PDA

View Full Version : Edelbrock vs S&S vs Mikuni (40mm)

Kwest187
2nd December 2008, 01:10
So the title tells it...(40mm)
I'm looking for pros, cons-who has run which and how they performed-
what I'm going to be running it on is-
A 1993-883/1200 conversion using Edelbrock heads
Cams...either the ones that come in the Edelbrock RPM performance kit or N8's
Vance and Hines straight shots...or something very similar

Honestly It will take some persuassion to move me away from the Edelbrock carb, I like the internal design the best, the price is nice, and its a company long known for its quality carbs...but I'm doing the research for a reason...
thanks to all who chime in-
Good points will receive rep points for those who care-

also info on thunderjets for the Eldelbrock helpful

biknut
2nd December 2008, 04:28
I'd go with a S&S Super E equipped with a ThunderJet. It's the most popular carb for a reason. It works great, looks great, is easy to tune, easy to get parts for, and has a light throttle pull.

Mikuni's from what I've heard work well, if you don't mind a great big ugly Japanese carb hangin off the side of your bike. In comparison to a S&S they have a heavy pull and aren't as easy to tune.

On the other hand out of 50 thousand Harley's I've seen, not one of them had a Edelbrock carb on it. I've never read anything bad about one, but nobody has one??? Why?

aswracing
2nd December 2008, 14:12
I have experience with Mikuni's, S&S, Quicksilvers, and CV's.

I'd rank them:

Mikuni (by a mile)
CV
S&S
Quicksilver

The Mikuni 42/45/48works extremely well right out of the box, has lots of adjustments, can support plenty of power, has instantaneous throttle response, and gets terrific gas mileage. It's also easy to get nice flat a/f curves (unless you have some kind of a pipe reversion issue going on, no carb can really deal with that).

The CV is pretty good, but the throttle response isn't nearly as good as the Mik. Also since they have the float vent in the intake stream (for altitude compensation), they can be super sensitive to turbulence in the intake tract. The 40mm isn't good for much more than about 90-95hp, above that it's really tough to make more, it's really choking the engine. The 44 can support more, but in my experience, it's even more sensitive to the float vent issues.

The S&S is a really crude carburetor. Take one apart sometime, it looks like something someone made in his garage. Flat a/f curves are elusive and they rarely deliver good fuel mileage. It's just a crude carb. I use them on my race bikes, where all that matters is delivering air and fuel at WFO. I wouldn't use one on a street bike.

The Quicksilver is a piece of crap. No other way to put it. Spend some time on a dyno trying to make one work, and make power with it, you'll understand.

steelworker
2nd December 2008, 14:49
The only two I've had experience with are the CV (jetted) and the Mikuni.

The difference in throttle response is unbelievable - my bike takes off like a scalded cat with the Mikuni fitted. I don't find the Mikuni to have a harder pull than the CV. After some headwork and lumpier cams, I feel the Mikuni is also helping to add horsepower at the top end.

I like the look of S&S carbs, but they're old technology. Any carb to which you need to add additional external jets for it to give the right mixture at all throttle openings must be fundamentally flawed.

As for the Edelbrock, they look nice, but I've never heard a good word about them except from people who are trying to sell them. I've only ever seen one bike on the street with an Edelbrock fitted.

Kwest187
2nd December 2008, 20:15
ok...some good stuff here...a bit hard to swallow...but that is what I wanted before I went and spent a lot moola.
I'm about to do some more extensive Mikuni carb research...but in my own defense...here is a page I found that really got me thinking about the Edelbrock Carb...am I that gullible or does the design seem to make sense? LINKhttp://www.edelbrock.com/motorcycle/carbs/intro2.shtml
http://www.edelbrock.com/motorcycle/carbs/intro2.shtml

Texassporty06
2nd December 2008, 20:37
Hmmm I see what you mean, but my 06 sporty has the same design with the stock CV, I have owned a 87 Sportster and had a Mikuni 40mm on it and absolutley loved it... like the gentleman said before has a crisp throttle response... and I like a crisp throttle response my CV on mine now doesnt have it... as a matter of fact it has a nasty cough sometimes. I never had that with my Mikuni, and I will more than likely buy another Mikuni as soon as money allows. Just mytwo pennies

Kwest187
2nd December 2008, 20:45
Ok...Mikuni Carbs...What Size HSR (40,42,45) for the 1200 with the best heads I can find or make? Will be using N8 cams unless directed otherwise-
And use SE selectable Ig. mod with Single fire...will set rev limit at 6500 or 7000
Results are all I listen to...thanks guys
Now...What about the Edelbrock Heads....THe D-shape porting screams performance to me...but apparently I can be wrong-the heads are 74cc...pretty sure

