PDA

View Full Version : Route suggestions (?)

XLFREAK
3rd September 2006, 03:32
Hubby and I plan to take off tomorrow morning to go riding (yes, I got my bike back today after going to South Richmond Harley this afternoon and breathing down their necks! :laugh). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone might have some suggestions on where we can go, even if we have to end up staying overnight somewhere tomorrow night. We live in Caroline County (about 30 miles north of Richmond) and, to be honest, I'm getting a little sick of riding central Virginia roads. I love Virginia, don't get me wrong, but there's only so many times you can ride the same roads without getting burnt out... :frownthre

We went to Skyline Drive 2 weeks ago, so that's out, and we've been to Staunton/Harrisonburg/Elkton a zillion times, so that's out, too... Does anyone have a good route they'd care to share? Pretty please?!? :p

gymrat523
3rd September 2006, 03:57
solomons md is a nice ride, 301 north over bridge into maryland, only about 2 hours from you

milmat1
3rd September 2006, 04:23
If you like Interstates head south to NC

Myself I like to find the back roads !!

Might want to watch the weather channel and let them decide !!!

Tuvan
3rd September 2006, 19:01
bah they both have rain suits, and everyone knows rain is good for A) washing the Bike and B) A Shower and also another one i heard C)water cooling the engine :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack

ZanexGt
6th September 2006, 13:44
solomons md is a nice ride, 301 north over bridge into maryland, only about 2 hours from you

I totally agree and it's in my back yard. If you guys end up coming down this way, send me a PM, I'll meet up w/ you.

XLFREAK
6th September 2006, 17:11
I totally agree and it's in my back yard. If you guys end up coming down this way, send me a PM, I'll meet up w/ you.

Thanks for the invite, but when we came through that way, it was raining cats and dogs!

We ended up leaving here Sunday morning (it was misting rain) and heading north. After a couple brief stops in Fredericksburg, we headed toward Gettysburg PA via route 17 to 29 to 15 and then jumped off at route 30 in Gettysburg. Hubby wanted to see the dealership, but since they were closed when we got there, we decided to spend the night and go the next morning.

The weather was gorgeous when we got up Monday morning, and after visiting the dealership in Gettysburg, we took 30E toward York and Lancaster. The dealerships in both places were closed for the holiday, as was the HD plant, so we continued to ride (too many routes to remember), and jumped on 301S toward home. All was well until we crossed the Bay Bridge, and then it started to sprinkle. We stopped, put our rain suits on and continued south. After stopping for dinner in Waldorf, all H%$^ broke loose as far as the weather. It rained like it was coming out of buckets until we crossed the Nice bridge (I call it the "not so" Nice bridge because I'm afraid of heights, but we couldn't see anything anyway, so it was okay! :roflblack ), then it let up a bit and we thought we were going to be okay. After stopping at Wawa on this side of the bridge, the rain cut loose again and we continued our 40mph trek home, stopping once more to clean goggles and such so we could have at least *some* visibility. Speaking of which, what do you all use for anti-fog protection on your goggles, face shields and windshields? I know there has to be something out there that's safe for plastic, and I definitely want to buy some and keep it with us on the bikes!

All in all, it actually was not a bad trip and it wasn't a tragedy or anything to be caught in the rain (as one of my hubby's coworkers would have you believe!). I'm just soooo glad that I used part of the $500 gift card I received when I bought my bike to buy a rain suit! It was definitely worth every penny I paid for it! :laugh

byrdj
7th September 2006, 05:23
You should try Route 5 from richmond to williamsburg. Nice and scenic. Watch out for the cops though, there are a ton of them that hang out there.