 2008, 01:37
Man I think that it's crazy!! My best friend Lives in San Bernardino and when I went ou to see him I saw the guys splitting lanes and I think it's just insane!! I can understand if traffic is at a standstill like we were in bun I also saw them doing it at full on Highway speed! Thats takes balls!! I'm glad I live in kansas where I dont have to worry about the traffic or even splitting lanes! To each his own but I dont think I would do it very much!

ocezam
2nd October 2008, 01:39
ocezam,

Thanks man! I was sure it was legal back in the 70's and 80's. Hey that's what I get for gettin' old.

toe
2nd October 2008, 02:03
What I don't understand is why drivers don't get that splitting lanes helps them...............

If the motorcycle is splitting lanes, it's not taking up the space of a car in the lane; thus they move forward 1 car for every motorcycle that's splitting............

toe
2nd October 2008, 02:03
No. It's not worth the danger to me and it's illegal. I was in Cali this summer and it is unreal how "normal" it seems to split lanes there. Everyone does it, it seems. They have noise constraints on exhausts and riders are riding like that? Not being hater, but hats off to those of you in L.A. who ride those split lanes so skillfully.

The best way to learn is to follow a CHP motor officer.........

(if you can keep up :D )

Laker
2nd October 2008, 02:41
I've never done it and I rode in L.A. for a decade during the 70's. Just never even thought about it. There were guys doing it all the time of course.

jimmyess333
2nd October 2008, 02:58
Nope, never.
Even if it was legal here I wouldn't.
I give cars their full lane and I expect the same from them.
It's called courtesy and right of way, a lost concept these days.
From a road rage standpoint, splitting lanes is one of the things that make cagers want to do something stupid to us.
I get REALLY pissed when a car lane splits with me, in other words, passes from behind with two wheels still in my lane.
Give me some F**KIN SPACE A**H***!

SteeltownXL
2nd October 2008, 03:54
I don't split while rolling in traffic, not comfortable yet with my change in locations. I do split the lanes at a light to get a jump on traffic though, makes for a lot more clear riding to the next light during rush hour.

Steeltown

ugocon
2nd October 2008, 08:33
Ehm... :rolleyes:
Here in Italy, and especially in Rome where I live, if you don't split lanes with a bike or a scooter you are seen as a perfect idiot! :p
I think there are interpretations of the law that assume it's illegal, but I can say that it is even encouraged by local police to make the traffic flow faster...
In Italian cities, with narrow streets and lot of cars that have become bigger during time, the traffic jam can be dramatic and there's a great diffusion of scooters to get quickly to where you want you go.
When a traffic light is red, you see a bunch of scooters and bikes in front of cars waiting for the green light.
BTW, lane splitting with cars is not allowed for sure and only few idiots do it.

Ciao
Ugo

steelworker
2nd October 2008, 08:56
BTW, lane splitting with cars is not allowed for sure and only few idiots do it.
Ciao
Ugo

:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh Only in Italy! Welcome to the Forum, Ugo.

motor1kienast
2nd October 2008, 11:43
Splitting lanes does help seperate the motorcycles from the slower accelerating vehicles, and that is a good satey factor for a motor. I split lanes daily here in NC. It is illegal. Never had a problem here. Blue lights and siren make all the difference.

Fackler Rebel
2nd October 2008, 17:23
As a rule of thumb, I do not do it. But once coming back from Alabama, headed to Arkansas on I-10, I was about 8 miles from the Louisiana line and west bound traffic was stopped in both lanes. I very carefully, read that slowly, wound my way through 8 miles of stalled traffic and eased back in line as I came up on the wreck.

Reb

aleson
2nd October 2008, 18:05
:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh Only in Italy! Welcome to the Forum, Ugo.

Naah - I saw people doing it with cars here in UK too ;)

I used to split lanes when I was in Italy and I do it in UK too - I agree it's dangerous but I would pass 3 hours stuck in the traffic if I didn't - try to go slow and be very careful though.

