PDA

View Full Version : Are loudER pipes a bad idea?

jamesr242
21st October 2008, 17:22
I have wanted to do a stage one on my 04 1200R for some time now. i have already installed a SE high flow air cleaner which gave me a nice boost, but when it comes to the pipes, that's where my dilemma is.

I live in an apartment complex in a relatively nice area outside of Philadelphia. The problem is that I do all of my maintenance/mods in the parking lot (can't afford/trust anyone else) and this is technically a violation of the lease. No one has really complained yet because I am very neat and always put away all my tools every time I walk away from the bike. I do get some weird looks though. You should have seen the look on the lady that saw my drilling out the mixture cap on the carb!:laugh

I couldn't care less about how an exhaust sounds, but I just don't like to do things half way. Anyway, I found a good deal on some SE Street Performance mufflers locally and I'm wondering if you think its a bad idea. I really don't want to piss people off to the point where they complain and I can't do bike maintenance anymore.

indyrednek
21st October 2008, 17:25
No problem.
Do the maintainence in your living room.

bigjnsa
21st October 2008, 17:29
I wouldn't worry about it, put those pipes on!

Fenny
21st October 2008, 17:30
Chances are, those SE mufflers aren't going to be much louder. It depends on when they were made. (not sure if you said they were new or used).

The SE exhaust that the moco makes are now street legal. I don't remember when exactly, but this happened a few years ago or so. Before they switched, the SE IIs were noticably louder. But still not LOUD. (like drags).

If you're looking for performance gains, many 2 into 1's can be quiet when easing the throttle, so you can sneak out of town, but have a pretty good bark when ya hammer it.

Good luck!:)

Moved On / My Own Choice
21st October 2008, 17:31
Is it a bad idea - see the plethora of threads on the subject, there's arguments for and against that.

If you read them, you'll know my position.

Now, as for your ride - you'll have to make that decision. Obviously drawing more attention to yourself might be bad in that circumstance.

What part of the Philly burbs are you in btw? Some areas around here continue to look at noise enforcement.

Lastly, you seem to want to do something based on performance, not sound. So why don't you look into a good 2-1 OR just modify your stockers (ala Gronk) - that will give you most of the bang with the least amount of buck.

jamesr242
21st October 2008, 17:54
No problem.
Do the maintainence in your living room.

LOL, I don't think my girlfriend would approve, plus people would probably be pretty bewildered watching me pull the sporty into the elevator. I can forsee a special clause being added to later leases: "no Sportster maintenance in the apartment".:tour

Chances are, those SE mufflers aren't going to be much louder. It depends on when they were made. (not sure if you said they were new or used).

The SE exhaust that the moco makes are now street legal. I don't remember when exactly, but this happened a few years ago or so. Before they switched, the SE IIs were noticably louder. But still not LOUD. (like drags).

If you're looking for performance gains, many 2 into 1's can be quiet when easing the throttle, so you can sneak out of town, but have a pretty good bark when ya hammer it.

Yeah, "street legal" or not, I bet they are a LOT louder than stock. Case in point, this guy is selling them at a decent loss because they are too loud. I would consider a 2-1 but just can't bring myself to spend 500+ on an exhaust.

Is it a bad idea - see the plethora of threads on the subject, there's arguments for and against that.

If you read them, you'll know my position.

Now, as for your ride - you'll have to make that decision. Obviously drawing more attention to yourself might be bad in that circumstance.

What part of the Philly burbs are you in btw? Some areas around here continue to look at noise enforcement.

Lastly, you seem to want to do something based on performance, not sound. So why don't you look into a good 2-1 OR just modify your stockers (ala Gronk) - that will give you most of the bang with the least amount of buck.

I'm in Lower Merion township. I may end up just doing the gronk mod when winter rolls around. I actually stumbled upon a thread from a while ago when you did this mod. Can you maybe refer me to to where I might get the flares of the baffle or the welding done in the Philly area? I would really love to learn how to weld and do it myself. I actually have access to a full machine shop at Drexel (but projects are supposed to be engineering related). Maybe I can get one of the guys to show me how to weld. I can just tell them I'm re-engineering my exhaust for school purposes:D

Moved On / My Own Choice
21st October 2008, 18:19
The "street legal" ones only came out in the past 2 years or so - and they are not supposed to be that loud. So if the guy is selling them because they are loud, I doubt they are the legal ones.

As for Gronks. I can help with everything but the flaring and welding. The guy I had to the welding was pricey, but he gave me a break because I was having him cut/reweld some stainless for one of my Guzzis.

