PDA

View Full Version : Big sporty now in the stall

ruger44
16th July 2006, 04:43
Found a 93 FXRS-SP (low-rider sport) that I am adding to my family.
It kind of reminds me of a sportster on steroids
The wife has decided that she wants to learn to ride and this gave me an opportunity to buy another bike. While I will always love the sporty I just am not able to ride it for a very long distance. I am 6'2 and my butt goes numb. I am on my third seat but the seat is not far enough back for my riding comfort. I have changed the rear shocks to Dyna's and front springs to progressive and now it rides 2 up better than with me on it by myself. Wife is now happy ridding on the back but only for a short run. So we decided to get 2 bikes and let her feel the rush of driving rather than being a passenger.
When I took the FXR out for a test run it was like sitting in my recliner. I was able to stretch out and felt like I could ride all day with out stopping.
I will still ride my (wife’s) sporty on short hauls and when I want to feel the performance of a fast handling scooter. I have added a lot of performance upgrades to the engine and it is a blast to ride and runs like a rapped ape.
The FXR does not even compare to my sporty in performance nor does feel as nimble or responsive but it will be a lot easier to ride for a couple hours at a time. Guess I am getting old and don't have the stamina I had when I was younger.
Now I will have to spend another couple grand on the FXR so that it can stay with the sporty.
I probably should add that my wife has had recent back surgery and riding by her self will probably be more comfortable for her.
I sure wish that Harley would lower the frame under the seat a couple of inches like the big twin frames. It seems that I need to sit right where the passenger seat begins.
I am going to put a nice solo seat on the sporty for the wife and setup the FXR for 2 up ridding for when we want to ride 2 up.
I still get pissed at the Harley guys that snub us sporty riders just no reason for it these are great bikes.
Sporty:
1200 custom .020 over JE forged 10.5:1 pistons, screaming eagle cam, pipes, a/c,ignition and head work.
Still the best looking bike Harley made.

rjg883c
16th July 2006, 06:53
Found a 93 FXRS-SP (low-rider sport) that I am adding to my family.
It kind of reminds me of a sportster on steroids
The wife has decided that she wants to learn to ride and this gave me an opportunity to buy another bike. While I will always love the sporty I just am not able to ride it for a very long distance. I am 6'2 and my butt goes numb. I am on my third seat but the seat is not far enough back for my riding comfort. I have changed the rear shocks to Dyna's and front springs to progressive and now it rides 2 up better than with me on it by myself. Wife is now happy ridding on the back but only for a short run. So we decided to get 2 bikes and let her feel the rush of driving rather than being a passenger.
When I took the FXR out for a test run it was like sitting in my recliner. I was able to stretch out and felt like I could ride all day with out stopping.
I will still ride my (wife’s) sporty on short hauls and when I want to feel the performance of a fast handling scooter. I have added a lot of performance upgrades to the engine and it is a blast to ride and runs like a rapped ape.
The FXR does not even compare to my sporty in performance nor does feel as nimble or responsive but it will be a lot easier to ride for a couple hours at a time. Guess I am getting old and don't have the stamina I had when I was younger.
Now I will have to spend another couple grand on the FXR so that it can stay with the sporty.
I probably should add that my wife has had recent back surgery and riding by her self will probably be more comfortable for her.
I sure wish that Harley would lower the frame under the seat a couple of inches like the big twin frames. It seems that I need to sit right where the passenger seat begins.
I am going to put a nice solo seat on the sporty for the wife and setup the FXR for 2 up ridding for when we want to ride 2 up.
I still get pissed at the Harley guys that snub us sporty riders just no reason for it these are great bikes.
Sporty:
1200 custom .020 over JE forged 10.5:1 pistons, screaming eagle cam, pipes, a/c,ignition and head work.
Still the best looking bike Harley made.

I find comments such as the ones in bold quite funny. After all real men ride big twins or v-rods, right? There is even a thread devoted to the fact that a Sportster is a girls bike, accept it. Now have I incensed everyone? Good.

I ride an 05 883c so that makes me even lower then big Sportys and some big Sporty riders have explained this to me. But I also ride/have ridden Jap bikes for 38 years and have had to put up with the arrogant attitude of Harley riders. I have never understood a debate over the merits of different bikes.

If you prefer a Harley to my Honda Magna, so be it. You don't know what you are missing. As does the guy that thinks his Road King or 1200 Sportster is better then my 883C Sporty. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

My advice is to enjoy your Sportster, Road King, Yamasuki, or whatever you have without regard to what anyone else has or thinks.

Ron

Y2K
16th July 2006, 14:51
Hey there R44 you're going to love the FXR,best framed and handling BT ever made IMO.
I had one for 10 years and over 100,000 miles,great bike!
Come on over to V-2 for a visit when ya get a chance.
http://v2-forum.com/
Oh, and how about some pics! :smoke

ruger44
17th July 2006, 02:18
Thanks Y2K I signed up there allready and have been snooping around.
I still find this forum has some really good info aand will still hand around.
I just took the wife today for her Top Gun Riding Course. First time she ever rode a Bike, she did good should start riding the 1200c soon. I went throught the course with her and the instuctor really like the sporty was a breeze riding it through the cones and stuff. I have been riding for 30+ years but I don't think you are ever too old to learn.
Any way Thanks for the invite and will post some pics of both bikes soon.
Be Safe ALL

Homarr
17th July 2006, 02:37
Congrats! Hope you enjoiy. I'd love to get my hands on an FXR!

avnsteve
17th July 2006, 03:03
HD makes a "BIG" sporty?