PDA

View Full Version : Best Aftermarket Exhaust???

xl1200r
24th February 2005, 04:38
I have a buddy who has a 2004 XB12S. He wants a louder exhaust, but doesn't want to give up the low-end power that the stock muffler gives. Anybody know of a good aftermarket setup that gives good power and sound???

Ingemar
29th March 2005, 18:17
Geesh, missed this one.

Still valid?

IronMick
29th March 2005, 23:55
Cycle Shack.

Gone
30th March 2005, 01:51
Force Pipes. You can get them through Nallin

barry1967
30th March 2005, 01:57
Cycle Shack.

It's a Buell Mick. No cycle shacks for him :frownone

Ingemar
30th March 2005, 06:25
Force Pipes. You can get them through Nallin
He wants to keep low end power. The Force pipe is the worst thing you can get for that application.

kornflake
28th May 2008, 08:52
Dose any one know:

What is the best overall off the shelf exhaust that money can buy for a sportster.
Thunderheader 2>1?
Bassani 2>1?
some other brand?
or modifying an off the shelf exhaust?
Please, any ideas.

What makes a good exhaust a good exhaust,
I really want to know.

jharback
28th May 2008, 10:16
Dose any one know:

What is the best overall off the shelf exhaust that money can buy for a sportster.
Thunderheader 2>1?
Bassani 2>1?
some other brand?
or modifying an off the shelf exhaust?
Please, any ideas.

What makes a good exhaust a good exhaust,
I really want to know.

Thunderheader is normally considered abouty the best.

misterT
28th May 2008, 10:43
I love my supertrapp supermeg 2-1 and if you search for it NRHS did a dyno shoot out and the supertrapp won hands down. I think the thunderheader is more popular because it is louder,though they seem to work well too. The thunder header does have more of a problem with reversion creating an off idle drop in power. It seems that the only complaint about the supertrapp is it"s not loud enough. I think it is just right and its tuneable by adding disks for more top end or fewer for bottom end.

xl1200r
28th May 2008, 13:30
The Supertrapp is a MUCH better exhaust than the Thunderheader. NHRS may have done a shootout (I haven't seen it), but I also did one on my bike, comparing SE II's, Thunderheader and Supertrapp on my 2004 1200R. The TH made 2 or 3 more peak hp, but was starting to level off. The ST made GOBS more midrange, and was still climbing at redline. Hell, even the SE II's made better power than TH with the exception of the top of the graph.

BTW - since this is in the Buell section (lol), my buddy ended up getting a D&D and has since sold the bike. I decided on a Special OPS muffler when I got my Buell and love it.

md80drvr
28th May 2008, 20:13
Go to kdfab.com. The "drummer" is the best exhaust for your friends Buell. Kevin knows what he's doing and builds a first rate muffler. Great sound, great performance and great looks. All for a reasonable price. Give him a call and tell him Frank from Tennessee referred you. Ride safe.

kornflake
29th May 2008, 05:25
what makes the Thunderheader work so well at top end?

i had sqcreamen eagle II before and i felt a big difference with the Thunderheader.
it dose have a small power dip in mid range then BAMM" when it kicks in you feelit.

Shu
29th May 2008, 05:51
what makes the Thunderheader work so well at top end?

i had sqcreamen eagle II before and i felt a big difference with the Thunderheader.
it dose have a small power dip in mid range then BAMM" when it kicks in you feelit.

The TH is a large volume muffler. It is fairly open free flowing and uses a built in cyclone type baffle. At lower rpms, the pipe doesn't do a great job at scavenging (pulling the exhaust out of the valves to aid in cylinder fill). Once it gets up on the rev's it seems to shine though. You can modify the baffle slightly to regain the infamous 2-1 pipe torque dip around 2500 rpms.

If you have mid controls the SuperTrapp 2-1 is a great performer. The D&D 2-1 has shown to work well on the rubbermounts too.

Sorry about the hijack of a Buell thread, figured it was best to give an answer and then try to get it back on Buells.

I did read a good write up on the Drummer and D&D and Special Ops pipes.

ReddTigger
29th May 2008, 06:53
I really want to see a company like NRHS do a dyno shootout with the different pipes, Use a test machine and the only variable is the pipes. I've heard about people saying they've seen it, but I haven't had much luck searching for it (i've tried)

xl1200r
29th May 2008, 13:47
I really want to see a company like NRHS do a dyno shootout with the different pipes, Use a test machine and the only variable is the pipes. I've heard about people saying they've seen it, but I haven't had much luck searching for it (i've tried)

Go to www.americansportbike.com and click on the 'exhaust chootout' link on the home page. I think you'll be please with the job they did - very scientific and exacting. It's a zip folder containing a .pdf file full of descriptions, explinations, graphs, tables, etc. You also get a number of audio samples to listen to.

This is what I used to help me decide on the Spec OPS pipe.