Kwest187
2nd December 2008, 21:52
Here is the carb kit I found that looks like it will be the best fit for me...or wil it? I have a 1993 the Kit says its for a 94-2004...I would have to beLIEve that it will fit a 93...who's with me on this one?
http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/MIKUNI_HSR42-10_CARBURETOR_EAS_P9782C786.cfm

steelworker
3rd December 2008, 09:53
Here is the carb kit I found that looks like it will be the best fit for me...or wil it? I have a 1993 the Kit says its for a 94-2004...I would have to beLIEve that it will fit a 93...who's with me on this one?
http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/MIKUNI_HSR42-10_CARBURETOR_EAS_P9782C786.cfm

That's the kit to have, but I bought mine from Dynoman (http://www.dynoman.net/carb/mikuniHSR.html). He's currently selling Easy Kits at between $295 and $395. I had good, prompt service from him.

steelworker
3rd December 2008, 10:02
Ok...Mikuni Carbs...What Size HSR (40,42,45) for the 1200 with the best heads I can find or make? Will be using N8 cams unless directed otherwise-
And use SE selectable Ig. mod with Single fire...will set rev limit at 6500 or 7000
Results are all I listen to

Check my gallery for hp & torque figures with twin-plugged stage 2 light (NRHS) XB heads, HSR42, N4 cams and Supertrapp 2-1.

A decent exhaust system is a must if you're looking for useable power.

I have no idea how Edelbrock heads perform.

RIORoosen
3rd December 2008, 12:39
After reading countless tales of "what a difference a Mikuni makes" I went ahead and bought the Harley SE Mikuni 42. Have yet to instal it...but have found that Forum members are seldom wrong! (only when they disagree with me!!):doh
:xlrocks

66xlch
4th December 2008, 19:09
+1 for NSWRACING! The cv is a good carb, and on a milder motor it's way better than an S&S and way, way better then an Edelbrock! The Mikuni is about as close to fuel injection as you're gonna get with a carb. Carbs are all compromises, and the simpler they are the worse the compromise. The advantage to a CV is it cannot overcarb. It only injests the air needed. It will compensate to some degree for altitude changes, because of this. A carb not mentioned is Carls Bufoon (I'm sorry, Typhoon). This was a rip-off of early SUs. I worked at Carls when he first developed it. They never worked well, and yet he made a mint off of them because they looked so cool! These were huge, 51 mm extra simple CV carbs, with just one circuit. The problem is when you remove circuits you lose accuracy. A year after they came out, every shop around here had used Typhoons for a couple hundred bucks. They were just too simple to work well. That is the problem with S&S carbs. They have a horrible flat transition, and no amount of tuning will eradicate it. The Thunderjet helps some, but it's rare to get one tuned well. Mikuni's work excellent, are easy to tune, and have ability to tune out small imperfections in the fuel curve that most all others lack. I really want to try out a Kiehin FCR, as they look similarly equiped. I just don't like to try new stuff on my customers bikes, and have Mikunis on all of my bikes already ( except my ironheads, they all get CV's.)

jharback
4th December 2008, 19:16
I'd go with a S&S Super E equipped with a ThunderJet. It's the most popular carb for a reason. It works great, looks great, is easy to tune, easy to get parts for, and has a light throttle pull.

Mikuni's from what I've heard work well, if you don't mind a great big ugly Japanese carb hangin off the side of your bike. In comparison to a S&S they have a heavy pull and aren't as easy to tune.

On the other hand out of 50 thousand Harley's I've seen, not one of them had a Edelbrock carb on it. I've never read anything bad about one, but nobody has one??? Why?

+1
I totally agree! It just plain works and is easy to setup and tune.

maru
8th December 2008, 00:19
The Keihin fcr is much like the Mikuni except even more complex. It has become the carb of choice in the four stroke dirtbike world, pretty much every oem uses them for mx bikes. Every time Aarron responds to a question, I learn something. It is rare that a guy that sharp is willing to share that much info. Steve

rottenralph
8th December 2008, 00:44
If you want to hear some rough comments ask Dan about his oppinion on Edelbrock heads. He thinks they are as bad as the carbs. Just a thought, read his review on edelbrock heads before you buy. I would get thunderstorm or XB heads f I were you, otherwise spend your money on porting. The Dakota Kid Carb rework is 350 bucks so I would have to know someone with one I could try before I plunked down enough to buy a new Mik.