PDA

View Full Version : Building Brake Lines

Yuma Rider
1st August 2006, 06:01
Hi,

I have been lurking around here for a long time and finally have decided to ask a question. I am thinking about building my own front brake line since I have put low rise drag bars on. The line now seems like it is too long and consequently has a lot of pressure on it.

Does anyone out there have experience with building their own brake lines?

What am I going to need? I am assuming new banjo bolts and fittings top and bottom as well as the line. Do I need sealant at the fittings? I also noticed in my J&P catalog there are banjo bolts and fittings specifically for the 04-06 bikes. I am assuming that is what I need ('o5 1200c) or can I use others?

May have more questions later. Thanks in advance.
Random dancing cow because it is cool:danccow

Mike

Gone
1st August 2006, 06:06
Wecome to the forum. Don't have any answers on your brake lines. Haven't done it myself.

toe
1st August 2006, 06:09
I wouldn't build the brakeline part (like you can do with oil lines), but you can get the brake line in 3 pieces; the end pieces have male AN fittings, and the hose has female AN fittings (usually AN3) and you don't need any sealant.....

2 pieces are the ends, and then a middle brakeline piece.

So you don't have to change the whole brakeline if you change something. Like a different end for a different caliper, or a different length middle piece for different handlebars..........

Not sure of the specific ends for an 05......

roadster
1st August 2006, 06:25
Toe has the right idea. Check out Drag Specialties or Custom Chrome for the components you need. Trying to swage your own hydraulic lines is not a great idea unless you really know what you're doing. The pre-fab parts come in a wide array of styles,colors,you name it. Nice way to do it.

lagerdrinker
1st August 2006, 06:34
i wouldnt recommend making your own line unless you have the proper tools like a double flare tool. and even then you can have a custom line made for you for about the same price of the tool.

i have the doubleflare tool and believe me it takes practice to get it done right.

lagerdrinker
1st August 2006, 06:37
and no sealant on the threads. itll get into your brakes(mastercylinder) and gum them up. use crush gaskets.

Yuma Rider
1st August 2006, 06:44
Sorry, maybe I was misunderstood/unclear in my wording. I meant making my lines from pre-fab parts ordered out of a catalog instead of buying a brake line kit.

I want to get a specific length of line so I do not have to much excess hanging around. I am looking at the clear coated stainless Goodridge lines out of the J&P catalog.

thanks for quick replys

Mike

midnitewolf
1st August 2006, 09:57
Yes you can buy the fittings and the proper length of
braided line and assemble it yourself .
I made mine when I put apes on my 04

Vegas1200C
1st August 2006, 10:16
You need 2 x AN-3 10mm 35 degree bango fittings and whatever length hose you need. I used the stock bolts so I'm not sure what size but I think it is a 10mm 1.5. You can give the JP tech support a call and they will make sure it all fits your bike.

sportsterrific
1st August 2006, 14:41
I did it on my 883C. Use a piece of string or wire to determine the correct length of brake line, figure out the right type of end fittings (Banjo bolts and copper crush washers), then slap the whole thing together. It was pretty simple actually, as long as you know how to bleed brakes.

Yuma Rider
1st August 2006, 16:14
Thanks for the replys. I have no idea how to bleed brakes but I think I can figure it out. I know I have seen a few posts about it. I have a friend close by that works on peoples bikes, mostly sportbikes, he has done a few guys brakes so hopefully he can help. Got the manual so that should give me some idea.

I am having the same problem with my clutch cables also, a little to long now. Can I shorten the cables I have or do I need to buy custom length cables? If I do have to buy do you guys know any good vendors for custom length cables?

Mike

Matt
1st August 2006, 18:11
If you can find an Aeroquip (sp?) dealer he can make a braided stainless line for you, not cheap tho. Bleeding brakes is simple, any manual takes you thru it w no problem.

Big_Baazzoo
1st August 2006, 19:10
I got the Goodridge Braided Brake line from J&P Cycles. Their tech support told me everything I needed to know. When you are measuring, just remember the braided line doesn't make quite as tight a turn as rubber, to turn 90 deg. is about a 8 in radius. I ordered the 90 deg banjo fitting, cuz that was what was on there, but the line had to make too tight a turn, so I got the 135 deg fitting. It was easy.

oh, that was on the softail, I'm going to do the sporty soon.

Vegas1200C
1st August 2006, 22:41
The clutch cable has a fitting mashed into both ends of the cable. A cylinder on top to catch the lever and a loop on the bottom to attach to the clutch. Without the machines to crimp the ends it is impossible to shorten the cable itself. I do have a trick for making clutch cable sheath shorter but it only works for me because I don't need the lever end crimp.

Yuma Rider
5th August 2006, 23:43
Hey thanks everyone. I got my line and fittings yesterday and put them on today. I just got back from a quick test ride and the front brake feels a lot better than stock. I went with Goodridge ebony lines, they are stainless braided lines with a black coating and I got the black fittings, used my stock bolts. Bleeding was a pain but not the nightmare that I was thinking it would be.

Just as a side note I ordered over the phone and the J&P guy told me I needed one 10mm and one 12mm fitting. I told him to double check and he said the same thing. So after I placed my order I checked back here on the forum and then the manual and called them back armed with info. They checked again and told me I was right with needing two 10mm. Luckily they fixed the order before it shipped but with out the info here my bike would have been down for a few days.

Thanks again,
Mike