PDA

View Full Version : Heres an ironhead even I would like.

rottenralph
5th March 2005, 04:09
No offense guys but I love my evo. I saw this clean ironhead and thought you might like to see how nice they can look when every detail is taken care of.
http://www.clubchopper.com/photopost/data/500/3032sportster_one-med.JPG

flathead45
5th March 2005, 04:12
ok ralph , tell me your joking when ya say shovelhead after alleydudes thread you can't expect us to believe you think this is a shovel

74FeHeadXLH
5th March 2005, 04:15
One clean Ironhead....I like it !!!

barry1967
5th March 2005, 04:17
ok ralph , tell me your joking when ya say shovelhead after alleydudes thread you can't expect us to believe you think this is a shovel

I was thinking the same thing flatty

rottenralph
5th March 2005, 04:22
I have no ffffing idea what you are talking about. It looks like a shovel to me. Or the valve covers, oil tank, drum brake and the heads have been modified to look like a shovel. So tell me what the heck you are talking about. If it is not a shovel head then I will call it an ironhead. if that is what you mean. And I have no idea what alley dudes thread contains. I don't pay all that much attention to ironhead threads. Just not my area of interest.

flathead45
5th March 2005, 04:27
thats a ironhead , by the looks of it I'd say about 73 , maybe 74 (note the right side shifter and notched heads)

74FeHeadXLH
5th March 2005, 04:30
Round 2...Shovel vs. Iron Odds 10:1

rottenralph
5th March 2005, 04:31
So, are you saying the shovel shape of a sporty from the shovel era is not a shovel head. Then I must be a blockhead. Who cares. I surely don't. Its a nice bike if I called it a old thingy. Name is not important to me. I like it and I will call it an ironshovelhead from now on if it is ok with you.

flathead45
5th March 2005, 04:37
not trying to argue here but .....

the old 900cc sportys have a shovel like head but nothing will interchange between the two in 71 they changed the rocker boxes to the notched style (still 900cc ) in 72 they went to 1000cc and kept the notched style boxes like the ones in your pic

interesting note tho, you can put shovel barrels and heads on a sporty with a few mods to the parts . makes a killer motor that just screams down the dragstrip

74FeHeadXLH
5th March 2005, 04:56
interesting note tho, you can put shovel barrels and heads on a sporty with a few mods to the parts . makes a killer motor that just screams down the dragstrip
Would'nt mind hearing the specifics on that idea....sounds very interesting, once I get the new Sporty....My Iron might go under some serious mods

Fisherman
5th March 2005, 05:33
:smoke Very good idea flathead45. I would be very interested in more info on this. After this is done, how's the everyday rider reliabity factor??

Takingabreak
5th March 2005, 06:15
Personally, I think it is a very nice bike....no matter what the heck model it is.

PlanB
5th March 2005, 07:35
I never tire of seeing quality restorations or customizations like this, Ralph...keep 'em coming...I don't seem to be able to catch bike shows so I can actually see them...I'd love to add something like this to my fleet!

dwardy
5th March 2005, 13:52
Wow. Beautiful bike.

75oldschool
5th March 2005, 14:08
man i like that bike!ironshovelheadsportsterevo????it don't mater!just get on that bad motor scooder and ride:tour peace out

missyd
5th March 2005, 16:32
Sorry folks ... not my style ... too much chrome ... too cluttered ... strange tank and seat .... :frownthre :frownthre :frownthre

PS: Just my personal opinion ... ;)

flathead45
5th March 2005, 16:44
I haven't done it but I have seen it done , also seen a sporty with the trany cut off and a bt four speed ,three inch belt drive primary, and panhead topend that was kool

from what I heard you need to grind off some fins on the barrels so the pushrod tubes clear, bore the case, and machine the rockerboxes to get the right angle for the tubes to seat flat (probably need adjustable pushrods to get the right length)

there was even a knucklehead sporty in an old easyriders once

SalTheWop
5th March 2005, 17:11
That bike is a beauty.

RedRider
5th March 2005, 17:26
No offense guys but I love my evo. I saw this clean ironhead and thought you might like to see how nice they can look when every detail is taken care of.
http://www.clubchopper.com/photopost/data/500/3032sportster_one-med.JPG

Wow! Nice & pretty with lotsa chrome, just like Flathead's scoot..... :yikes :shhhh

HrdlyDangrs
5th March 2005, 17:46
Pansters, Shovsters, Knucksters...all great looking motors when you do them right. And all require mods to the cases for mating the B/T cylinder to the Sportster bottom end.

Used to see them often in the magazine like Easy Rider, Iron Horse from the early Seventies. These bikes would kick ass on the street against the B/T and the sound was fantastic as I seen and heard a couple bikes over the years.

A little notching of the B/T fins is required for the four independent Sportster push rods to clear. Also, opening up the Sportsters cases spigots for the B/T cylinders, plus I believe you had to weld the Sportster cases cylinder mounting holes and redrill for the B/T cylinder holes. other then B/T pistons and rings, I can't tell you what bottom end mods are required.

I have some pics somewhere and some specs too. I'll see if I can find them.

HHmmmm....now you guys got me thinking....My 74 XLCH and a B/T Shovel Top End, throw in a couple HP mods and add a hardtail weld on rear frame section....wide glide Springer....21" Avon front tire.....$$$$$$$$$$$...WOW!! :geek COOL

alleydude
5th March 2005, 17:53
:madhead :headb :smiliesig :nocomment

Broncodog
5th March 2005, 18:12
Wow! Nice & pretty with lotsa chrome, just like Flathead's scoot..... :yikes :shhhh
:smiliesig :smiliesig :smiliesig :smiliesig :smiliesig :smiliesig :smiliesig :smiliesig :smiliesig :smiliesig :smiliesig :smiliesig :smiliesig :smiliesig :spineyes

HrdlyDangrs
5th March 2005, 18:23
Oh yeah...got off track...the bikes has a bit too much Chrome for my taste...and by the way Missy...that's the early B/T 'Superglide' Style gas tank also known as a 'Sportster Roadster' tank.

IMO...the gas tank looks great, but I would shitcan the solo seat springs and let the seat lay flat on the frame.......also move the 'P-Pad' forward another 2" and shitcan the front fender and go with a full stock fender...will make the bike appear longer and enhance the look of the Superglide tank....also the tank panels are begging for a nice HD decal or original paint work...also the pull back handlebars are ugly and look out of place for the bike..straight riser with Drags or a nice set of standard 3" bars....not the buckhorns tho....Still a nice looking scoot.....to each his own!!

alleydude
5th March 2005, 18:35
Oh yeah...got off track...the bikes has a bit too much Chrome for my taste...and by the way Missy...that's the early B/T 'Superglide' Style gas tank also known as a 'Sportster Roadster' tank.

Yup, that's the tank I got on my bike.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/2/932Fall-002-med.jpg

I agree, too much flash and clutter on that bike at the beginning of the thread.

rottenralph
5th March 2005, 18:55
Missyd, I can't believe I have ever heard you say you like a bike other than your own. I guess thats the way it is supposed to be. I don't like yours by the way and I am sure mine does not appeal to you either. Das soll ein witz sein aber das muessen die anderen nicht wissen. Viel spass in den Alpen. Ich bin ein parr mal durchgefahren auf dem weg nach Italian.