PDA

View Full Version : Wind and it's weird effects.

HDWL1947
1st August 2006, 02:55
Wind on a bike has effects we rarely think about. I've mentioned about riding with my feet on the rear pegs.
No windshield and when I wear my rain jacket the thing acts like a sail and the amount of force to hold on is increased. Think of it as isometric exercise to build you upper arms.
I wear a helmet with a flip up face shield. This has worked well until last night. For some unknown reason I decided to shave my beard off. When I rode to work last night the difference in the amount of wind under the shield was drastic! This morning coming home from work I could hardly see as the wind behind the shield was really bad. My new glasses don't work as well as my old ones as they are smaller. Tonight I'll try my old glasses and my good sun glasses for the ride home.
Also with my beard gone and the increased amount of wind noise the valve noise from the engine disappeared.

Kentucky
1st August 2006, 23:57
I enjoy the wind myself but I do know others that don't like it at all. This in reference to riding in the wind as opposed to wind within the confines of my ff helmet. I don't wear a ff on the Sporty but I do when riding the crotch rocket so I know what you mean. I began riding with a balaclava about 2 years ago and love it. It keeps the sweat out of my eyes and it helps to seal the bottom of the helmet. The use of a balaclava also reduces helmet noise. I know a lot of folks that wouldn't want to use one but it sure has helped me and I don't ride the crotch rocket without the balaclava and a good pair of mirrored safety glasses........ My shield is also mirrored to reduce helmet heat.

rickyraveon
3rd August 2006, 22:01
I know what you guys mean. I rode yesterday w/o a windshield, with a half helmet, and some very nice fitting sunglasses. Never again. at 103 degrees and 70 MPH, I was tortured for 20 miles. The windshield went on again last nite real quick.
I too, like to ride with a FF, without a shield, with my feet on the back pegs.

I don't know how those guys ride with only sunglasses all the time. (I wear contacts, too)

Kentucky
3rd August 2006, 22:51
I know what you guys mean. I rode yesterday w/o a windshield, with a half helmet, and some very nice fitting sunglasses. Never again. at 103 degrees and 70 MPH, I was tortured for 20 miles. The windshield went on again last nite real quick.

Yeah, it's pretty much like riding through a bake oven isn't it. The windshield does do its job under those conditions but wait, under those same conditions riding a Sporty is like sitting on a space heater anyway. So, which one would you rather fry, your face or your a$$........ GRIN!!!

blazzinbird
3rd August 2006, 23:06
I too, like to ride with a FF, without a shield, with my feet on the back pegs.

I don't know how those guys ride with only sunglasses all the time. (I wear contacts, too)

when i ride no windsheild, no helmet only my oakleys sunglasses or my mc glasses at night.

I love the feel of the wind threw what little hair i have. I find it very peacful, doing about 80 down interstate 57 it really clears my mind.

rickyraveon
4th August 2006, 17:35
I can't see anything riding like that. My eyes water too bad. Today, I'm behind the big 21" Memphis fats. Much better.

Oh yeah, I had my own little bag of roasted nuts after coming home yesterday, too. Yoweee!

Gone
4th August 2006, 17:42
the wind in the hair is great wind sheilds are good for long runs but 108 and 70 miles an hour is not bad at all

pperrone
5th August 2006, 01:00
I have the small H-D sport windshield and a half helmet. I bought birdz goggles with foam around the eyes, they work great. That is my usual attire when just riding 2-lane roads around 65mph. Also a t-shirt and jeans or shorts depending on the length of my trip.
When I hit the interstate at 80mph+ I prefer tuse my ff helmet and H-D mesh jacket. I too hang my feet on the back pegs at those speeds, otherwise I stretch out on my highway pegs.

Matt
5th August 2006, 02:04
I guess I'm old school. Leather gloves and jacket at all times-might reduce water loss from air flow. At least DOT cop style 1/2 helmet. Matt

Little_Dave
8th August 2006, 17:46
I have a H-D quick release screen that I have cut down about 2 inches. ( I'm a shortarse anyway, it means I can see over the edge of the screen, especially when it's raining and that happens a lot here!:D) I just ride with prescription glasses and a open face helmet with a swivel visor. I also wear a pair of goggles after a couple of times I got a wee bit of grit in my eye, the goggles cover my ordinary glasses or my prescription shades. I'm not fussed on ff helmets, I feel too restricted in them.

Gone
10th August 2006, 18:30
Glad I read the thread, New 1200C owner with daily round trip of 105 miles.
Pick up my quick detach W/S today. Did not think I wanted one until I hit the interstate at 3:30 A.M. 70-75 at 55 to 60 degrees, 1/2 helmet and over the glasses googles. Made me a windshield wannabe real quick.

