PDA

View Full Version : Front Brake Brakelight Help

KingSize
23rd February 2005, 21:29
The Sporty I bought has been "chopped" up pretty good. Well of course the guy who did the work to the bike didn't hook the brakelight back up to the front brake, only the rear brake. My question is, where do I even begin to get this thing hooked back up?? What switch do I need to get? And how do I put it on and wire it?

Keep in mind I have no turn signals or anything. So I don't have the turn signal switch housings on my bike.

KingSize
25th February 2005, 21:45
I hate to bump this, but I know somebody can help me. I know it's not hard. :bump

Buccaneer-Phill
25th February 2005, 21:57
I hate to bump this, but I know somebody can help me. I know it's not hard. :bump

Hi KS,

There should be a micro-switch in the brake lever housing... If this is mssing, I would imagine it might be possible to get a replacement, are the levers genuine Harley, or chopped from something else?

:chop

Moved On
25th February 2005, 23:22
The brake light switch on stock bikes is in the control housing. If you don't have stock control housings you're not going to get the brake light from there. I'd thing that you might be able to put a pressure sensor (like the one on the rear) in the hydraulic line for the front brake.

Gazza

thunderpaw
26th February 2005, 00:09
I'd think that you might be able to put a pressure sensor (like the one on the rear) in the hydraulic line for the front brake.

That would be my suggestion, as well.

Kim

maddog
26th February 2005, 00:15
The Sporty I bought has been "chopped" up pretty good. Well of course the guy who did the work to the bike didn't hook the brakelight back up to the front brake, only the rear brake. My question is, where do I even begin to get this thing hooked back up?? What switch do I need to get? And how do I put it on and wire it?

Keep in mind I have no turn signals or anything. So I don't have the turn signal switch housings on my bike.

Start with a service manual for that year bike..Then you can correctly determine whats missing from the chop job and whats left for you to work with.
Anything that I or the other guys speculate on will be purely guesswork.

KingSize
26th February 2005, 17:04
I have stock controls (for now :D ). I'm going to run up to Harley today and see if I can't get the switch for it. Thanks for the help guys. If I run into trouble you'll be hearing from me soon!!!! :frownthre

KingSize
26th February 2005, 21:08
SHIT! BIG TROUBLE!

Here's what I've got. I have a 2000 Sporty that's pretty chopped up. I have the original hand controls, although I don't have any of the switch housings. It is just bare bones. The front brake only consist of the lever and master cylinder.

Went up to Harley today and of course on the 2000's (actually newer Sporties in general) the brake light switch is in the switch housing instead of the lever. So me and the parts guy were trying to think of easy, cost effective ways to do it without it looking like garbage. Well if I did it hydraulically it would pretty much end up looking like shit. Because after you put the brake switch on the line it will stick out like a sore thumb.

So now what? I really want chrome hand controls, and have debated buying a whole new set. But that's not cheap as you know. So I'm not sure what to do. I'm open ears to any suggestions. But I'm not sure buying chrome hand controls will even solve my problem.

I really don't care about it, as my rear brake is hooked up to the brake lights, as most custom choppers are. I just need to pass inspection, and I still might be able to find somebody who will pass it. But if I can't it's gotta be solved. I just don't see how all these damn customs out here get licensed, because I know their not legal. And I don't see how every single person who has one just happens to know somebody who will pass inspection for them.

This really sucks guys. Give me any ideas. If you think there is a good set of chrome hand controls I can buy that will have what I need to wire it, then let me know. Or any other ideas. I really don't have the money for all new controls right now though. That was a plan for the future. Thanks!!!!!!

thunderpaw
27th February 2005, 18:13
You might consider looking for a set of control switches on eBay or at swap meets. Were you going back to stock-like controls anyway? If not, it may be possible to fabricate a system to route the front brake hydraulic line so that the hydraulic switch is either behind (or maybe inside) the headlight housing. Just a thought.

Kim

KingSize
27th February 2005, 22:13
You might consider looking for a set of control switches on eBay or at swap meets. Were you going back to stock-like controls anyway? If not, it may be possible to fabricate a system to route the front brake hydraulic line so that the hydraulic switch is either behind (or maybe inside) the headlight housing. Just a thought.

Kim

Actually I'm just trying to get it to pass inspection. I'm hoping to find somebody who will just pass it as it is.

I may buy new chrome controls that already have the switches in them. I'm not sure yet. Didn't want to shell out that kind of money right now.