PDA

View Full Version : Fork stem bolt

scooter
24th February 2005, 03:12
I bought HD part #48329-90 "Steering Stem Cover Kit". I got the kit so I could put a chrome cover on the stem bolt. The kit requires that the bolt be replaced due to the chrome cover screws into the bolt. I have a manual and know how to adjust and replace...question is does it matter if this adjustment is done with the bike on the ground or does it have to be on a lift with the front end off the ground? The manual give instructions as if you are removing the forks...I am just changing the stem bolt.
Any advise would be appreciated!

IronMick
24th February 2005, 05:36
My manual says to tighten the fork stem bolt securely, until the bearings have no free play, but make sure the fork stem turns freely. I think it turns freely if it "falls away" from center easliy when touched. It can be on the ground for this procedure.

scooter
24th February 2005, 14:50
Thanks for the response. The 04 manual says torque to 15ft lbs, loosen and torque to 84in lbs. Then tighten pinch screw.

pquirk
24th February 2005, 14:55
It can be on the ground for this procedure.Hey Mick, did you mean to say "can't be on the ground"? I don't see how free play can be assessed to adjust the bearings if the front wheel is on the ground.

barry1967
24th February 2005, 16:37
I would think that if you do not loosen the pinch bolt there would be no reason to have to go through all that. Just remove the old bolt and tighten the new to 84inch pounds. Do it on the ground too. Just my .02

pquirk
24th February 2005, 17:56
I would think that if you do not loosen the pinch bolt there would be no reason to have to go through all that. Just remove the old bolt and tighten the new to 84inch pounds. Do it on the ground too. Just my .02Seems resonable to me. I did not RTFM, too lazy, but if leaving the "pinch bolt" tight retains the bearing adjustment then its fine and dandy to do it that way I'd figger.

scooter
24th February 2005, 18:55
Thanks...that's what I was thinking too. I will give it a shot

2006 1200c
3rd May 2007, 22:22
Just bought the same chrome cover kit and had the same question about replacing the stem bolt. As mentioned above if you don't touch the pinch bolts you shouldn't have to do the bearing adjustment just swap out the stem bolt and that you shouldn't have to raise the bike any.
Just wondering if any of you have done this and how it worked out for you. I really don't want to pay anyone to do it for me especially if all I need to do is swap the bolt
Thanks for any advice
Tina :)

Delzore
3rd May 2007, 23:13
I picked up a MOTORCYCLE CLOCK HARLEY SPORTSTER DYNA SOFTAIL HERITAGE item from ebay. Motorcycle Clock (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTORCYCLE-CLOCK-HARLEY-SPORTSTER-DYNA-SOFTAIL-HERITAGE_W0QQitemZ220105967510QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3 5557QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem).

Will have to get a pick of it mounted up on my bike...

But it covers that bolt quite nicely

83XLX
5th May 2007, 06:16
It's possible to overtighten the bearing play even with the pinch bolt tight, so be careful. If you get it a little too tight, you'll know it when you ride it - the bike will steer like crap. The fix is easy, though - just back it off a little.

Gone
5th May 2007, 13:55
I didn't waste my time changing the stem bolt . I just set the cover on the stock bolt with a dab of Permatex Ultra Black Silicone .

johnnybgood
5th May 2007, 14:27
I didn't waste my time changing the stem bolt . I just set the cover on the stock bolt with a dab of Permatex Ultra Black Silicone .

I did the same thing......kinda........used a chrome swingarm pivot bolt cover.

John

83XLX
6th May 2007, 02:07
Anyone other than me have a problem with chrome bolt and nut covers? Why not just buy chrome nuts and bolts? Even better, buy stainless when you can find them. Those covers probably double the weight of every fastener, and you have to remove them when you need access to the nut/bolt. Just a thought.

Folkie
7th May 2007, 19:12
Anyone other than me have a problem with chrome bolt and nut covers? Why not just buy chrome nuts and bolts? Even better, buy stainless when you can find them. Those covers probably double the weight of every fastener, and you have to remove them when you need access to the nut/bolt. Just a thought.
I agree; to me, they just seem fake. And unnecessary; as you say, just get chrome or stainless steel nuts and bolts. Although I've heard that stainless steel can get brittle, and shouldn't be used for safety critical fastenings.

You can't necessarily get chrome bolts in the size required, but in the case of that fork stem bolt, you can get this:

http://img.jpcycles.com/zoom/5e783fb5-08f6-4112-bceb-37c423748038.jpeg (http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=56436416-2fe0-4bdd-8042-3cb5203a7a79)

gymrat523
7th May 2007, 19:59
I picked up a MOTORCYCLE CLOCK HARLEY SPORTSTER DYNA SOFTAIL HERITAGE item from ebay. Motorcycle Clock (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTORCYCLE-CLOCK-HARLEY-SPORTSTER-DYNA-SOFTAIL-HERITAGE_W0QQitemZ220105967510QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3 5557QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem).

Will have to get a pick of it mounted up on my bike...

But it covers that bolt quite nicely
I got the same one two years ago, still runs great and looks great, real handy to have a clock there, installs in 5 minutes.