Sporting Lad
22nd August 2006, 06:42
I got the HD quick detach windshield last year. I HATE it! The mounting works fine (one of the hinge pins fell out on the first day) and there's no buffeting above, but the wind coming from BELOW wraps around the tank and blasts UP to my face in this tremendous updraft. No matter what style helmet/goggle combo I use, it vibrates my teeth and jiggles my eyes to the extent that I have trouble reading signs. After I park it my vision continues to jiggle for some time afterwards. When I remove the W/S, the riding's great and all the buffeting problems disappear. I ordered a set of MS lowers my HD dealer promised would fit, but they were totally wrong. Obviously, I'll need to do SOMEthing, cuz I DO want a W/S option, but right now I'm stuck with an expensive item I can't use. I'll talk to my dealer again tomorrow, but don't expect them to offer any solution or compensation. 8:-I

canroc
22nd August 2006, 13:54
I got the HD quick detach windshield last year. I HATE it! The mounting works fine (one of the hinge pins fell out on the first day) and there's no buffeting above, but the wind coming from BELOW wraps around the tank and blasts UP to my face in this tremendous updraft. No matter what style helmet/goggle combo I use, it vibrates my teeth and jiggles my eyes to the extent that I have trouble reading signs. After I park it my vision continues to jiggle for some time afterwards. When I remove the W/S, the riding's great and all the buffeting problems disappear. I ordered a set of MS lowers my HD dealer promised would fit, but they were totally wrong. Obviously, I'll need to do SOMEthing, cuz I DO want a W/S option, but right now I'm stuck with an expensive item I can't use. I'll talk to my dealer again tomorrow, but don't expect them to offer any solution or compensation. 8:-I
I had the same problem with the wind when I had the quick detach windshield. I got a pair of lowers from National Cycle that took care of the problem. I used these on long trips.

I have since added auxiliary lights and had to replace the quick detach with the windshield specifically for the extra lights. I haven't tried the lowers yet with this setup. They don't fit as well, leaving a gap between the lights and top of the lowers, so I'll probably have to make some adjustments.

Sporting Lad
23rd August 2006, 06:01
Well, surprise! The dealer modified the Memphis Shades mounting brackets and installed the lowers today. No charge for labour/installation! The modification seemed to work good on the ride home (full-face helmut) but the true test will occur tomorrow when I try it with the 1/2 helmut. I'll try to remember to let you all know what happens.

photon
23rd August 2006, 06:47
I got the HD quick detach windshield last year. I HATE it! The mounting works fine (one of the hinge pins fell out on the first day) and there's no buffeting above, but the wind coming from BELOW wraps around the tank and blasts UP to my face in this tremendous updraft. Here's a link to an interesting, if rather bazaar, solution to that updraft problem. Has anyone tried this?
http://www.jacksflaps.com/info.html

Helixx
1st September 2006, 05:02
I have the small H-D sport windshield and a half helmet. I bought birdz goggles with foam around the eyes, they work great. That is my usual attire when just riding 2-lane roads around 65mph. Also a t-shirt and jeans or shorts depending on the length of my trip.
When I hit the interstate at 80mph+ I prefer tuse my ff helmet and H-D mesh jacket. I too hang my feet on the back pegs at those speeds, otherwise I stretch out on my highway pegs.

I also have a sport shield and I find that it blocks out 80% of the wind and at 70 my feet go to the back pegs too. Im looking for a cheap pair of Highway pegs for Mine - there doesnt seem to be many optionf for The 06' models. Here in Texas when it got to 109 it was down and out miserable to ride in. When I got on the Highway it was like putting my daughters blow dryer in my face on high about 2" from my face! I ride FF , Wife beater , and Shorts in the summer - You can get an awesome tan :)

RICOB1
1st September 2006, 14:23
I would suggest reading the book "Twist of the Wrist Part 2" Never ever tense up and put a death grip on the grips, it makes the bike shake. I have tried this and it works! I just hold the grips normally and don't tense up, if your biceps are tense then you know you are making things worse.

Bow6
1st September 2006, 14:38
My cure was lowers from Rifle Fairings ... Worked great on my 06...883C... With the quick detach shield... I ride wearing a baseball cap, bill forward 75-80 MPH granted it is pulled down snug but not down over my ears.. Ha...

sanfam93
11th September 2006, 03:21
Well as for me I'm a new rider, I ware a flip up full face helmet and a power trip jacket just incase, here in so cal helmet is law and lots of careless drivers on the road.

Oh I also were custom ear plugs that help with the noise