PDA

View Full Version : How much on stick when cold

MGN54
14th August 2006, 16:19
Trying to correct overfill condition with turkey baster. No one tell my wife who is at work today...:shhhh How much oil should be showing on the dip stick when stone cold? Have not turned her over today yet. Want to get some of the oil out and then take her for a short ride to see where she comes up to on the stick.

Thanks!

Mark

gusotto
14th August 2006, 16:55
Check it when the engine is hot for a decent reading.

When the engine hasn't been run for a while, the oil will drain down into the sump and you may "think" you're low on oil.
You aren't.

When you're in a dealership sometime, check the oil levels on some of the bikes that are on the showroom floor. They'll read "down on oil," but after the engine is fired, oil starts to circulate and oil level will be back to normal levels.

When I have the bike stored for winter, my oil level can sometimes barely reach the dipstick but I know I'm full. When the engine is fired, oil comes up to normal.

My 2002 owners manual tells me to check the oil level AFTER the engine has been warmed up and to balance the bike straight up and THEN take my reading.

debster
14th August 2006, 23:09
When my 2000 is cold, the oil comes up about 1/3 of the way between the Add and Full mark. YMMV.

Scooter_Trash
14th August 2006, 23:31
I've been dealing with this also lately. I just filled to the low level line, fired her up then went for a short ride til it hit around 160. Checked the oil and it went up to about 1/3 between the low and high lines. I then filled it so it was just over the halfway point while it was still hot. Going to go from there and see how it does.