PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Connectors Need Help Fast!

Bar
14th September 2006, 21:01
Could some one with a service manual 04-07, please take a look at the AMP MULTILOCK ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR section and tell me how to remove the wires from the terminal in the turn signal connector. I know you probably need a special tool and I know that I need to purchase a Service Manual, But right now I'm in a jam and need help. Iread that some have used a tiny screw driver or safety pin to remove and I have both. Unfortunately, I don't even know which end to even try.

Thanks.

Folkie
14th September 2006, 23:34
You're talking about the connector on the end of the two wires from a turn signal, that plugs into a socket inside the tail light? You don't need the special tool (Snap-On TT600-3), that's only any use with the larger multi way connectors.

You need to get a small very thin bladed screwdriver, like the smallest one in one of those sets of instrument pattern screwdrivers (watchmakers or jewelers screwdrivers), of maybe a needle would do the job.

The first thing you need to do is to open the lock on the end where the wires come out. There are a couple of latches, one either side, which need to be eased outwards, and then the lock pivots up. You may be able to get a thumb nail under the latch to ease it out, or use the small screwdriver.

Then you need to look at the end opposite where the wires come out. Hold the connector with the metal contact parts at the bottom. You'll see there's an open area above where the metal contacts are. You need to slide your screwdriver or needle in along the top of the metal contact and under the plastic latch inside holding the wire in. This may take a few goes to get it right. When you do, you feel that you've pushed the screwdriver up against something, then push a bit more, angling the tip down against the metal contact, and you feel the latch lift up. When this happens, gently pull on the wire from the other end, and it slides out.

You don't need to push the screwdriver hard, it's more a matter of getting the tip down against the metal contact and getting the right angle. Definitely don't pull the wire hard. In fact don't pull the wire until you've felt the latch lift, or your pulling could be holding the latch, and the metal contact on the end of the wire, in position.

I hope you can make some sense of this? It's a lot easier to do than to describe. If you're still not sure, try to get a look at a service manual, the pictures in there make it a whole lot clearer.

Bar
15th September 2006, 17:21
Thanks Folkie, Fortunately I had figured it out prior to your response. However your instructions were right on. I could not have explained it any better than your description. I truly appreciate your time and response. Hopefully your instructions will help someone else in need.

Using a safety pin worked better for me than the tiny screwdriver.

Many thanks,

Bar

Sporting Lad
9th June 2012, 09:07
Hey Nigel, you arrived in the nick of time! Actually it was over six years earlier than I needed you, but when I came up against these silly little connectors this evening, I conducted a search and there you were with these 'timely' tips! :D I fiddle-pharted around with those connectors for the front turn signals until I was nearly ready to bring out the holy hand grenade. Or at least the wire chompers. But before I did, I reread your post and studied the FSM one more time, went back at it with renewed vigour and perseverance... et voila! Say posseeblee!! :banadanc The wires surrendered to some gentler persuasion and came out nicely, one by one. Sometimes patience really is a virtue!
So..."Thx from the future!" :geek:geek

You're talking about the connector on the end of the two wires from a turn signal, that plugs into a socket inside the tail light? You don't need the special tool (Snap-On TT600-3), that's only any use with the larger multi way connectors.

You need to get a small very thin bladed screwdriver, like the smallest one in one of those sets of instrument pattern screwdrivers (watchmakers or jewelers screwdrivers), of maybe a needle would do the job.

The first thing you need to do is to open the lock on the end where the wires come out. There are a couple of latches, one either side, which need to be eased outwards, and then the lock pivots up. You may be able to get a thumb nail under the latch to ease it out, or use the small screwdriver.

Then you need to look at the end opposite where the wires come out. Hold the connector with the metal contact parts at the bottom. You'll see there's an open area above where the metal contacts are. You need to slide your screwdriver or needle in along the top of the metal contact and under the plastic latch inside holding the wire in. This may take a few goes to get it right. When you do, you feel that you've pushed the screwdriver up against something, then push a bit more, angling the tip down against the metal contact, and you feel the latch lift up. When this happens, gently pull on the wire from the other end, and it slides out.

You don't need to push the screwdriver hard, it's more a matter of getting the tip down against the metal contact and getting the right angle. Definitely don't pull the wire hard. In fact don't pull the wire until you've felt the latch lift, or your pulling could be holding the latch, and the metal contact on the end of the wire, in position.

I hope you can make some sense of this? It's a lot easier to do than to describe. If you're still not sure, try to get a look at a service manual, the pictures in there make it a whole lot clearer.

Folkie
9th June 2012, 11:46
Glad to have been of help.