PDA

View Full Version : Sundowner vs. American Soft Seats

Gone
14th July 2006, 02:46
When I bought the Sporty, I somehow had the delusion that H-D would have a decent seat on it!:roflblack I'm just BARELY flatfooting it, so I was afraid to get a Sundowner. I got a Badlander because of the low profile. I have 425 miles now on the Badlander and I can tell it is not going to cut it. I had a gel/memory foam seat on my last bike (Suzuki)...and 500 mile days were no problem. I could easily do 125 miles at a clip. I can do 75 on the Badlander and then it is break time. For those that have a Sundowner...did it raise you up all that much? Are 500 mile days comfortable? Option 2 is to try having the Badlander re-done. American Soft Seats will do the rider seat with gel and memory foam for about $129. Though I know I can sell what I don't want on ebay, I also don't want to keep wasting money on seats when I could be buying new pipes. I have taxes I want to get paid here soon!:D Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated!

indyrednek
14th July 2006, 02:51
How tall are you?

Gone
14th July 2006, 02:55
How tall are you?

5'2"...but I ain't tellin' ya my age;)

indyrednek
14th July 2006, 03:02
If you give me your seat height with the stock seat I can give you the difference between stock and sundowner.

jwb47
14th July 2006, 03:05
I have the sundowner seat and it is nice but not the greatest I would suggest you get the gel seat installed in the seat you already have.

Gone
14th July 2006, 03:13
Seat height with stock seat on the 1200 low is listed as 28.0 inches unladen in the specs. The actual stock saddle is only about 2 inches thick throughout.

Thanks!

Gone
14th July 2006, 03:19
I have the sundowner seat and it is nice but not the greatest I would suggest you get the gel seat installed in the seat you already have.

Thanks...that is the kinda feedback I need too. I need a long-haul seat...but I'm really not that impressed with Mustang for the money. My $180 Suzuki gel could have knocked the socks off of a Mustang.

oakies
14th July 2006, 03:43
The Sundowner worked for me..I can ride as long and far as I want now without getting a sore a$$..I got sick of trying to make the bike "look good"..and suffering every time I rode it. It did raise me up a couple inches. Not sure about the gel seats but I have heard others here say that its not as great as the thought it would be...

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/MVC-001S2.JPG

GnFishn
28th July 2006, 18:32
I had a gel/memory foam seat on my last bike (Suzuki)...and 500 mile days were no problem. I could easily do 125 miles at a clip.$@#*!..... American Soft Seats will do the rider seat with gel and memory foam for about $129. Though I know I can sell what I don't want on ebay, I also don't want to keep wasting money on seats when I could be buying new pipes. I have taxes I want to get paid here soon!:D Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated! $@#*!I have a Saddlemen Saddlegel Pad that sells for about $80. $@#*!It's a good improvement over the stock seat and a welcome addition to almost any seat. $@#*!Instead of having a seat rebuilt, this might be a less costly way to go if you haven't already sent your seat off.

74cixl
28th July 2006, 19:24
I am a amazon like 5'4" and the sundowner is fine for me, I think it is a bit narrower than the stock vinyl covered plank, we have done 350 mile days 2 up with the sundowner no problem, my wife is 5'0" though. 74cixl

Sportster Girl
28th July 2006, 20:18
I'm 5'2" with a short inseam too, and I have the 883 Low. I recently replaced a Mustang Solo with this LePera:

It's a Silhouette 'Up FRont' that moves you forward and lower.
Very comfy to me, and I think it is available with the gel as well. I think CalSport has gel in hers....

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/SportsterGirl1/sS3.jpg

avnsteve
28th July 2006, 20:28
I am a amazon like 5'4" 74cixl

5'4" is tall for you? damn!
edit: ok, now i can read the facetiousness, missed the irony the first time...