I think it's most dangerous to pass on the inside.

wandrur
2nd October 2008, 18:06

ocezam,

Thanks man! I was sure it was legal back in the 70's and 80's. Hey that's what I get for gettin' old.

And if you really want it from the horse's mouth, see the Colorado Revised Statutes:

42-4-1503. Operating motorcycles on roadways laned for traffic.

(1) All motorcycles are entitled to full use of a traffic lane, and no motor vehicle shall be driven in such a manner as to deprive any motorcycle of the full use of a traffic lane. This subsection (1) shall not apply to motorcycles operated two abreast in a single lane.

(2) The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake or pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken.

(3) No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.

(4) Motorcycles shall not be operated more than two abreast in a single lane.

(5) Subsections (2) and (3) of this section shall not apply to police officers in the performance of their official duties.

(6) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class A traffic infraction.

I wouldn't do it even if it was legal. Well, probably not... :doh

Trynot2die
2nd October 2008, 18:17
Not sure whether it is legal here in TX or not, but I do it. I don't get carried away with it, but I will move to the front at stoplights if there is a semi or big truck in front of me that a) will probably make me miss the light because they accelerate so slow and b) are more likely to kick something up with their tires that will hurt me. I also do it in extremely slow or standstill traffic on the highway, but never much faster than the other vehicles cause people like to make sudden lane changes in those situations.

Streak70
2nd October 2008, 18:45
TN2D -
Last time I checked it was not specifically prohibited. The statutes are silent about it, but you and I know that TX LEO will do what they want.
I use it about like you do, after making sure none of them are around. I'm more likely to use an entrance or exit ramp as a passing lane.

Not sure whether it is legal here in TX or not, but I do it. I don't get carried away with it, but I will move to the front at stoplights if there is a semi or big truck in front of me that a) will probably make me miss the light because they accelerate so slow and b) are more likely to kick something up with their tires that will hurt me. I also do it in extremely slow or standstill traffic on the highway, but never much faster than the other vehicles cause people like to make sudden lane changes in those situations.

jharback
2nd October 2008, 22:56
Here in Italy it's common practice. You either learn to ride/drive like the natives here or your constantly in fender benders with the crazies.

aleson
2nd October 2008, 23:12
Here in Italy it's common practice. You either learn to ride/drive like the natives here or your constantly in fender benders with the crazies.

Which I think works in any part of the world right? Did you learn to ride like Valentino Rossi?

jharback
2nd October 2008, 23:32
Which I think works in any part of the world right? Did you learn to ride like Valentino Rossi?

Only in my dreams. :laugh

ugocon
3rd October 2008, 00:02
Actually, there's a risk for bikers splitting lanes in Italy... but only if you use the emergency lane on highways!
In that case some cops could suspend your driving license...:frownone

So I ALWAYS split internal lanes, finding my way through the external mirrors of cars! :p

This is the only way to reach the opposite side of Rome in half an hour...;)

Ciao
Ugo

Kobo
3rd October 2008, 04:12
The best way to learn is to follow a CHP motor officer.........

(if you can keep up :D )

Do you also have those plastic balls hanging off you license plate? :laugh

Scooter_Trash
3rd October 2008, 04:16
It's illegal here, but I do it when the Interstates turn into parking lots.

Ivan RoachCoach
3rd October 2008, 21:34
...I'm a biker with the ability and means to be agile, not some SUV pilot planted like a tree in his lane.

It's illegal here in Florida, just like speeding, but I do both anyway.
I've been ticketed for it three times in the past twenty-plus years, and each time I simply went to court and demanded to go before a judge or hearing officer.
All three times, the state offered to reduce the fine and eliminate the points on my license that the infraction entails.
Like any good haggler, I insisted on having my day in court, no matter how much the state threatened to levy "court costs", on top of the fine, if I lost my case.

