PDA

View Full Version : Help with SS2R Exhaust..

HD1200R
2nd March 2005, 22:14
I have an exhaust leak on the bike with where it muffler adapter meets up to the header. Is there supposed to be a gasket there? any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Dan

gwcrim
3rd March 2005, 00:00
Is that a slip fit joint, held together by a spring?

If it is then, no. There's no gasket. In fact, I don't recall any gaskets for an SS2-R.

Slip fit joints aren't real tight.

HD1200R
3rd March 2005, 02:40
Is that a slip fit joint, held together by a spring?

If it is then, no. There's no gasket. In fact, I don't recall any gaskets for an SS2-R.

Slip fit joints aren't real tight.

Yup! it's a slip fit with springs. No gaskets came with it either but was wondering if there is a material that I can use in there to help seal it. I would think that an exhaust leak like this would defanitely decrease the performance of the bike.

gwcrim
3rd March 2005, 13:39
It's not going to hurt performance. But if you want, there is some high temp RTV silicone gasket stuff. But it's messy as all heck. Might make the pipe hard to take apart as well. Other than that, maybe wrap some fiberglass around the inner to snug it up.

Gone
3rd March 2005, 15:39
HD1200R -

I copied the following from RB Racings web site. They recommend this stuff for the slip joints on their exhaust systems. They claim it will improve the heat seal and make it easier to slide the two pieces apart. Thought I would pass it along.

"RB Racing LSR 2-1 exhaust systems use either one or two slip joints depending on the model. We suggest you put a coating of Permatex 598B ULTRA BLACK in the slip joint. None of our slip joints use any clamps because then they wouldn't be slip joints anymore. The inner pipe gets hotter that the outer pipe and they grow into each other and form a tight seal. The 598B is a non hardening gasket material and will prevent any leakage from condensation that forms in the pipe and, with the usual carbon particles, will actually seal better over time. It also makes the pipes easy to take apart later on. Get a tube before you install your RB racing exhaust system."

HD1200R
3rd March 2005, 20:04
Thanks! I never even thought about the pipe expanding into the sleeve. I'll make sure to pick up that Permatex on the way home while I'm at it.

missyd
3rd March 2005, 20:49
Mine always leaked! But its ok and using some sort of heat sealant is very messy! :rolleyes:

XLFREAK
6th March 2005, 08:36
Got a pic of the exhaust?

HD1200R
6th March 2005, 08:39
Mine always leaked! But its ok and using some sort of heat sealant is very messy! :rolleyes:

Thanks. It'll probably be one more thing that I'll just get used to.

HD1200R
6th March 2005, 08:39
Got a pic of the exhaust?

Here you go!
http://www.hr3rdgen.org/gallery/data/3067/280Project_Sportster_Code_Puzzle_127-med.jpg

Turbota
6th March 2005, 15:20
FiloPedo ....

Not to highjack this thread, but have you recieved your RB Racing 2-1 yet? ... Pics?

XLFREAK
11th July 2005, 06:47
How do you like those V&H SSRs? Are they loud? & can you feel a difference in performance with these pipes?