PDA

View Full Version : New gearcase install

ferreira
26th July 2006, 12:13
When installing new (chromed) gearcase on my 05 883 is there any special procedure or caution because its not the original gearcase?

Steve3888
26th July 2006, 12:37
Make sure you have proper clearence between the bushings and cams. Also note they will not be as quiet as they were. Watch when you remove the old cover that the cams stay in position. Just makes life easer, also will prevent you from dropping the cams. Wich will destroy them.

mardyk
26th July 2006, 19:48
I'm about to change the gearcase cover too. Mine got scratched when I dropped the bike. I'm replacing it with an original. How much oil will come out? Do I need to drain the oil first?

Steve3888
27th July 2006, 09:08
Yea drain the engine oil first. Even if it is still useable oil get it out of the way and then pour it back in. Some oil will come out when you pull the gearcase cover. Not alot though.

ferreira
27th July 2006, 14:52
Now you're makin me nervous...Why do you think that it will be noisyer than the original gearcase cover? After all the only thing thats going to be different is that the cam bearings will be new...here in N.H where there"s no helmet law we hear all minor engine noises.

Steve3888
28th July 2006, 08:01
because when Harley builds the bikes the cams and bushings are a matched set. You change either it will not be as quiet. Don't worry not going to damage anything. If you have loud pipes might not even notice.

Gone
30th July 2006, 05:32
No need to drain the oil

If you are worried about clearances then:

Pull your pushrods, lifters & lifter blocks
Install cams
Install cover & gasket with no gasket sealer[torque to 80%]
Measure cam to cover play with feeler gauge through lifter block hole..
Add shims to bring clearance to .005-.008
Re-Install cover & gasket with sealant & torque to spec..
Re-install lifter blocks & lifters & pushrods...

Or just live with the Sporty gearcase noise & learn to love it...