PDA

View Full Version : Stupid People - Shovelhead Sportsters

alleydude
28th February 2005, 13:35
Now and then I search eBay for Shovelhead Sportsters, just to see how many dumbasses are listing Ironheads as Shovelheads. Occasionally I nicely write the seller and explain their mistake, in the interest of educating them. Half the time I get a "thank you", sometimes I get a "I didn't realize, thank you", but about 1/3 the time I get an argument back. One in particular got my goat...

The auction is HERE (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4531484971).

I eMail him with this:

"Not a Shovelhead. It's a Sportster, or more accurately, and Ironhead
Sportster. A Shovelhead is a big twin."

Then I get this back from the seller, daisymae4553:

"Look buddy I know what it is and it is a Sporster and a Shovelhead engine. You need to look at Harley's encyclopedia which catalogs the last 100 years of HD. Even my mechanic says its a Shovel. Sometimes you need to pick your battles."

So I has to reply, in kind:

"LMAO! Yeh right. You need to recheck your references. Maybe check the Harley website. http://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/KNO/H101/en/hallofengines.asp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US
Bonehead."

And then I get this back:

"Maybe you should stick to "slotcars". And find something better to do with your time. Thanks so much. :( "

I just want to educate the bastard. Am I so wrong? :D

cantolina
28th February 2005, 13:39

Just speaking from personal experience.....ummmm....yes

alleydude
28th February 2005, 13:40
LMAO! :D

flathead45
28th February 2005, 13:50
I had to look to see what year this one was , some people feel that the 900cc sportys are a shovelhead cause the rockerbox doesn't have the notch in it

but this joker has a 78 and that is not a shovel head type sporty

and just to make it clear , a 900cc sporty is not a shovelhead , they do not share parts

willprevale
28th February 2005, 14:53
A man convinced against his will is a man of his own opinion still.

bplinson
28th February 2005, 15:52
I guess we all need to email this guy.

alleydude
28th February 2005, 16:34
If anyone does, I'd sure like to see what the S.O.B. has to say. :wonderlan

willprevale
28th February 2005, 17:02
I ran into that same issue this weekend. Some dinklewad was telling me about the Shovel Head Sportster he used to own. I told him he was mistaken. His reply was that all HDs since the panhead are considered shovels. In my mind, the converstaion was over.

I ignored him.

bplinson
28th February 2005, 17:40
Okay, email sent. Awaiting answer.

cantolina
28th February 2005, 17:51
That makes 2...lol

XLFREAK
28th February 2005, 20:41
like Red on that 70's show would say... Dumba$$!

nzsailor
28th February 2005, 20:58
you, me, all of us, were born completely ignorant
some cling to that for life
some try to cure it
never seen one that you could change to the other type either way
so i dont try
but then im one a them 60s love n peace type freaks
speakin of informin
i did go to thet hd engine site you quoted
uuuummmmmmmmmm.............
shouldnt someone tell em that they made a flathead 45 for a few days back there somewhere

alleydude
28th February 2005, 22:05
shouldnt someone tell em that they made a flathead 45 for a few days back there somewhere

And the Flathead ran well into the '70's on the Servi-Car. Quite the significant motor, to say the least.

HrdlyDangrs
28th February 2005, 22:41
If you talk to a an average Harley riders and refer to the Ironhead Sporty motor as a Shovelhead Sportster motor, most will understand exactly what Sporty motor your referring to.

They picture the motors similiar rocker boxes in their heads. This goes back as far as I can remember. I'm guilty of the same referance and I don't really give a shit if anyone likes it or not!

NO STOP E'MAILING ME YOU BUNCH OF :censorING KNUCKLEHEADS!!

alleydude
28th February 2005, 22:59
Don't call me a Knucking -I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!-lehead!

No doubt the motor LOOKS like a Shovelhead (sort'a), and if he had said it LOOKS like a Shovelhead I wouldn't have had an issue with him in the first place. :D :laugh

HrdlyDangrs
28th February 2005, 23:07
Oh yeah right...the next thing you'll be telling me is there's no such thing as a Flathead Sportster!!...Gowan..getattahere...

cantolina
28th February 2005, 23:18
Now and then I search eBay for Shovelhead Sportsters, just to see how many dumbasses are listing Ironheads as Shovelheads. Occasionally I nicely write the seller and explain their mistake, in the interest of educating them. Half the time I get a "thank you", sometimes I get a "I didn't realize, thank you", but about 1/3 the time I get an argument back. One in particular got my goat...

The auction is HERE (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4531484971).

I eMail him with this:

Then I get this back from the seller, daisymae4553:

"Look buddy I know what it is and it is a Sporster and a Shovelhead engine. You need to look at Harley's encyclopedia which catalogs the last 100 years of HD. Even my mechanic says its a Shovel. Sometimes you need to pick your battles."

So I has to reply, in kind:

"LMAO! Yeh right. You need to recheck your references. Maybe check the Harley website. http://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/KNO/H101/en/hallofengines.asp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US
Bonehead."

And then I get this back:

"Maybe you should stick to "slotcars". And find something better to do with your time. Thanks so much. :( "

This is the answer I got today....

Dear cantolina,

You asked:
"SHOVELHEAD Sportster? DO you mean Ironhead, or is this some kind of hybrid bike???"

My wife is the computer guru and i let her set this up i will be changing the ad. it is ironhead. thanks

alleydude
28th February 2005, 23:21
Hey, NOT FAIR! He was almost NICE to you!

Nobody likes me... :cry1

883Hugger
28th February 2005, 23:28
This is the answer I got today....

Dear cantolina,

You asked:
"SHOVELHEAD Sportster? DO you mean Ironhead, or is this some kind of hybrid bike???"

My wife is the computer guru and i let her set this up i will be changing the ad. it is ironhead. thanksWhat a doof!! First he completely defends the fact that its an shovelhead, then once even more ppl point out his error, he blames it on his wife:laugh . If you go to the auction you can see that he changed the description now.

HrdlyDangrs
28th February 2005, 23:40
Why don't yous guys stop your bitchn and sell ur 'Girls bikes' and get a REAL HARLEY SHOVELHEAD BIG TWIN MOTORCYCLE......

IronMick
28th February 2005, 23:58
<<
>>

I think you went looking for trouble with this brief statement. You looked for trouble and you found it. You are no doubt technically correct about the issue, but your way of handling was WRONG WRONG WRONG. You basically told a stranger, to his face, that he is wrong. [I guess i just did that too heh heh].

alleydude
1st March 2005, 00:25
[I guess i just did that too heh heh].

But, but, but...

But WE'RE not strangers. At least not as far as the Internet is concerned. So this is personal. I hate you.

:D

bud095
1st March 2005, 01:03
this is funny stuff! even my wife is laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!

HrdlyDangrs
1st March 2005, 01:17
.......allydude who Officer??

Max Throttle
4th March 2005, 12:16
here's another one......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6707&item=4531312516&rd=1

tprJJ49707
4th March 2005, 15:59
"Shovelsport." Right to the point. Even the stealership clowns would know what this is.

One of the "new age" parts guys would not sell me a 48 slojet for my CV retrofit (1000cc) because "Even the Twin Cam uses a 46 at the largest."

I had to point out that the Twin Cam was engineered with goals in mind in this decade, not a horrible, shop project gone wrong from the last century with hemi heads and a firehose carb shooting quality gas in quantity...

Eventually I asked for "Mike" whom they refer to as "Michael" the graybeard wrench in back that they rarely let talk to customers, due to his love of the "f" word which he uses like punctuation.

Shovelsport- it looks like a shovel (kinda) but costs less & goes faster...