PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermount oil leak poll...

MacDuff
6th March 2005, 15:28
Do any other Rubbermounts leak oil or is it just my bike?

Purchased a NEW '04 1200R model in February this year. The weather was cold but clear last weekend so I rode 4 miles to the gas station and topped it off. When I put the bike away I noticed a couple drops of oil. I assumed that I missed the hole slightly when I added some oil before the ride.

Yesterday I rode the bike about 12 miles. When I parked it there was a small puddle starting to form under the bike. :censor The oil level was exactly at mid point on the stick and the outside of the oil tank looks dry but there were lots of drips hanging on the bottom of the frame. I used my flashlight to look and found oil sitting on top of the engine case behind the rear cyclinder. There is an oil fitting there that connects to an oil tank hose. It is under the starter naturally. Glad it is under warranty but :censor. You would think after a 100 years they could figure this out. I can't belive it got out of the plant with a leak like this. It only has 20 miles on it.

I bought the bike early in the year so I could ride as soon as the weather cleared. Now it may be sitting at the dealer when the weather clears.

I have been dreaming of buying a new Harley for a couple years. I could have purchase a used Sportster cheap that had a small leak that needed fixed. Now I am rethinking my decision.

I put 10,000 miles on a used Suzuki that never left a drop of oil anywhere. Hope no one minds my venting. Thanks for listening.

NO COAST CHOPPER
6th March 2005, 15:35
sorry macduff, i also have an 2004 sporty. i have never had any problems with oil leaking though. but be glad it is under warranty, oil leaks from bad gaskets or connections is not uncommon on any brand of bike. the worst part is though it is going to be near 60 today and tomorrow in indy and your bike is at the stealer's. better luck tomorrow.

jwb47
6th March 2005, 15:38
I bought a new dodge pick-up and had the transmission go out in less than 300 miles . stuff happened after they fixed it I put 110,000 miles on the truck with out incident and it was running good when I traded. dont worry they will fix your bike and have you on the road in no time

alleydude
6th March 2005, 15:44
Not a drop.

chevypowered
6th March 2005, 15:47
My front head gasket started leaking around 19,000 miles.Which was replaced much to my surprise in two days along with the base gasket.But nothing from any of the places you would expect.

collinsb
6th March 2005, 15:49
Hi MacDuff,
It's my belief that when you topped it off, you really overfilled it. When the bike sits for an extended period, your oil tank oil may settle or drain down a bit into the lower portion of the engine. I feel the best check for oil level is when it is warm!
Billy

sportymark
6th March 2005, 16:07
mY 04 1200R doesen't leak oil and I don't remember any recent threads about oil leaks on the 04/05's.

Just a quick question, why were you topping the oil up on a brand new bike?

Krayven Sumhead
6th March 2005, 16:11
I agree with collinsb. You probably overfilled the oil tank. The dipstick on my '05 1200C sez it's low as it sits in my cold garage, but when I put it away for the winter, I know it wuz full.

xl1200r
6th March 2005, 16:25
same here...no leaks. My dipstick will read at the very top after I rode if for 20 or 30 minutes, but the bext morning it will be somewhere around 1/3 or 1/2 way up. You really shouldn't ever check the oil cold, unless you just want to see if anything's in there.

Kath
6th March 2005, 16:26
I haven't had any leaking of oil and to be honest, I haven't even checked my level. I had the 1st service done at 1,500 miles and they said all was well. Its been almost 1,500 miles since then. I don't plan to take it back in until its 5,000 mile service. I guess I should check the level before waiting until then though.

The only thing I get is some black dust on the left side where the, I guess, shifter rod connection or whatever it is, goes into the side case.

RedRider
6th March 2005, 16:46
My '04 has not leaked any oil since I bought it.

You might be overfilling the oil tank. I maintain the oil level halfway up on the dipstick, between add & full. Also, check the level while the bike is on the jiffy stand, not straight up.

bubbahog
6th March 2005, 16:51
I do believe that when he said "topped it off," he was talking about the gas, not the oil.

The only oil my '04 has leaked is when I - yes - overfilled the oil by a huge amount.

Sucks that yours is leaking - yea, ask the stealership. See what they say.

roderash
6th March 2005, 16:54
2004 1200r, 1250 miles
I've got a small leak on rear cylinder, i think it's the rocker box gasket.
no drips but it does get wet in that area.
taking it to the dealer for warranty service once the weather gets better here,
probably april or may the way it's goin right now :eek:

harleymanjay04
6th March 2005, 17:09
sorry guys there was a discusion a while back about the 04's leaking oil out of the sending unit.thats where mine was leaking and the crooks fixed it with no issues.i had oil drops hanging down from the front tubes.i don't think they put a bullitin up b/c not enough people complained about.but mine is fine now.try this thread.

http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1076&highlight=leak

XLFREAK
6th March 2005, 19:10
Nope, so far, so good.