Guess what?
In all three instances, the case was dismissed.
In most states it's simply not cost-effective to follow through on prosecuting a traffic-offense case once the defendant has rejected accepting the traffic-school option.
At that point, you are now costing the state money instead of generating it for the court system.

Fauxsuper
4th October 2008, 18:06
I've done it for years, and I have over 100,000 miles on freeways in LA/Orange County. If done correctly (which means you can't filter through the cars and trucks by going 40 mph when everyone else is stopped, etc.) there is probably not much statistical difference between splitting lanes and getting rear ended as far as injury/accident rates. Drivers in cars judge following distances by looking at the car in front of you, not your bike.

I've often found that the main detriment to lane splitting is that it pisses some drivers off to the point where they try to squeeze you out or prevent you from lane splitting by going as close to the car next to them as they can. I've nearly been crushed by a soccer mom in a mini-van full of kids. The only times I've thought I might be in danger has been from deliberate movements by drivers

You do have to pay close attention to movements of tires, drivers head movements and even make eye contact in mirrors. Special attention needs to be taken when an open space that another driver might want to jump lanes into exists.

The motorcycling community needs to do more PR about this, Drivers need to understand that if weren't on bikes, We'd be in cars and the freeways would be even more crowded, and that by riding bikes, We're making the commute easier, less congested and quicker for everyone.

Fourcats
4th October 2008, 19:44
I split lanes in Socal for years, got one ticket for going thru traffic to fast. :smoke The cop had a hard time catching me, but did explain "the rules" to me.
Maximum speed of 15mph faster than traffic, up to 35mph.
Go between #1 & #2 lanes.
Move over for faster bikes.
Watch out near for "openings" and when traffic is slowing from speed.

Its not legal here, but having the "tools" is better than not.

oyakodon
5th October 2008, 12:23
It's legal here as long as you don't cross a yellow line so I do it all the time. Some intersections have two lines painted in them -- the rear one is for cars and the forward one is for motorcycles and scooters that have filtered up.

pbudrovic
5th October 2008, 12:48
It's normal here in Dubrovnik but illegal and all of bikers do it all day long.

BradNailer
5th October 2008, 12:53
I don't, but only because it's illegal. When I lived in california I did it all the time and the worst that ever happened is that I bumped a guys mirror.
If it were legal to do here I would, but only when traffic is stopped (which happens anytime someone is sitting on the side of the road).
Riding motorcycles is dangerous. That's just the way it is. If you want to stay safe then stay home.

Lud
8th October 2008, 20:56
There is a ficticious story about some guys who rode about with a guy called Lud .. who lane split up to 130mph.. this got a little scarey but in the story they covered 80+ miles in about an hour, Rugby to heathrow.

some of the jams that we have over here can get you lane splitting for 10-20 miles if your unlucky enough to get caught in one - A303 on a bank holiday...... gets kinda tiring after 10 miles or so

aleson
10th October 2008, 09:36
There is a ficticious story about some guys who rode about with a guy called Lud .. who lane split up to 130mph.. this got a little scarey but in the story they covered 80+ miles in about an hour, Rugby to heathrow.

some of the jams that we have over here can get you lane splitting for 10-20 miles if your unlucky enough to get caught in one - A303 on a bank holiday...... gets kinda tiring after 10 miles or so

I know what you mean... I normally do it on the Northern Circular... splitting lanes is unavoidable here...:o

Unix
10th October 2008, 11:08
splitting lanes is normal here, not entirely legal, but police don't mind. 99,9% of drivers make room if they see u splitting, but some try to block u. In a recent motorcycle magazine they gave away stickers to try to make drivers more aware of motorcycles on the road, i put one on my car, it says "We can all fit".
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/4122/pazdziernikfoty08005rx5.jpg

in the US-of-A , you have the infrastructure to make splitting lanes legal (i mean your roads are much wider than those in Europe), the only reason i can see for not doing it is because your drivers seem to have some kind of anger management problem... education is the key to success.

