PDA

View Full Version : wheel free play indicator

opiate9680
23rd August 2006, 02:49
Does anyone know what the name of the tool they show in the OEM owner's manual or the clymer manual for sportsters they use to check for front/rear wheel free play? its like a dial w/ a magnetic base you stick to the rotor or something and it measures the free play of the wheel. Is this tool really even necessary to properly install the rear wheel and keep it aligned? I've been looking for it online and cant find it anywhere.:dunno

cantolina
23rd August 2006, 04:18
Does anyone know what the name of the tool they show in the OEM owner's manual or the clymer manual for sportsters they use to check for front/rear wheel free play? its like a dial w/ a magnetic base you stick to the rotor or something and it measures the free play of the wheel. Is this tool really even necessary to properly install the rear wheel and keep it aligned? I've been looking for it online and cant find it anywhere.:dunno

Unless you have a spoked rim, its totally unnecessary....even then, its only needed to true the wheel

Put the rear wheel on...align the axle centers to the alignment holes with something like the tool shown in the manual (a brake line works GREAT, as its easy to find an o ring that will stay on it tight....), check your belt deflection, and you're all set.....

Once you have the centers set, the adjustment for the belt is done in small increments on BOTH SIDES EQUALLY....when belt is adjusted, recheck centers to be sure....

If you have a spoked rim, and feel it needs truing, you can take it to any M/C shop and have it done pretty cheaply....

a45junkie
23rd August 2006, 04:48
i think he's referring to the bearing play, it's called a dial indicator and they are not real cheap. but also the only real way to check the clearance on the wheel bearings
the mount usually is the expensive part

opiate9680
23rd August 2006, 18:21
i think he's referring to the bearing play, it's called a dial indicator and they are not real cheap. but also the only real way to check the clearance on the wheel bearings
the mount usually is the expensive part

Thats what i was talking about. But if others have gone without using it and are still alive to tell about it, thus having no major problems, then the method Cantolina suggests should be alright. I'm planning on taking the rear wheel off to have a shop put a new tire on it. If they true the wheel, then are you guys saying that there's no need to use the free play dial indicator and all one would have to do from there is just torque it down carefully and correctly?

Cantolina, is the method you described the method you use? if so, couldnt you just use a white coat hanger and insead of using an o-ring just use a sharpie and mark the spot on the coat hanger? and is this a good method after all? i mean even with the o-ring, you may not get the wheel 100% you know. What if its off by like a fraction of a millimeter or something? is there a certain "range" you could fall in and still be ok?