PDA

View Full Version : Torx vs Torx Plus

XL883
16th July 2006, 19:32
I did a search on the forum for info regarding Torx Sockets because I want to buy a set and read that on Mar/06 "khollister" posted a reply stating that the newer Sportsters were using Torx Plus instead of just Torx for these types of fasteners.

Would anyone be able to confirm for me if my 2003 is considered one of the newer models and would require the Torx Plus or will a good quality set of the regular Torx be allright? Tks.

Tom

kmm0000
17th July 2006, 02:34
Make sure you get a T27 for the derby cover, a T25 looks and feels like it will work but if the bolts are on tight, they will strip.

xena
17th July 2006, 02:38
I never heard of this torx plus business.
A regular set has worked for me for the
past 2 years on my 04.

dagsportster
17th July 2006, 02:42
I picked up a set of Torx sockets from Home Depot and they work fine. There are a few huges ones, maybe T40 or 45, on the bike. My bike is an 06.

cantolina
17th July 2006, 02:44
I did a search on the forum for info regarding Torx Sockets because I want to buy a set and read that on Mar/06 "khollister" posted a reply stating that the newer Sportsters were using Torx Plus instead of just Torx for these types of fasteners.

Would anyone be able to confirm for me if my 2003 is considered one of the newer models and would require the Torx Plus or will a good quality set of the regular Torx be allright? Tks.

Tom

Xena's right....a QUALITY Torx set is all you need....

XL883
17th July 2006, 11:36
Thanks to all who responded and it looks like a good regular Torx set it is for me.

Tom

Moved On / My Own Choice
17th July 2006, 15:25
What's torx plus anyway? Those double-tamper resistant torx bolts with a pin in the center of the cutouts in the head so that you need a torx bit with a hole drilled in the center???

JohnK/Pa
17th July 2006, 15:32
What's torx plus anyway?
This is a new torx bit that's supposed to grip better without stripping.

Moved On / My Own Choice
17th July 2006, 15:42
This is a new torx bit that's supposed to grip better without stripping.

hmmm, what's different?

Stripping has never really been a problem for me with Torx, as long as I used the right size bit.

klinesamuel
17th July 2006, 18:34
hmmm, what's different?

Stripping has never really been a problem for me with Torx, as long as I used the right size bit.

This website explains the differences between the two.

http://www.textronfasteningsystems.com/products/torxplus/drive_compare.htm

Sam

Moved On / My Own Choice
17th July 2006, 18:58
Great link, thanks man!

Hmmm, ok, mental note, 3rd type of Torx out there... gotcha

Kev

jms969
17th July 2006, 19:10
Torx
TORX, developed by Textron Fastening Systems (formerly Camcar Textron), is the trademark for a type of screw head characterized by a 6-point star-shaped pattern (in the same way that slotted heads, Phillips, Allen, and Robertson have flat, -shaped, hexagonal, and square tips, respectively). People unfamiliar with the trademark generally use the term star, as in "star screwdriver" or "star bits." The generic name is hexalobular internal driving feature and is standardised by the International Organization for Standardization as ISO 10664.

TORX screws are commonly found on automobiles, computer systems and consumer electronics, but are also becoming increasingly popular in construction. Do-it-yourself mechanics will often remove the TORX screws on a vehicle and replace them with more common screws and bolts such as hex head bolts, because it is easier to carry an adjustable wrench (or a set of hex sockets) to fit many different sizes of hex heads, rather than carrying several different sizes of TORX screwdrivers or bits. Also in offroad vehicles like Jeep, the bolt heads are subjected to rust, rendering them rather difficult to remove. When rusted bolts (or most of them for that matter) are removed manually, Torx bolts are more likely to round off compared to hex head bolts, and are thus disliked by many do-it-yourself mechanics.

Torx Plus
A TORX variant, TORX PLUS, is designed to allow greater torque, and to minimize wear. Currently, TORX PLUS heads and drivers are patented, slowing adoption in the marketplace. Standard TORX drivers can be used to drive TORX PLUS screws, but TORX PLUS drivers will not fit standard TORX screws. There is also a tamper resistant version of TORX PLUS, having five lobes and solid post in the center.

Peace,

JMS

:banana

klown
17th July 2006, 19:16
Make sure you get a T27 for the derby cover, a T25 looks and feels like it will work but if the bolts are on tight, they will strip.

TRUE DAT!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A T27 is not a usually included in small torx sets. Usually you have to get it seperately. But on my bike an '03. Torx does the job. :smoke

Moved On / My Own Choice
17th July 2006, 19:19
Torx
Standard TORX drivers can be used to drive TORX PLUS screws, but TORX PLUS drivers will not fit standard TORX screws.

That's the key!!!

chrishajer
17th July 2006, 19:26
I think so. I only have two Torx plus sockets: one for spoke nipples, one for some FLH fasteners. I guess the regular Torx sockets work but they're not optimal. Maybe that's why people strip the fasteners sometimes?

It's also easy to strip when you use a T25 in a screw that should use a T27, because the T27 doesn't come in the set.

--Chris

jms969
17th July 2006, 22:00
I am slowly replacing all torx fastners with hex... or just a standard bolt (grade 8 of course)

thunderpaw
18th July 2006, 01:54
I am slowly replacing all torx fastners with hex... or just a standard bolt (grade 8 of course)
That's my intent, but no hurry. After the earlier post on Torx Plus fasteners, I verified that all of my Torx fasteners were the standard variety. They must be easier for robotics or production line assembly, because-for the life of me, I cannot see any advantage, but rather some significant disadvantages in using them.

Kim