PDA

View Full Version : Coming clean

willprevale
23rd February 2005, 15:32
planb asked... So what all did you do to your bike, I know you were seeking advice on a good suspension set-up.

With all my years of experience, I'm embarassed to say :shhhh but I can't help anyone if I'm not willing to share my follies as well as my successes. I got lazy and let my air pressures go unchecked. It happened so gradually, it threw me for a loss. I was beginning to think I had serious problems. I questioned Lola's abilities as well as my own. It didn't even dawn on me until a friend suggested it. Once seen to, Lola returned to her old nimble self. That being said, I picked up a lot of good info on frame geometry and handling. I'll be installing 13 1/2" Progressives as soon as someone want to trade for 12 1/2"s .

I feel not unlike a dufus!

Kath
23rd February 2005, 16:13
Is someone not doing their T-CLOCS on a routine basis? :frownthre:

willprevale
23rd February 2005, 16:15
I think it's called being human. If ya learn from my mistakes, we both win!

Darhawk
23rd February 2005, 16:53
After an oil change, do any of you know how far the oil will shoot out of the reserve tank if you forget to put the cap back on before starting the bike.................I do.:frownthre

flathead45
23rd February 2005, 16:56
thanks will , I think my tyres are low . now I will remember to check 'em (I'll forget , watch)

willprevale
23rd February 2005, 17:55
Thanks for sharing guys. I think we all make mistakes. It's what we learn from them that counts.

Kath
23rd February 2005, 18:05
Ok...shall I post my most embarassing motorcycle mistake?

My 1st bike was a little Virago 250...which has a chain. So, I go in the shed to get the can of chain lube and I proceed to squirt it on the chain. After about 2 or 3 squirts, my husband shrieks at me and I look down and notice that I'm spraying Plexus on my chain :D

willprevale
23rd February 2005, 18:07
Ok...shall I post my most embarassing motorcycle mistake?

let's do that. Let's share our maintenance bloopers!

Kath
23rd February 2005, 18:40
Ok, here's another one and this was a blooper for both me and my husband. My engine guards came so we went to put them on. We had never done this before so we read the directions and got everything all ready...no biggie at all it seemed like. We took the cap off the top of the shock and hubby loosened the bolt at the top. All the sudden, thump. The back of the bike fell down about oh maybe an inch (which seemed like about 12 at the time). We looked at each other with eyes all big.....DOH! Does anyone know how heavy the back end of a bike is while you are lifting up on it so you can get the bolt back in....I do? HA :D

gamhill
23rd February 2005, 19:14
After an oil change, do any of you know how far the oil will shoot out of the reserve tank if you forget to put the cap back on before starting the bike.................I do.:frownthre

I dunno... since you posted the question, is this the voice of experience?

(I do know how long you can run a Ford without an oil filter....)

Darhawk
23rd February 2005, 19:23
I dunno... since you posted the question, is this the voice of experience?

(I do know how long you can run a Ford without an oil filter....)

Oh yeh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oil will spray about ten feet out..........sadly, the truck was parked there.

gamhill
25th February 2005, 03:55
Oh yeh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oil will spray about ten feet out..........sadly, the truck was parked there.

Look at this way, at least you know you've got great oil pressure!!!

Broncodog
25th February 2005, 04:01
Hey it could have been the dog! :laugh ...........or worse the missus :wifemad

gamhill
25th February 2005, 04:04
let's do that. Let's share our maintenance bloopers!

I think we should start a new tread, why not include "riding" bloopers as well? I know the first time I rode my bike to work, I did one of those dumb ____ (s@@t) things that you really don't want to admit too! I didn't see 'em, but I KNOW all of my co-workers were standing by the windows watching me ....

Broncodog
25th February 2005, 04:06
I think we should start a new tread, why not include "riding" bloopers as well? I know the first time I rode my bike to work, I did one of those dumb ____ (s@@t) things that you really don't want to admit too! I didn't see 'em, but I KNOW all of my co-workers were standing by the windows watching me ....
Like getting off the bike and not putting the kickstand down :o :laugh

willprevale
25th February 2005, 04:06
I think we should start a new tread, why not include "riding" bloopers as well?
Your idea. Start the thread.

74FeHeadXLH
25th February 2005, 04:11
the first time was'nt funny at all...but after the third time, I LMFAO about it. I've learned so now I laugh at myself......on these iron's the oil cap is a screw down type....yea you guessed right my dumba$$ forgot to screw it tight...well needless to say, my right leg got soaked with almost up to temp oil, right side of bike sufficiently oiled, and smoke galore off the hot drag pipe.....most embarra$$ing, but funny as $hit, it don't squirt out so you don't notice you F'd up until it's too late....anyway I have only done it the 3 times....Mike 74xlh w/ tight oil cap

Darhawk
25th February 2005, 04:46
Your idea. Start the thread.

Remember what happened the last time you suggested somebody start a thread..........it became a lusty experience.:laugh

Broncodog
25th February 2005, 04:49
Remember what happened the last time you suggested somebody start a thread..........it became a lusty experience.:laugh
Kath ............... we need you! :laugh

willprevale
25th February 2005, 04:52
Post started.

Broncodog
25th February 2005, 04:53
Post started.
move on over boys :smoke