I'm told that Cycle Adventures in West Chester did the welding for someone else on here and they seem like a decent little mom/pop shop.

I would think that any muffler shop could be talked into it.

I'm out in Kennett Square, just let me know if I can be of assistance.

Kev

jamesr242
21st October 2008, 18:56
The "street legal" ones only came out in the past 2 years or so - and they are not supposed to be that loud. So if the guy is selling them because they are loud, I doubt they are the legal ones.

As for Gronks. I can help with everything but the flaring and welding. The guy I had to the welding was pricey, but he gave me a break because I was having him cut/reweld some stainless for one of my Guzzis.

I'm told that Cycle Adventures in West Chester did the welding for someone else on here and they seem like a decent little mom/pop shop.

I would think that any muffler shop could be talked into it.

I'm out in Kennett Square, just let me know if I can be of assistance.

Kev

He says they are from the 07 catalog and that there is only one pipe available which I am pretty sure is the street legal SE SP mufflers. They have the Harley Davidson script on one of the mufflers. Anyway, if they aren't in fact all that loud, I would much prefer to make my life easier and just get them. I am just a bit turned off because of him selling them because they are too loud and looking at the thread in the exhaust section about these, there were a few people stating that they were significantly louder than stock, which might get me into trouble.

bigjnsa
21st October 2008, 19:17
I've heard the SE and SEII slipons and they are mute quiet compared to my V&H StraightShots. You get the V&H if you *really* want to piss off your neighbors ;)

FoxsterUK
21st October 2008, 19:37
A mate of mine put those SP ones on his '05 and they don't sound loud to me. Noticeably quieter than the older SEIIs I have.

Get the part numbers off the guy selling them and check they are the SP ones. If they are then get 'em; even if they are a little louder you can always tip-toe it away from home and open it up later.

Fox

Moved On / My Own Choice
22nd October 2008, 16:26
Loud is so subjective.

IF it's the street legal ones they are the quietest things you're gonna find other than making it yourself.

What do you have to lose? You can always resell em, you can always gronk a set later if you want to.

Kev

cantolina
22nd October 2008, 17:09
SE's aren't really too obnoxious...I wouldn't worry too much about that...

Samsons or V&H, now you're asking for it! ;)

Fenny
22nd October 2008, 17:24
Loud is so subjective....What do you have to lose? You can always resell em, you can always gronk a set later if you want to.

Kev

My thoughts exactly. My brother put on a set of new SEs on his wife's '07 Deluxe. Not exactly the same as a Sportster per say, but they were NOT noticably louder than stock.

BTW, Cantolina, love your avatar:)...Say, is there an official 'House' thread yet?:smoke

Gone
11th November 2008, 16:03
I have wanted to do a stage one on my 04 1200R for some time now. i have already installed a SE high flow air cleaner which gave me a nice boost, but when it comes to the pipes, that's where my dilemma is.

I live in an apartment complex in a relatively nice area outside of Philadelphia. The problem is that I do all of my maintenance/mods in the parking lot (can't afford/trust anyone else) and this is technically a violation of the lease. No one has really complained yet because I am very neat and always put away all my tools every time I walk away from the bike. I do get some weird looks though. You should have seen the look on the lady that saw my drilling out the mixture cap on the carb!:laugh

I couldn't care less about how an exhaust sounds, but I just don't like to do things half way. Anyway, I found a good deal on some SE Street Performance mufflers locally and I'm wondering if you think its a bad idea. I really don't want to piss people off to the point where they complain and I can't do bike maintenance anymore.

Buy 'em and put 'em on. Just don't crank your bike up so you can hear the loud sound in the parking lot. I have them on my bike and leave the house at 4-5 AM sometimes for a day trip. I just take it easy until I get a respectful distance from the house. :D :)

Bob F
11th November 2008, 16:54
I couldn't care less about how an exhaust sounds, but I just don't like to do things half way.

