PDA

View Full Version : Metzeler 880 Front Tire Tread Pattern

Fastfwd01
6th December 2008, 01:29
I saw somebody else ask this same question in an old thread, but there was no answer. I bought a set of Metzeler 880s this week and had them installed today. I thought they had installed the front tire backward, but saw that it is mounted according to the sidewall tire rotation arrows. What’s up with the backward tread? How does it channel water like that?

I see now that the Metzeler website clearly shows the front tire with the backward looking tread pattern.

unfiguroutable
6th December 2008, 02:07
it has to due with the relationship of the tread pattern relative to the direction of travel and the fact the rear wheel pushes and the front wheel rolls due to friction "drag". if the front wheel was mounted the same as the back it would not channel water away fron the tire in a turn but instead plow it in front of the tire and cuase the bike to hydroplane

radeschultz
6th December 2008, 02:10
I thought the same thing when I had mine installed, and asked myself the same question about water channeling. I'd be interested in hearing the answer, but what is readily apparent to me is that it works great, wet or dry, so never bothered to ask about it...

Weo
6th December 2008, 04:38
I could be wrong, but I thought it was because the major torque on the front tire comes from braking. Since the major torque on the rear tire is opposite (acceleration) the tread pattern is opposite. Not sure if thats right or not though.

Quay
6th December 2008, 05:30
I think it is a little of both - channeling water most efficiently and the ability to apply that usable torque. Also, the back tire rides in a drier path laid laid down by the front, so it does not require the same degree of water drainage the front does.

Weo
6th December 2008, 06:51
I think it is a little of both - channeling water most efficiently and the ability to apply that usable torque. Also, the back tire rides in a drier path laid laid down by the front, so it does not require the same degree of water drainage the front does.

Unless you're turning.

OutlawTexan67
6th December 2008, 12:42
Well I dont know exactly how it works,but I have been running the 880's on My Ironhead now for 2 years and love them!!!!Wouldnt change brands for any thing!!!

Urrell
6th December 2008, 13:21
I could be wrong, but I thought it was because the major torque on the front tire comes from braking. Since the major torque on the rear tire is opposite (acceleration) the tread pattern is opposite. Not sure if thats right or not though.

+1 ;) ;) ;)

misterT
6th December 2008, 14:35
I just finished putting them on mine unfortunately it is snowing and the roads are covered with ice... tire chains maybe... maybe not.

xena
6th December 2008, 15:48
Well I dont know exactly how it works,but I have been running the 880's on My Ironhead now for 2 years and love them!!!!Wouldnt change brands for any thing!!!

Me too! This summer I learned they are spectacular on wet roads!

OutlawTexan67
6th December 2008, 16:29
Me too! This summer I learned they are spectacular on wet roads!

Wet or dry roads they work great and last pretty long to!!!