Teehaml
10th October 2008, 11:50
In NJ it is not legal. There is a bill in the NJ Legislature to form a team to study the consideration of it though... Tee :D

goatman67
10th October 2008, 12:25
not legal here in Michigan

aleson
10th October 2008, 17:11
splitting lanes is normal here, not entirely legal, but police don't mind. 99,9% of drivers make room if they see u splitting, but some try to block u. In a recent motorcycle magazine they gave away stickers to try to make drivers more aware of motorcycles on the road, i put one on my car, it says "We can all fit".
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/4122/pazdziernikfoty08005rx5.jpg

in the US-of-A , you have the infrastructure to make splitting lanes legal (i mean your roads are much wider than those in Europe), the only reason i can see for not doing it is because your drivers seem to have some kind of anger management problem... education is the key to success.

You guys should be fined for wearing a hat instead of an helmet and riding with one hand while splitting lanes!:doh

jpenney
10th October 2008, 18:10
I wish splitting were legal in Missouri.

1. It would get me home a little faster

2. Less risk of a rear-end accident, the most common accident I see on the road. Anytime I'm last in line I am watching my mirrors like crazy. I want the buffer of the other cars!

3. It would be an incentive for people to choose motorcycles as their transportation.

4. Jam + air cooled motor = suck! My GS locked up once on I-70. I pulled off for a few minutes to cool and took the shoulder.

Swankster
10th October 2008, 18:23
I highly suggest you watch this and be shocked as well.
If this is a daily ride for this dude, his nerves must be shot by rides end
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-MtXymQkjs&search=motorcycle

Swankster

steelworker
10th October 2008, 19:34
Swankster

Don't you just hate the daily grind of commuting? Whether it's slightly speeded up or not, that is totally mental:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

oyakodon
13th October 2008, 13:12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-MtXymQkjs&search=motorcycle

Swankster

All that hurry and he couldn't be bothered to get an ETC (http://www.its.go.jp/ITS/2002HBook/section2/2-1e.html)

:doh

hobbygodz
13th October 2008, 14:14
I broke into a cold sweat watching that nutter. He won't get to be an old biker.

RIORoosen
13th October 2008, 14:20
This guy is obviously riding too fast while splitting the lanes, :shhhh
but this is basically what my morning commute looks like as well.
If I drive my car it takes me up to 45 minutes on really slow moving days...and on the bike...15 minutes...no matter how congested the roads are.
And I'd gladly take that extra little bit of stress while riding my morning commute to be able to sleep in an extra 20 minutes in the morning!:D

flameryder
13th October 2008, 21:09
When I lived in SO. CAL I split lanes every chance I could. That's one of the great advantages of riding a motorcycle, especially in all that bumper to bumper traffic! If you use common sense, then the safety issue is not in question. The C.H.P. actually recommend and encourage lane splitting. If you don't have any common sense (IQ of room temp.) you shouldn't be driving or riding anything on any road anywhere....PERIOD! :smoke

buffaloaz
13th October 2008, 23:38
In AZ it's illegal but in heavy rush hour traffic i will sometimes. I'd rather risk a ticket than get nailed by some illegal with no insurance,we got lots of them out here:frownthre

tall1
2nd November 2008, 15:41
I'm very careful about doing it, it is legal in CA but here in the LA area most drivers are distracted by too many things to take an extra risk. I'll do it on a backed up freeway but not if traffic is going faster than 45. On the streets I'll only split to get up to the front of the line at the traffic light when it is safe. Cagers tend to squeeze you if you try to do it. The sport bike riders have everyone freaked out with the stunting on the freeways and lane splitting at 100+ miles an hour. They give the rest of the mc riders a bad name.

