PDA

View Full Version : New rear fender

XLFREAK
25th February 2005, 18:33
Has anyone put a bobtail fender on their sporty themselves? I have an '05 1200C and want to put mine on tonight by myself and was wondering what to expect. Any ideas, suggestions, warnings, etc... will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. :o :o :o

P.S. They told me two weeks ago when I ordered the fender that it would be 6-10 weeks till it got here and it came in yesterday. I'm thrilled!!! :clap :clap :D :D :smoke :smoke :drinkbeer

bud095
25th February 2005, 19:21
do you have pics. very intrested!

XLFREAK
25th February 2005, 20:53
I'll post pics as soon as I am done, I'm just trying to find out what I can expect when I go to do this myself.
I'm hoping it will look good with my wide glide bars, Mustang solo studded seat, etc..

KLars
25th February 2005, 22:18
I'll post pics as soon as I am done, I'm just trying to find out what I can expect when I go to do this myself.
I'm hoping it will look good with my wide glide bars, Mustang solo studded seat, etc..

I put my own bobtail on about a month ago on my 04 XL1200C. It was pretty easy all in all but here is a few things to think about.

-You obviously need the install kit. If you dont' have it, get it.

-The most confusing step is you have to remove the connector off of the tail light harness to uninstall it from the old fender and install in on the new fender. To remove the connector, you have to reference the repair manual to see where the tang is for the pin inside the connnector. I had quite a bit of trouble removing the first one but once I got the first one out the rest sent OK. Feeling the release mechanism is kind of difficult. They call out a special Snap-On tool for this in the manual but I was able to use a dental pick tool instead.

-If you have the removal sissy bar you are going to need longer bolts than you currently have for the rear. The thickness of the backplate and license plate holder for the bobtail is more than stock by about 1/8 to 1/4 ". The longer bolts that come with the removable sissy now were not long enough so I had to order some replacements.

-It is good to have a jack to take the weight off the back wheel. It gives you a lot more room to work under the fender.

The rest was a breeze!

Good Luck.

Kevin

shooter
25th February 2005, 22:48
its an easy job. Took me less than one hour start to finish. No special tools needed. It is easier with the rear wheel off though.

shooter

XLFREAK
25th February 2005, 22:58
Thanks a lot for the input. Pretty depressing though seeing as how I have the removeable backrest and need to get longer bolts before march 11. (Bike week trip)
I also don't have a repair manual yet so I'll just have to see if I can wing it.
Anyhoo, thanks a lot again for the advice. I really appreciate it.
Now time to go home and get to some fun work. :D :D :D :o :o :o

KLars
26th February 2005, 06:46
Thanks a lot for the input. Pretty depressing though seeing as how I have the removeable backrest and need to get longer bolts before march 11.

Well, see how yours fits before buying bolts. I didn't feel comfortable having my wife counting on a sissy bar where the bolts missed complete engagement by about 2 threads.

Kevin