PDA

View Full Version : Is this Normal?

Mammath
9th October 2008, 07:53
Being new to Harleys I would like to know if these things are normal.

Since I've had my conversion done, when I get back from a short ride I notice I have a bit of smoke wafting up from from the filter and breather bolts on my air intake. I have the SE heavy breather fitted. Is something wrong?

Also, when I check the oil and the bike is warm there are a lot of bubbles in the oil tank. Is this normal? Oil level is remaining normal.

All help welcome.

2008nightster
9th October 2008, 07:59
I've heard it asked before about the bubbles...I see it too. As long as it's bubbles and not foam, there is no problem. I'm sure someone else will chime in about the smoke...possible normal engine venting?

Phillthy
9th October 2008, 08:02
Yeh, just sounds like venting to me as well. Bubbles OK and foam not too.

Mammath
9th October 2008, 08:18
I only notice the smoke after I ride to, or from work. 7kms ride. Never noticed it after a couple of hours of riding. It's pretty unusual to walk away from a bike that's smolders away like a BBQ.

Concerning the oil, Why are there bubbles, and why is foam bad?

FoxsterUK
9th October 2008, 08:44
I suppose its possible there's a problem with the umbrella valves since they refitted the rocker boxes. You mentioned that this smoke is around the breather bolts - they done up tight enough? Shouldn't really get leaks there.

Fox

Hopper
9th October 2008, 08:47
Take it back to the shop that did the conversion and have them check it.

Mammath
9th October 2008, 09:35
Take it back to the shop that did the conversion and have them check it.

I'd rather check the job myself if possible, the dealers service department is f'n useless.

I suppose its possible there's a problem with the umbrella valves since they refitted the rocker boxes. You mentioned that this smoke is around the breather bolts - they done up tight enough? Shouldn't really get leaks there.

Fox

I have also noticed some oil deposits around breather bolts and elbow.
Here's a pic to help.
The chrome caps that cover the breather bolts have movement in them. I assume this allows them to vent, (smoke)?
How do I get to the breather bolts to tighten them?

Mammath
9th October 2008, 21:44
Here's an update for all those interested.
Bike went back to the dealer this week so they could see what I was talking about.
Apparently the 'vapour', or smoke, that I'm seeing is quite normal for a Harley with a modified Air Intake. Also the oil that leaks from the breather bolts is also quite normal.
I'm not too happy with that but what more can you expect from such a prehistoric engine design.