PDA

View Full Version : Baffle Questions

NO COAST CHOPPER
4th March 2005, 03:29
HI I'm new and have learned a lot from everyone (yes I'm getting the round EVO A/C kit) Thanks! My question is I'm getting vance and hines strightshots and I'm wondering if i should keep the baffles in. I would take them out cause i love loud pipes, but a friend has vance pipes( with no baffles) and every time he throtles down to change gears there is a small but noticable gurgling or popping. I want to know if this is due to having no baffles, and how much baffles will dampen the sound

barry1967
4th March 2005, 03:35
Keep your baffles in. You will loose to much low end power without them.

And your welcome for the air cleaner.

Oh, and welcome to the asylum.

willprevale
4th March 2005, 03:39
Baffles will cost low end torque, piss off the neighbors and affect your hearing to name but a few of the inheresnt problems... IMHO
and oh yeah, :welcome to the looney bin!

DLM32
4th March 2005, 12:35
No Coast,

:D I've had two sets of Vance & Hines pipes. Had a set on my 03 1200, and just got a set for my 04. They are plenty loud with the baffles in! Great pipes. Even the blue hairs who can't see past their hood ornament are looking for where the rumble is coming from. Add a good air cleaner and she'll run like a scalded dog!

If the pipes are not loud enough for you, take out the baffles, get your license and registration out, and say "good morning officer!"

By the way, Daytona's good another big ride quiet push for Bike Week. If you are coming down, keep it down and don't cut through residential sections at full volume. Could cost you $$$! Saw a guy on Main Street last year floating the valves at a stop light right in front of one of Daytona's finest. That little act of disrespect cost him! Mr, Dumbass (the b is silent) just couldn't understand why he got a ticket. Dah! :eek:

pquirk
4th March 2005, 12:45
They are plenty loud with the baffles in! Great pipes. Even the blue hairs who can't see past their hood ornament are looking for where the rumble is coming from. Add a good air cleaner and she'll run like a scalded dog!

If the pipes are not loud enough for you, take out the baffles, get your license and registration out, and say "good morning officer!" Ditto. It may be that the new pipes for '04 have a less resrtictive baffle stock than the pre '04s and they're louder out of the box, I'm not sure. I like a nice loud bike as much as the next guy, but I know if the baffles came out of mine I'd have some issues with the Man in my town.

oedius
4th March 2005, 13:52
I bought a set of SE slip-ons about a year ago for my 883/1200 conversion. Previous owner had buddy who worked at muffler shop straighten out the "deflector plate" so that, intead of directing exhaust around the baffles, the exhaust goes through center of baffles. With baffles intact, there should still be enough back pressure. Also, you don't have that raggedy type sound as with no baffles, only a nice deep throaty rumble without being bjectionably loud. :shhhh

Steve