PDA

View Full Version : Holy Friggin $#!@, it's a different bike!

Clarinetcat
30th July 2006, 04:11
Wow... I dropped off my '06 1200C this morning at my local shop, ready to have my Stage I done today. When I went back at 4pm, I picked up a totally different bike! Pipes & AC really made a difference in the overall look/sound/feel of an already great ride!

First step was the ham can came off, and replaced with an Arlin Ness Stage II "Big Sucker" grooved billet... it looks great... big fat exposed filter, and when you blip-blip the throttle you can hear it slurpin' air like...well... like a little kid trying to keep a rocket-pop from melting all over the sidewalk on a 107 degree day in August.

The pipes... Samson Big Guns 3 (http://www.samsonusa.com/bg3.htm)... Slashers. These pipes are so new they aren't even in the Custom Chrome Catalog yet. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL one piece chrome heatshield. The best way to describe the sound is like standing at the back of an inboard-outboard power boat with duel big-block Chevy engines... you get that low rumble around your head with that gurgle sound as the props wind up in the water... friggin amazing, and LOUD. The volume did surprise me... I am going on a long trip tomorrow and plan to try earplugs for comfort.

Speaking of loud, my Stebel Nautilus Compact air horn is mounted, but hookup is delayed until Wednesday evening as my mechanic wants to use the relay and didn't have the right wire. I will give a report later this week.

Tomorrow I will post before/after pictures of the Stage I, but overall with the advice and information on this forum, I believe it is a great success! :wonderlan

rshute4
30th July 2006, 05:07
Congrats! glad you like it now get out and enjoy it!

05low
30th July 2006, 05:13
Congrats on the stage one. I will have to agree that those samsons are loud, a buddy of mine has them on his 1200 and I hate riding behind him.

CaptEvo
30th July 2006, 05:17
Holy Shizzle....those pipes are expensive.

Clarinetcat
30th July 2006, 05:20
Holy Shizzle....those pipes are expensive.
Yah... they are a tad on the expensive side. :eek

I figured I would get what I really wanted... had the money budgeted after buying the bike last month so... VAAROOOOOOOOM! Here are some pictures:

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/Stage1Left.JPG
Stebel Compact Chrome Air Horn on the left side...

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/Stage1Right.JPG
Samson Big Guns 3 Slashers and Ness StageII Big Sucker, Grooved Billet cover

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/Stage1RightFront.JPG
Close-up Front...

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/Stage1RightRear.JPG
Close-up Rear...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

JVRudnick
31st July 2006, 22:08
man o man...that's one FINE looking Sporty!

Jim

cjburr
31st July 2006, 22:29
Looks great !!!!!

Gone
31st July 2006, 22:33
That's one sweet ride!!! Was there any adjustments necessary to install the Big Sucker. I have an 2006 XL883L converted and would like to install that same air filter system.... Thanks

Sportster Girl
31st July 2006, 22:40
Man, that's a good-lookin' bike!

Those pipes are sweet! :D

Clarinetcat
1st August 2006, 00:07
That's one sweet ride!!! Was there any adjustments necessary to install the Big Sucker. I have an 2006 XL883L converted and would like to install that same air filter system.... Thanks
Ummm... I am looking through the paperwork now... I didn't do the work on the bike. (I would end up with a $10,000 paperweight if I did :doh ) This was ordered through Custom Chrome, look HERE (http://www.customchrome.com/catalogs/CCP2006/0667.html) for the website. It is the Stage II Big Sucker with the Billet Cover... the Stage II is bigger than the original Big Sucker kit, 20% more air supposedly. Anyways, it says it comes with backing plate and all hardware, and it shows the gasket being installed in the directions, etc. I assume everything you need is there, but never assume :P On the directions it actually says, "Questions? Call Arlen Ness (925) 479-6350." (It really says that)

"Hello, Arlin? You have a moment to answer a couple questions about your Big Sucker?"

