PDA

View Full Version : Retail store for riding gear OTHER than Harley Dealer?

ecworks
28th July 2006, 18:30
I'm looking for a helmet, gloves and riding jacket (leather) and I don't really want to buy on-line because I'd like to try a number of makes and sizes on.
I live in Southern Orange County, Ca. Does anyone know of a retail outfit that carries a good selection other than a Harley dealer?

thanks in advance

jwbradbury
28th July 2006, 18:42
I buy at this one all the time. Chaparral Motorsports is at the Mill Street offramp of the I-215 northbound freeway in San Bernardino. Here's the link:

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chaparral/assets/html/homepage.asp?URLCheck=1

Check the "Street" listings for helmets, gloves, jackets, saddlebags... freakin' TONS of stuff.

Since it's a bit of a ride, give them a call if you see something in the catalog, just to make sure they've got the item in stock. It's a MASSIVE store because it's their nationwide "home office."

J.W.

rshute4
28th July 2006, 19:28
Yeah i agree, try the local Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Honda dealers... they all sell cruiser style bikes so they all have gear from helmets and gloves i think "some" may even have leathers now... do you have a cycle gear store?
www.cyclegear.com

CT1200
28th July 2006, 19:29
newenough.com

cadiero
28th July 2006, 20:31
Try your local BMW dealer. Those guys usually have awesome gear cause they actually ride :yikes thier bikes.

avnsteve
28th July 2006, 20:32
Try your local BMW dealer. Those guys usually have awesome gear cause they actually ride :yikes thier bikes.

DAMN!!! he said that!:wonderlan

johnnybgood
28th July 2006, 20:53
Try Wilson Leather for a jacket (if you have any in your area). They have a fair selection of bike jackets at reasonable prices.

JohnT
28th July 2006, 21:27
As someone else said, try the Japanese cruiser dealers. The Suzuki dealer in my area has a large selection of nylon and leather (Tourmaster, Joe Rocket, Icon, etc.) in colors from wild to mild, all more reasonably priced than H-D.

JohnC88
28th July 2006, 21:39
Depends what you're looking for. Mission Motorsports around the corner from OCHD carries a variety of stuff. I think their customer service sucks but hey, if they have what you want.......

Irv Seaver BMW in Anaheim (or maybe it's Orange) has some good although expensive gear. I bought my (not so expensive) helmet here and the customer service is really good.

SteveK
29th July 2006, 00:21
I bought my SHOEI helmetf at Iron Pony. Bought a first gear mesh jacket and gloves there too.

Albie1200
29th July 2006, 00:30
I'm looking for a helmet, gloves and riding jacket (leather) and I don't really want to buy on-line because I'd like to try a number of makes and sizes on.
I live in Southern Orange County, Ca. Does anyone know of a retail outfit that carries a good selection other than a Harley dealer?

thanks in advance

Your in luck! OC Roadhouse, http://www.ocroadhouse.com/_vintagesite/ has great deals on everything from gloves to boots and everything in between. What is really nice about them is they have a wide selection of prices. For instance, they have leather jacket as inexpensive as $99, but also have high quality jackets for $300+.

BTW, two years ago I bought their $99 jacket and $99 chaps, and while not the greatest quality of leather they are still in great shape.

They used to have a huge wharehouse in Costa Mesa, but now they are in a new location in Lake Forest that I have not been to yet.

wagoneer12
29th July 2006, 01:43
I go to my local Honda dealer all the time...

rain suit
saddlebags
windshield bag (what did I say, windshield? I haven't used it in over 9 months, I swear)

bought the kids a junior helmet at the local Fleet Farm. It is DOT. It cost me like $32.00.

Bought leather chaps at Fleet Farm. $75. Made in Pakistan. Stiching needed touched up by the local little old lady sew shop.

I'm not paying 25% more for the HD logo. I do have some HD stuff, and it is very nice quality.

JohnC88
29th July 2006, 05:18
Your in luck! OC Roadhouse, http://www.ocroadhouse.com/_vintagesite/ has great deals on everything from gloves to boots and everything in between. What is really nice about them is they have a wide selection of prices. For instance, they have leather jacket as inexpensive as $99, but also have high quality jackets for $300+.

BTW, two years ago I bought their $99 jacket and $99 chaps, and while not the greatest quality of leather they are still in great shape.

They used to have a huge wharehouse in Costa Mesa, but now they are in a new location in Lake Forest that I have not been to yet.

I've been to thier new location on Lake Forest. It's pretty small but they cram a lot of stuff in there.

jwb47
29th July 2006, 05:35
why is it that people buy harley motorcycles but just get all irrate over buying h-d riding gear? I have an h-d jacket helmet, boots, and gloves which I paid a healthy price for but they are of the best quality non h-d gear consist of a half helmet bought at the yamaha shop v-pilot leather riding pants, a nitro armored mesh jacket and chaps from carolina leather , all are of good manufacture and I paid a good price for them. being fruggale with your money is a good thing but there is no doubt in my mind if I had not been wearing my armored jacket helmet gloves and riding boots I would of been in a lot worse condition than getting up and walking away with narry a bruise . the 225.00 helmet I ruined and the dry cleaning bill for getting the tar off my jacket are way less than my deductible on my insurance and a whole lot less painful than a trip to the emergency room. you dont have to buy h-d brand but buy quality what ever you get.

JohnC88
29th July 2006, 06:53
I have nothing against HD products. But I'm not convinced they're any better than non HD. Some are, some aren't.

I bought a Tourmaster mesh jacket with CE rated armor in the shoulders and elbows, foam padding on the spine and additional ballistic polyester in the impact areas. It also has two additional removable layers. Paid $129. Would have loved to have bought the HD one but less armor, no spine padding, less reinforced impact areas, and only one layer. $150. The logo and lesser quality wasn't worth the extra dollars to me. YMMV.

jwbradbury
29th July 2006, 17:37
why is it that people buy harley motorcycles but just get all irrate over buying h-d riding gear? I have an h-d jacket helmet, boots, and gloves which I paid a healthy price for but they are of the best quality non h-d gear consist of a half helmet bought at the yamaha shop v-pilot leather riding pants, a nitro armored mesh jacket and chaps from carolina leather , all are of good manufacture and I paid a good price for them. being fruggale with your money is a good thing but there is no doubt in my mind if I had not been wearing my armored jacket helmet gloves and riding boots I would of been in a lot worse condition than getting up and walking away with narry a bruise . the 225.00 helmet I ruined and the dry cleaning bill for getting the tar off my jacket are way less than my deductible on my insurance and a whole lot less painful than a trip to the emergency room. you dont have to buy h-d brand but buy quality what ever you get.

I think H-D has great items, so don't get me wrong, but in many cases, the cost is just plain stupid. In these Summer months, I'm wearing half-finger deer skin gloves that I got at Chaparral for $12... the same style deer skin gloves (with the H-D logo) are $30. I bought the basic River Road mid-weight chaps which cost $70 after seeing almost the identical H-D pair for $175... only real difference was the logo patch.

I was at one H-D dealership near Atlanta and a woman just casually asked me about jackets. I showed her how well the H-D jackets are made, the ventilation zips, the longer back, the good amount of pockets, the various adjustment, the angled sleeves with armored elbows, etc... a really nice jacket. But she sort of went white when we looked at the price - $550.

I don't think many riders (or buyers) balk at H-D product "quality" but I do know that any "logo" product is going to cost a lot of $$$... that's what they're in business to do... sell the logo.

J.W.