PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Out My Tank

Shamdog
27th February 2005, 03:15
Any ideas on how to get the last bit of gas (more importantly the fumes) out of my tank so I can ship it off for paint? Don't want UPS to smell it and get pissed.

IronMick
27th February 2005, 08:32
I set mine up outside with my shop vac on suck mode and left it for most of an hour. Then i rinsed it out with some motor oil so that it would not rust while being worked on.

thunderpaw
27th February 2005, 19:58
Do NOT use a match! :smoke

Seriously, if you know someone that can steam-clean it, that would be preferable and then coat it with tank liner (like POR) to prevent rust.

Kim

Also, be careful using anything that generates sparks...i.e.: shop-vac...around gas vapors!

IronMick
27th February 2005, 23:13
I would say listen to someone else other than Kim and myself. We are going to contradict each other and leave you wondering just what to do. I would not use steam or water as a cleaning agent - i have heard that subsequently your tank will rust out.

Hey Kim, how's it goin'?

cantolina
28th February 2005, 00:36
Dry it out with compressed air....

Then, coat the insides with a rust protectant....let it dry....more compressed air.........seal it before shipping....

Shamdog
28th February 2005, 16:11
What type of rust protectant? And how do you make sure all surfaces are coated?

I think there might be a little rust in there already. How do I clean that out?

cantolina
28th February 2005, 16:14
Uh-oh........lol

That's a thread in and of itself...

Willprevale has had considerable luck in this regard. PM him and ask him what he did to his.....

I'm sure others will chime in here....knowing you already HAVE rust makes this a little different...

There are several sealers on the market that work very well...I, personally, haven't had to deal with this yet, so I'll stand aside and let those with experience in tank cleaning step up...

gearhead
28th February 2005, 16:27
nice thing abot POR is it "changes" the rust and seals it, at least thier POR 15 product does.

Thier tank sealer on the other hand is a bit different I think, but still top notch stuff:
http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=163

"U.S. STANDARD FUEL TANK SEALER™ was formulated and developed in our own laboratories due to the demand for a high-tech sealer impervious to all fuels, including the new Stage II fuels which have a high alcohol content. It has superior strength and fuel resistance, and does not contain Methyl Ethyl Ketone, a highly flammable and deadly carcinogen (cancer-causing). U.S. STANDARD FUEL TANK SEALER™ is non-flammable and is environmentally safe"

They sell a kit with everything you would need, excpet maybe gloves and time =)
http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=306
and 32 bux doesnt seem too bad.

It's got to be better than that stuff I paid to have put in my old Kaw that I had to fish out in pieces at a later date.

oh yea, I'm in no way affiliated with POR, I just like thier stuff =)

willprevale
28th February 2005, 16:34
I have used the POR system on a badly rusted tank. So has stevo. It works. It's the best system on the market IMHO. A great idea if you're going the custom paint route. I'd do it prior to shippng out for painting as it will completely eliminate any trace of gas fumes.

IronMick
1st March 2005, 00:16
In my town there are some auto radiator shops that do fuel tank sealing with products like the POR. Perhaps a different brand. I have heard stories of guys doing it themselves with these products and then having it peel off later. Very bad. If you are going to do it yourself you must be absolutely certain that the rust is removed before applying the sealer.

I always send mine out to a shop to be done by an experienced person.

Shamdog
1st March 2005, 22:36
Ordered it...Thanks.

That's what makes this place so great - Help when you need it!