Very good point on the stunters...I remember how freaky it was one day driving my open top early Bronco down the 101 in Phoenix at about 70mph, when a guy on a Kawasaki blew by me like I was standing still, riding a wheelie until he was out of sight:wonderlan He was moving over a 100mph for sure and the sound of those pipes as he screamed by about scared the crap out of me! Impressive riding skill but I thought"this kid ain't going to be in this world much longer"!!

stealthammer
2nd November 2008, 21:12
I use to be one of those "lunatics" that split the lanes on the L.A. freeway system each and every day. My MO at the time was to minimize the duration of proximity to any one vehicle based on the thought that the longer I was close enough to notice the better chance there was that some idiot would react badly to my presence. I also used the drivers blindspot as a "safe zone". Over a twenty year period I had ten times as many close calls at intersections as I did from splitting the lanes. But that was back when my reflexs were sharp and I rode with absolute conviction.

Today I seldom put myself in that type of a situation because most of the time I putt. I still don't mind if a skilled biker wants to share my lane, but I really see far more squids on the road today than ever before, both on two wheels and on four. Times change. A lot of things use to be safe, or only marginally unsafe, that are plain deadly today.

Cell phones, 10k watt sound systems, pi$$ poor drivers ed, and the lack of fear impossed by the development of "safer" cars has led to the point that driving in considered to be nothing more dangerous than sitting at a computer or in front of a tv. Basically, the "safer" people percieve themselves to be in a car the more dangerous they are to everyone around them. That makes what was taking a calculated risk, pure suicide today.

dirt rider
2nd November 2008, 21:15
It's not legal here in British Columbia. Riding with other bikes, you can pull up at a light, but should stay staggered to prevent a ticket. I'll pass ONE car to turn right at a stop sign or red light if there is plenty of room. I'll share the curb lane with parked cars if it's wide enough, but be very carefull not to pass a car on my left when the right lane is about to become clear.

Likemlouder
3rd November 2008, 06:12
no it is illegal here . but some do it anyway. not me:doh

Sporting Lad
3rd November 2008, 07:28
At home in British Columbia it's illegal, and I don't think I'd have the guts to do it anyway.
I just got back from Rome. Holey Cheese, you gotta be kidding me--there must be like at least a million scooters within the city limits and traffic laws are treated as "guidelines" or "suggestions". Everybody is splitting and passing with centimeters to spare, and that traffic is moving, man! When I first saw it I figured these guys (half are women) must be getting killed in the hundreds every single day. They are totally insane. After about a week I noticed that Italian drivers aren't crazy--they're incredibly skilled. They all drive fast, but the entire time I was there I never saw one accident.
We North Americans seem to think we're the world's best drivers but, unless
you've seen European traffic, you ain't seen nothin'!
I'll never complain about our traffic again! Roman commuting really is a daily adventure.

BTW-- I saw three XLs in Rome, but they were going too fast for me to meet the riders!

RIORoosen
3rd November 2008, 09:58
We North Americans seem to think we're the world's best drivers but, unless
you've seen European traffic, you ain't seen nothin'!

Finally, a little R_E_S_P_E_C_T!! :D

Sporting Lad
3rd November 2008, 20:34
Finally, a little R_E_S_P_E_C_T!! :D

(My "Dennis Hopper voice"): "Where you from, man?" :D

BigMark
3rd November 2008, 20:37
Having been splitting lanes today (legal and common in the UK) I got nailed by a car so all I can say is take care guys, ride safe!

RIORoosen
4th November 2008, 11:10
(My "Dennis Hopper voice"): "Where you from, man?" :D

Hey S.L.,
Born in Amsterdam, but raised all over the world..13 years in the US, so know what it's like to drive over on your side of the pond...and like you said...you ain't seen nothing till ya try to drive around the city centers of Europe... Paris, Amsterdam, London, Milan, Rome...get from A to B in one of these towns and you've proven yourself worthy! :D

crustyxpunk
11th November 2008, 02:04
I split lanes everyday, why spend my time stuck in trafic? All cagers are just jealous because they cant do it, maybe it will give them some incentive to trade that gas guzzling hummer in for a scoot :] It may be dangerous but then again riding a bike in general is dangerous, so to me, if your worried about every little thing that might happen on your bike then why ride at all?