Phil R
6th March 2005, 20:35
The day after I picked up my new bike, I noticed an oil drip...back to the dealer. It turned out to be a plug in the front of the transmission case that was cross threaded from the factory. They were able to get the plug out but had to disconnect the engine and swing it out to clean up the threads before replacing the plug. The plug is directly behind the frame tube. Almost ruined a great weekend!

nvlarry
6th March 2005, 20:46
After getting a bunch of crap from my non harley rider coworkers about harleys leaking etc. I bought an 04 Roadster,,the dealer delivered it because it was December and rode it into my garage,, 5 minutes after he left I noticed oil drops on the garage floor. I could hear em laughing at work already,,turned out the plug for the oil pressure testing was only in hand tight so a quick turn of the wrench fixed it,,,no leaks since and no complaints,,,and my coworker with the Honda put a fake air filter cover on his bike so it would have the "Harley look" and the yamaha rider never takes his out of his garage

MacDuff
6th March 2005, 20:58
Glad to hear most people are having better luck than I am. I was starting to think about another bike that starts with "H".

Just a quick question, why were you topping the oil up on a brand new bike?

Good question. Hard to belive the oil level was below the dipstick when I did my pre-ride inspection for the first ride last weekend. You could see the oil but none on the stick. I assumed the oil had moved down into the engine while sitting at the dealer. I warmed up the bike and rode about 2 miles. When I stopped at home to recheck the oil it was at the same level. I added almost a quart to get it to middle of the stick. (yes it was on the side stand) I may have dribbled some between the side cover and the oil tank but it is not over full. Even if it were over full, I don't think it would be pumping it out on the ground in a puddle like this.

I wish it was over filled as that would be easy to correct. Thanks again for listening.

billib
6th March 2005, 21:34
6700 miles, only leak i had was when the oring came off reinstalling the primary cover, self inflicted.

arby
6th March 2005, 22:20
I had a small leak from the sending unit by the oil filter. After replacing that I have had no trouble.

crackers
6th March 2005, 23:48
i had the oring in the starter motor cut to shreads by metal shavings from the starter assembly. now fixed and all is good.

cheers
crackers

FlyBorchetti
7th March 2005, 14:18
I had a small leak coming from the oil pressure sensor. Took it to the dealer and they tightened it up. It was good for a month or so, but it's leaking again. Just a few drops here and there. Gonna take it back and have them replace the sensor this time. Other than that the bike has been awesome (knock on wood).

Cheers
Fly

bubbahog
7th March 2005, 16:38
Glad to hear most people are having better luck than I am. I was starting to think about another bike that starts with "H".

No! Don't do it!

Good question. Hard to belive the oil level was below the dipstick when I did my pre-ride inspection for the first ride last weekend. You could see the oil but none on the stick. I assumed the oil had moved down into the engine while sitting at the dealer. I warmed up the bike and rode about 2 miles. When I stopped at home to recheck the oil it was at the same level. I added almost a quart to get it to middle of the stick. (yes it was on the side stand) I may have dribbled some between the side cover and the oil tank but it is not over full. Even if it were over full, I don't think it would be pumping it out on the ground in a puddle like this.

I wish it was over filled as that would be easy to correct. Thanks again for listening.

Seems like 2 miles wouldn't be enough to get her really warmed up - but I'm not sure, either. You don't mention if you already knew this, but it's normal for the oil to not reach, or barely reach, the dipstick on a cold bike.

Let us know how it pans out...

Slinkee
7th March 2005, 19:24
My '05 1200R hit 1000 miles yesterday. Hope to drop it off this afternoon for the 1st service. No leaks yet - knock on wood and cross my fingers.

MacDuff
7th March 2005, 20:38
Seems like 2 miles wouldn't be enough to get her really warmed up - but I'm not sure, either. You don't mention if you already knew this, but it's normal for the oil to not reach, or barely reach, the dipstick on a cold bike.

Let us know how it pans out...

Warming it up then riding 2 miles should get the oil from the engine into the oil tank.

UPDATE...

I think the black rubber tube behind the rear cyclinder is the Tranny vent. The Service Mgr said he has seen Sportsters engines that have the engine oil transfer to the transmition internally. Assuming that HD put the correct amount of oil in when new, that would explain where the original oil went.

