PDA

View Full Version : helmet shield scratches

sunkenloot
28th February 2005, 00:26
I like the reflective shields for taking the bite off the Texas sun. It seems like the coating doesnt hold up worth a :censor . I dont know how or what keeps scratching it up but, is usually trashed after six months. Is there any tricks to getting these to last longer? Spray coating? Different brand? SOL? Anyway, the helmet is a HJC as is the reflective visor. Like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/sunkenloot/helmet.jpg

chipdog4
28th February 2005, 00:53
This may look bad on the helmet, but have you considered tear-offs. Dirt bike riders use them and whenever they get dirt all over the shield, they pull a sheet of plastic off the shield for a fresh layer. All you would need is one until it get buggered up or whatever then put a new layer on between rides. I think they're relatively cheap compared to the $25+ shield you buying now.

Luckymic
28th February 2005, 01:05
I dont know it it'll work on your particular application, but I rain-x mine. The wax coating seems to help keep the little nicks and scratches off as well as the rain. You might want to give it a try.

PEISprotster
28th February 2005, 01:44
I used to put raindance wax on mine but noe it seems like the layer of wax is coming off in patches and looks like @#$^ . Any ideas on how to get the scum off the plastic?

xllent01
28th February 2005, 01:55
Never dry wipe a lexan poly carbonite shield. It will scratch

the holy hell out of them. Whenever you need to clean them
pull shield off the helmet and use nothing but a mild soap
and water to clean shield and let it air dry. When almost
dry just pat it with a terry towel, and never use a paper
towel to dry. :yikes

Just my .02 from my moto-x days ;)

sportsterpaul
15th September 2009, 22:30
I presently have 6 years and about 80,000 miles on a gold iridium shield from Shoei. It was much more exspensive than others but I am glad I bit the bullet way back when. It is due for replacement but so is my helmet. FYI, I only use "plastic cleaners" on it and never ever use the squegee at the gas pump! I am using Mequiars PlatX and have loaded some into an empty hand lotion container, small, it carries easy in a pocket with a couple tee-shirt sleeve cutoffs, and I make it a point to clean and polish at every opportunity. As a side note, I learned that while I have a little loss of perception after dark, the shield allows no glare to come through from oncoming headlights! A bonus to these old eyes. Ride safe or not but get out and ride.

Old_Goat57
15th September 2009, 22:57
I use Plast-X on windshields & helmet shields, but I do not have the metallic reflective type you describe.

As for the glare from drivng into a setting (or rising) sun, I have used black electrical tape to make a sun-shield for temporary use - you can put it on the inside or outside as needed and when you remove it, the tape does not leave a lot of sticky glue.

Sometimes the "expedient methods" just plain work...

but remember, only apply the stuff and buff it off in an UP-&-DOWN motion

Old_Goat57
15th September 2009, 23:00
Sorry, these 2 sentences were supposed to be together:

I use Plast-X on windshields & helmet shields, but I do not have the metallic reflective type you describe. But remember, only apply the stuff and buff it off in an UP-&-DOWN motion.

I can't type worth a darn lately :)

sportsterpaul
16th September 2009, 04:14
It's hell getting old, but somehow riding keeps you young, so do it! :bananaHave also added removable "tape" shading, works better on setting sun, oncoming headlights are more difficult for me.:frownone Ride safe.

Huladog
16th September 2009, 04:15
I used one with my Sy-Max and after a few months it lost parts of the coating in bubble shaped spots. Like the metallic coating just disappears.

I only used plain tap water with mild soap or detergent, using my hand to wash it, or used Plexus which is made for plastics. Not sure if the Plexus weakened the coating or not since I have no trouble with it on other faceshields or windshields.

They mirrored ones are more delicate, maybe the expensive brands like Arai and Shoei versions hold up better. That's the reason I went with smoked faceshields since they don't have the delicate metallic coatings, although the mirrored ones do look cool.

Aloha,
Huladog

sportsterpaul
16th September 2009, 04:21
Huladog: Again, I hated spending the money for the Shoei shield at that time but it seems to have paid of in the long run. I think they retailed for aroud $70.00, and on occaision you might find them discounted for near $50.00.