PDA

View Full Version : how hard is rubber mounting an older xl

sharkpenor
24th July 2006, 16:57
Hi everyone,

I registered for this forum because I'm thinking about buying a sportster to have as a second bike for commuting, and I was considering buying a 2004 or 2005 for the rubber mount, for obvious reasons. However, there are so many low mile 15 year old sportsters out there that it seems ridiculous to pay 2 grand more for a newer one.

Here's my question: how difficult would it be to buy a 1990-ish sportster and remount the engine w/ rubber bushings? I assume I can get a kit somewhere for a hundred bucks, but how difficult is it? Am I correct in assuming its just a matter of putting a few rubber spacers and longer bolts in where the motor is attached to the frame?

thanks in advance,

Brian

indyrednek
24th July 2006, 17:04
No rubber mount kit.
At least that I have ever seen.
Engine cases are different as well as other things.
Buy a new one.
HD has great deals on new sportys.

sharkpenor
24th July 2006, 17:25
well, I've never bought a new motorcycle, and I'm not going to start now. I'd much rather buy a bike that someone else already rejetted, changed the exhaust, etc. than pay a premium for a new bike that I'm going to have to put another grand into just to get it running correctly.

I guess I'm going to have to look for an 04, or make it an experimental rubber mount project.

chrishajer
24th July 2006, 18:08
Hi everyone,

I registered for this forum because I'm thinking about buying a sportster to have as a second bike for commuting, and I was considering buying a 2004 or 2005 for the rubber mount, for obvious reasons. However, there are so many low mile 15 year old sportsters out there that it seems ridiculous to pay 2 grand more for a newer one.

It's not rediculous at all to pay $2K more for a 15 year newer bike. That's a good investment. It would be rediculous to buy a 15 year old bike instead of a rubber mount to save $2K and not have what you really want.

Here's my question: how difficult would it be to buy a 1990-ish sportster and remount the engine w/ rubber bushings? I assume I can get a kit somewhere for a hundred bucks, but how difficult is it? Am I correct in assuming its just a matter of putting a few rubber spacers and longer bolts in where the motor is attached to the frame?

No, that is an incorrect assumption. There are no kits available and it's not as simple as changing a few pieces of hardware. Of course anything can be done, and Rowe Machine makes a rubbermount chassis for the earlier XLs, but it's going to be more than $2K to get that done.

Buy the bike you want with the rubbermount. You'll be happier and money ahead when you're done.

--Chris

mardyk
24th July 2006, 18:13
Or you could testride an older pre 04 rigid mount. Maybe the vibes aren't that bad.
A lot of people actually prefer them to the newer ones. I've never ridden a rigid mount but my 04 vibrates a lot too. I love it.

sharkpenor
24th July 2006, 20:39
It's not rediculous at all to pay $2K more for a 15 year newer bike. That's a good investment. It would be rediculous to buy a 15 year old bike instead of a rubber mount to save $2K and not have what you really want.

when you put it that way it makes a lot of sense to buy a newer model. I have ridden a 90's sportster 883 before, and the vibration didn't bother me much-- My concern about vibration has less to do with comfort and more to do with having to tighten things up every hundred miles so they won't fall off
:banana

ken01976
24th July 2006, 20:45
Only thing you could do is buy a special frame or be real handy with a welder and have access to a machine shop. Theres an extra 40 or so pounds of frame on the newer xl's.

Albie1200
24th July 2006, 20:48
when you put it that way it makes a lot of sense to buy a newer model. I have ridden a 90's sportster 883 before, and the vibration didn't bother me much-- My concern about vibration has less to do with comfort and more to do with having to tighten things up every hundred miles so they won't fall off
:banana
I have a '98 and tightening things isn't the grand task you might think. If you do your own maintenance, then just snug things up at that point. If you ever remove a screw, just use loc tite and it will be fine.

I used to go through and tighten all the bolts and such every month or so when I first got the bike. I have since slipped in the frequency, and now just do it with oil changes. Gives you something to do while the oil is draining. I have not lost a part yet to vibes (of course accoring to murphy on the ride home tonight my motor will probably fall out).

If you really need a rubber mount, maybe wait until the '07's are on the dealer floor. That could either lower the price of the 04-06, or could raise them if people are afraid of EFI(although I highly doubt that).

Matt
24th July 2006, 21:03
I agree with most of the replies. Retro- rubbering would cost much more and you still have older everything else. Try buying an older one and ride it a while, You'll be able to sell it for about the same amount or more if you make it cooler etc. The vibes are over-dreaded IMHO.

chrishajer
24th July 2006, 21:50
My '88 is not too bad. I can't understand why people like having the motor all jumping around inside their frame anyway!

--Chris

cgp-1200R
24th July 2006, 21:54
my brother in law was amazed when he saw the engine moving the way it does

sportysrock
24th July 2006, 23:22
my brother in law was amazed when he saw the engine moving the way it does

Turn the idle back up, your girl is never going to ride it.

HA HAHAHA HAHA HAHA

:tour

(sorry 'bout that, but I just had an evil urge to say it)

Shu
24th July 2006, 23:59
The rigid mount frame must have the engine as part of the structure. That is where is gets some of it's strength. BTW, not all ridgid mounted bikes vibrate....mine is smooth as silk except for a little buzz in the handle bars between 3000 and 3100 rpm.

eastcoastiron
20th August 2006, 22:05
most custom rake jobs get rid of the front top motor mount anyways---in my opinion,i think less vibration if its not mounted to the downtube----heres mine when i got it done----http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/eastcoastiron/ec7.jpg

eastcoastiron
20th August 2006, 22:07
subribing sorry

sharkpenor
22nd August 2006, 17:42
im not sure what I'm going to do... I thought about buying a custom rubbermount frame and a salvage-title wreck and making my own, but then I was lookin at frames and the hardtail frames look so much better, so now I'm thinkin what's the point of rubbermounting something htat's going to beat my ass to a pulp everytime i take it on a bumpy road?

So now I'm planning to buy a 90's sportster and ride it for a year to get an idea of what I want to change about it before I do any major rebuilds...

wagondog
22nd August 2006, 17:48
Sorry but I just don't see the need for rubber mount Sportys, I bought my 03 because it feels like a Harley under my butt. If I wanted something that I couldn't feel I would have gotten a riding mower. By the way, unless I have a non typical 2003, my bike does not shake or vibrate, it just lets you know the motor is running. As as for things coming loose, a torque wrench, loctite, and a manual takes care of that stuff.
Wagondog

sharkpenor
22nd August 2006, 18:40
Sorry but I just don't see the need for rubber mount Sportys, I bought my 03 because it feels like a Harley under my butt. If I wanted something that I couldn't feel I would have gotten a riding mower. By the way, unless I have a non typical 2003, my bike does not shake or vibrate, it just lets you know the motor is running. As as for things coming loose, a torque wrench, loctite, and a manual takes care of that stuff.
Wagondog

yeah i know it was a dumb idea. are you the dog or the wagon.

wagondog
22nd August 2006, 18:46
yeah i know it was a dumb idea. are you the dog or the wagon.
I'm neither the dog or the wagon, I'm the guy that buys the food and pays the vet bills, wouldn't trade my dogs for an entire dealership full of Harleys:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

And there are no dumb ideas.......