"Uhhh... I just got out of the shower. What about my big sucker?" :roflblack

Anyways, thanks kindly to all the complements on my ride... I am very pleased that completing Stage I with just pipes and AC really helped clean up the lines of an otherwise stock bike. (More to come in the future!) Sincerely, Cat

debster
1st August 2006, 00:10
It's a thing o' beauty! Love the look of the A/C, and the pipes are awesome. Wish I could hear it!

Gone
1st August 2006, 00:19
Thank you for your reply. I am instaling new tin on mine Friday...bleck background with candy orange flames by Attitiue Custom painting in FL.

Clarinetcat
1st August 2006, 00:23
It's a thing o' beauty! Love the look of the A/C, and the pipes are awesome. Wish I could hear it!
Thanks! As far as hearing it, I did plan ahead and videotaped the "before" and "after" sounds, now all I have to do is figure out how to somehow transfer the footage to the computer... never done that before, and I is not da computa jeanus. If I do manage to figure it out, it will be eventually posted on the Exhaust Sound Thread (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=31892).

dodgenbullets
1st August 2006, 01:29
The Big Sucker I and the stage II are the same kit except for the air filter itself. If you have a stage one kit you can buy the bigger replacement filter and make it a stage II. The big replacement filter is predrilled for all applications you just plug off the holes you won't use. Enjoy

leadmagnet
1st August 2006, 02:02
I don't mean to sound insecure in my sexuality, but a PINK air cleaner?

Dude, I won't even wear pink shirts.

Clarinetcat
1st August 2006, 02:16
I don't mean to sound insecure in my sexuality, but a PINK air cleaner?

Dude, I won't even wear pink shirts.
Well, it IS a girlie bike after all, isn't it? ;)

As far as the color, it is actually a darker red/brown than it looks in the picture, but who cares? It is only an air cleaner, and that is what came with the kit.

As far as you not wearing pink shirts, maybe you should try it. You might get laid.
:roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack

edit: Just went and looked... HOT DAMN! It IS kinda pink I guess! Someone call Arlin Ness, QUICK!

choppedBuell
2nd August 2006, 01:41
Sounds like a screamer!

jamman
2nd August 2006, 01:57
MMMMMMMMMM Black and Chrome...

Gone
2nd August 2006, 02:31
Cat,

nice very nice, i like the look of the rear pipe, wait til you get them real good and hot they will sound awesome..

sfxtech
2nd August 2006, 07:58
There is no special adjustments to put the Big Sucker on. I got mine off ebay for 90 bucks shipped brand new. It comes with everything that you need to install it, backing plate, bolts, o-rings....etc. If you are just going to do stage I then you don't need the stage II big sucker, the stage I big sucker is capable of sucking more air than you need for stage I, so unless you really like the look of the bigger filter element, it's not worth the extra $$.

Gone
2nd August 2006, 16:25
Okay thanks... I took yesterday off and just got back to read this.

kevinhdy
2nd August 2006, 16:43
Other than a better sound I really didn't notice any performance gains after my Stage I, it may have even felt a little slower on the bottom end (loss of backpressure) Of course, it could be that I was getting used to riding period so the faster speeds just didn't seem as fast, I don't know.

ennbee7
5th September 2006, 03:20
that is one nice lookin scoot

cgp-1200R
5th September 2006, 04:09
looks great

MDT
5th September 2006, 04:14
How did you get your bike to flex it's muscles while you took the pictures?

