PDA

View Full Version : right foot rest..Warning

carl2124
4th September 2006, 00:31
Today I went for a ride up into the north Georgia mountains.During most of my long rides I will sometimes shift my weight or move my ass up by putting my body weight pressure on both my footrests.
Well today during one one of my " body shifts", I felt my right footrest come loose.I stopped at an autozone and picked up some allen wrenches to tighten up to what I thought was loose bolts on my brake/footrest support...but hell no...the top allen bolt was sheared off and the bottom wont tighten up or come out...I got a feeling that it has stripped out... and will need a helicoil kit that I will no doubt be putting one in.I weigh only 180 lbs at 5 9 ...expected better bolt strength than that.
I had to strap up my right brake pedal/footrest assembly and carefully use my front brake to get home...So don't do as I did or you will get "-I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!-:censor "

streetshooter
4th September 2006, 02:41
something else to pay attention to is....that the footrest goes into the case...it's like white metal and can break very easy.....I found that out the hard way a few times and the last accident....completely broke the case where the pedal goes in.....of course then the adjuster for the master cylinder goes too....ansd then.....

XLFREAK
4th September 2006, 02:53
Thanks for the heads up.

mikekj
4th September 2006, 03:02
Are they center pegs, or forward controls?

Scooter_Trash
4th September 2006, 04:50
Yup, I broke a right footpeg just the other week. You have know idea how hard it is to find female footpegs. Of course the dealer is telling me that I'm wrong and my bike takes male pegs. The new HD mantra "the customer knows nothing and the parts manual is always right."

XL O.C.D.
4th September 2006, 04:59
Hmm... I know the brackets are made from cheap metal, but it surprises me that you had that problem. My bike fell on it's side on a trailer (thank God it didn't fall OFF the trailer), and when it fell the right forward control bracket bent, but didn't break. I was able to bend it back down and haven't had any problems - but now I've got something to pay attention to.

carl2124
4th September 2006, 07:11
Are they center pegs, or forward controls?
Mine are forward controls....

carl2124
4th September 2006, 07:16
something else to pay attention to is....that the footrest goes into the case...it's like white metal and can break very easy.....I found that out the hard way a few times and the last accident....completely broke the case where the pedal goes in.....of course then the adjuster for the master cylinder goes too....ansd then.....
Did you tap the hole or use a helicoil??

streetshooter
4th September 2006, 11:54
Did you tap the hole or use a helicoil??

the case has to be replaced..I actually put a new chrome one on...not a hard job but it shattered my illusions about how rock solid my bike was.....

dagsportster
4th September 2006, 12:43
Well today during one one of my " body shifts", I felt my right footrest come loose.

Wow, that's something to check out. I frequently pull on the bars and lift up to de-weight (not that easy with forward controls), so the stress to the pegs is more lateral than vertical.

Did you ever do any monkeying with the brackets or are they totally as they were when you bought the bike? Is it still under warranty?

carl2124
4th September 2006, 15:46
Wow, that's something to check out. I frequently pull on the bars and lift up to de-weight (not that easy with forward controls), so the stress to the pegs is more lateral than vertical.

Did you ever do any monkeying with the brackets or are they totally as they were when you bought the bike? Is it still under warranty?
We are still factory on the footrest....the manual calls for a 3/8-16 x 1-1/8 hex socket (grade 8)....also on the 05 1200xl the footrest/brake pedal footrest goes to the frame and not the engine.... I am going to call the dealer to see if they will cover it under my 2 year factory warranty which is going to run out in October.