Suppertrapp 2:1, tunable for performance or volume. The Gronk Mod will give you about a 2 HP gain, not worth my effort. This thread gives another option, the Jimmy Mod. You could do it anywhere with a battery drill.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=338778

daggar rider
11th November 2008, 17:46

i agree with this, it sounds like you have a good respect for your neighbors which means you won't be gunnin the throttle late at night or early in the morning, i have loud pipes (not rediculous but they are nice) and when i come in late or leave early i make sure to be easy on the throttle leaving my community, i think you should do it, you will get a good sound when you crack the throttle but as has been said, it won't shatter the windows. if you are only lookin for performance then the reply i quoted says in all IMO

Moved On / My Own Choice
11th November 2008, 18:12
Suppertrapp 2:1, tunable for performance or volume. The Gronk Mod will give you about a 2 HP gain, not worth my effort. This thread gives another option, the Jimmy Mod. You could do it anywhere with a battery drill.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=338778

I think this is a great idea. We use to do dresser mufflers this way but I haven't seen it done to a Sporty muffler before. Maybe someone here has done it and posted it, if so please let me know. I'm going to call it the "Jimmy Mod". I did the Gronk Mod, opened up the AC and installed a K&N Filter, had a baseline done on a Dyno and only gained 2 HP but the Gronk Mod was a nicer sound. Thanks for sharing this.

After a LOT of reading on this forum I went for the Suppertrapp 2:1 and love it but the Jimmy Mod is fast and free. What's better than fast and free?

EDIT: Suppertrapp has good customer support. Kodak has bad customer support.

Have you had subsequent dyno runs to show some more comparative data?

Considering what a difference the Gronks (and an SE AC) made to our 05 883, I'm a little skeptical at your results.

jamesr242
12th November 2008, 00:40
Well, I went ahead and got the SE SP mufflers. I like them a lot! At about 2500 RPM and below, they aren't really much louder than stock. Once you start to really get on it, the sound level goes up a lot, but not quite to the point where it's annoying. I couldn't believe how different the bike felt once I put them on. It feels noticeably faster and smoother running. Now I finally understand what this paying taxes thing is all about. I used to just think people were exaggerating about the difference, but it is like night and day. I doubt anyone in my apartment complex is going to get annoyed or even notice the difference in mufflers.

Have you had subsequent dyno runs to show some more comparative data?

Considering what a difference the Gronks (and an SE AC) made to our 05 883, I'm a little skeptical at your results.

A lot of that might have been the SE AC. I don't have any numbers, but I feel like the bike gained a good amount of power when I was running the stock pipes and the SE AC. I feel like more was gained when I installed the AC than when I had the AC and installed the pipes.

mike131
12th November 2008, 00:57
jamesr242 put the loud pipes on her,its a harley American tradition,if it weren't harley wouldn't have a multi million dollar sound room to try too keep them sounding the same!LOUD pipes SAVE LIVES

0patience
12th November 2008, 00:59
The thing I noticed is that the SE mufflers that say Harley Davidson on them are considerably quieter than the ones that say Sceamin Eagle on them.
The ones with the Harley script on them are a little more rumbly than the stock ones, but far from loud. While the ones with the Screamin Eagle script are fairly loud.

I have the ones with the Screamin Eagle script on them and my bro-in-law has the ones with the Harley script.
I may swap him. LOL!

Kobo
12th November 2008, 04:03
Can you work on it at a friend's house? I would go for it because customizing is one of the joys in life that is a gift to yourself that keeps on giving. Go for the louder pipes too. After getting my new mufflers, cagers notice me more and I haven't had as many close calls.

Moved On / My Own Choice
12th November 2008, 14:53
A lot of that might have been the SE AC. I don't have any numbers, but I feel like the bike gained a good amount of power when I was running the stock pipes and the SE AC. I feel like more was gained when I installed the AC than when I had the AC and installed the pipes.

TRADITIONALLY that's true (i.e. on carbureted bikes like yours or the 05 I was referencing).

However, starting in 07 Harley CLAIMS the lionshare of the stage I can be gained simply by adding their SE slip-ons (or logically any slip-on with similar flow characteristics).

I'm assuming it's differences in the throttle body that have changed the restriction point from one end to the other.

johnnysquire
12th November 2008, 15:21
For flaring the Gronk'ed baffles, I ran across this gem (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37353). Harbor Freight tools aren't great (or even good) quality, but for a one-time job, it seems worth a few bucks to try.

Moved On / My Own Choice
12th November 2008, 15:56
For flaring the Gronk'ed baffles, I ran across this gem (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37353). Harbor Freight tools aren't great (or even good) quality, but for a one-time job, it seems worth a few bucks to try.

:clap:clap:clap

mjbogrand
12th November 2008, 21:45
Louder pipes are like asking if you should paint or chrome.
What do you like best?
I'm getting old,I guess,I don't like them loud.
Now the neighbor thing,I try to get away from everyone quickly.Or at least get from in between the buildings.
I don't really want the guy next door running his chainsaw just for fun to keep up with me!