Gone
5th September 2006, 04:20
I know you're a proud papa!:)

ennbee7
5th September 2006, 06:01
love the bike and w/ the big sucker on there, how's gas mileage? or do you really care? LOL :)

XL883L
20th September 2006, 15:35
I replaced my SC aircleaner with the stage II AC. I noticed it breathing a ton better! As far as the pink element goes someone posted a while back about some aftermarket (not K&N) filtercharger kit that is blue. I need to go back and find that cause the blue would look good with the bike being blue also.

wagondog
20th September 2006, 15:52
Great lookin' Sporty, where did you get that rear wheel, absolutely beautiful. Where do you park your bike at night, I rrrrrrreally like that wheel.:D
Ride Safe
Wagondog

Clarinetcat
20th September 2006, 16:26
love the bike and w/ the big sucker on there, how's gas mileage? or do you really care? LOL
Gas mileage still averages about 45-50 per gallon I think...

Great lookin' Sporty, where did you get that rear wheel, absolutely beautiful. Where do you park your bike at night, I rrrrrrreally like that wheel.:D
Ride Safe
Wagondog
The rear wheel?!?!? That is the super-secret extra-special mega-expensive Harley-Davidson rear wheel for the Custom 1200 Sportster... is was just over $10,000 for the wheel, but the dealer was running a special incentive that week, so the rest of the bike came with it.
:doh

It's the stock wheel :)

wagondog
20th September 2006, 16:33
Gas mileage still averages about 45-50 per gallon I think...

The rear wheel?!?!? That is the super-secret extra-special mega-expensive Harley-Davidson rear wheel for the Custom 1200 Sportster... is was just over $10,000 for the wheel, but the dealer was running a special incentive that week, so the rest of the bike came with it.
:doh

It's the stock wheel :)
I may not have been looking but I v'e seen many Customs but never remember seeing that wheel. It almost has a sports car look to it. Very nice Sportster, should be proud of that one...

Fork
20th September 2006, 19:21
Thats a great looking ride!!

ken01976
20th September 2006, 19:52
Ne1 have any problems in the bad rain with open element filters?

Clarinetcat
20th September 2006, 19:54
Ne1 have any problems in the bad rain with open element filters?
No, not really... check HERE (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?p=497748#post497748).

skidkid
13th October 2006, 16:52
Out standing ride

Prebs
13th October 2006, 17:04
Cat super sweet looking bike ya got there. pipes and a/c look really nice and make the bike look sexy;)

I recently did my stage one Bigness stage1 its super sweet when i get my cam back i will take pics .. the only thing about having the "nakid" look they told me if u wash the bike (for those who do) cover the filter with a plastic baggy so it doesnt get soaked..

Gone
17th November 2006, 03:32
great213213213

Brad
17th November 2006, 04:09
Wow... I dropped off my '06 1200C this morning at my local shop, ready to have my Stage I done today.

I'm out near your way - I think. Who is your 'local shop'?

BTW - bike is awesome!

Clarinetcat
17th November 2006, 04:26
I'm out near your way - I think. Who is your 'local shop'?

MOJO Riders Cycle Shop (http://mojoriderscycleshop.com/)

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m96/clarinetcat1/XL%20Forum%20Pics/15mph.jpg

Clarinetcat
5th March 2007, 11:58
I second the BG3 Slashers... probably the best purchase for the bike I ever made. Nice looking ride you've got there. Of course I may be a little partial...

Thanks kindly, and welcome to the forum!
Be sure to post some pics of your ride soon!

garyharden
9th April 2007, 23:40
great looking bike cant wait to get my stage 1 mods done this week.

reedj24
10th April 2007, 00:16
I also have the BG3's and Big Sucker 2. The look, sound and seat of the pants feel are all well worth it!!

VERY nice bike!

Sporty1
10th April 2007, 01:55
That is a :censor awesome lookin bike , I really like the look of the pipes and the way they flow with the bike:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

xbuzzardx
25th July 2007, 00:47
Great lookin' bike Cat! Everyone knows that a Sporty just ain't "a Harley" unless it has a loud set of pipes! Right Kev?

Mike

hikerbiker
25th July 2007, 16:55
I also have a 06 1200 C and your right what a difference the stage one makes
I went with the cycle shack slip ons, and the force winder a/c.

phantom
25th July 2007, 17:29
Lookin good!