I was going to check the tranny oil to see if it were excessively over full but I think I will leave it for the experts. The dealer said to bring it in tonight. I was expecting need an appointment.

I'll keep you posted.

XLFREAK
8th March 2005, 00:45
Mine leaks oil at the front "sending" unit, got 5000 miles and will have it fixed on the service which is now due @ $240.00................

MossBeachHD
9th March 2005, 18:56
Mine hasn't leaked a drop yet.

TNsportster
9th March 2005, 20:27
Had a squirting oil leak on start-up from the oil sending unit. Replaced it and all's well.

(knocking on wood)

lava red rob
10th March 2005, 07:12
My '04 is dry as a bone,but a guy who rode his 1200c home the same day as me had so many oil leak problems he traded his back in!! He had it back 4or 5 times. It leaked around the rear cylinder somewhere. After new gaskets, rockerboxes etc. they finally found a hairline crack in the rear head and replaced it but the summer was about over by then. He chickened out and bought a dyna.

Krayven Sumhead
10th March 2005, 17:19
Every time I come to this thread and read it, I go out and check my bike for leaks.

XLFREAK
18th March 2005, 18:48
My bike is brand new (05 Custom Sporty 1200) and when it is cold the oil level reads low but when I fire her up and let it warm up a bit, she reads full.

I'm a stickler for checking my oil before every ride even though it's full. Just the way I'am and it's a good thing. Never want to be to low or be overfilled.

Check the oil warm before heading out and you will be fine. You probably overfilled it.

DLM32
18th March 2005, 19:43
My 04 Custom developed a slight leak at the front of the engine just after I picked it up. Dealership changed out the oil pressure sending unit at the first service. No more leaks! Apparently a common enough problem, that the dealership knew right where to look, to fix it. :frownthre

Later,

mountbkr
18th March 2005, 20:02
Sporster are suppose to leak they 're just marking there territory. :laugh

eagle101
21st March 2005, 03:38
Not a drop at 5K miles.

GRAYFEATHER
21st March 2005, 03:48
Not a drop 6000ks

Grayfeather.

harleymanjay04
21st March 2005, 04:33
mine hasn't leaked since the repair.

Mountainrun
21st March 2005, 05:10
2049 mi. No leaks

Jt1200r
21st March 2005, 14:16
almost 5000 miles no leaks

04 1200r

raydog
22nd March 2005, 03:07
mine has never leaked but it was a quart low the first time i checked it and the motor was hot at tthe time.

jpj2004xl1200r
24th March 2005, 03:03
Mine has leaker from both front and rear cylinder rocker covers since day one. I now have about 5000 miles on it and my next trip to the dealer will be the fourth to solve the problem - they told me this time they will start replacing parts like the rocker box and the covers instead of just putting another gasket in - about time.

PS - also had the problem with the oil pressure sensor leaking but that was fixed on the first go-round.

The rocker cover leaks appear to be rare, but they are a real pain.

John
2004 XL1200R
2003 Boneeville T100

Broncodog
24th March 2005, 03:06
I'm at just over 9,000 and no problems.............yet ;)

Chalee Mai Dee
24th March 2005, 03:43
Warming it up then riding 2 miles should get the oil from the engine into the oil tank.

UPDATE...

I think the black rubber tube behind the rear cyclinder is the Tranny vent. The Service Mgr said he has seen Sportsters engines that have the engine oil transfer to the transmition internally. Assuming that HD put the correct amount of oil in when new, that would explain where the original oil went.

I was going to check the tranny oil to see if it were excessively over full but I think I will leave it for the experts. The dealer said to bring it in tonight. I was expecting need an appointment.

I'll keep you posted.

McDuff

Any progress on an answer for this as I think I might be having this problem on my 91.
Charlie

tonyhds
24th March 2005, 04:09
10240 mi. No Leaks
Proper Warm Up...Proper warm Up... Proper warm up.......

GOTWA
25th April 2005, 05:08
Yep, '05 XL bought in February with ~900 miles on it. Just discovered a slow leak. Looks like the primary gasket. Very intermintent and only a couple drops. Thought I noticed a little dime-sized spot the other day but then nothing for a couple days after that. Figured it must have been there before and I didn't notice. Started watching closer and tonight I noticed a couple drops.

Nothing big and she goes in for the 1000 miler in a few days so I'll have 'em fix it.

Broncodog
25th April 2005, 05:13
About a month since my first post here with the yet at the end and sure enough.............got a leak :censor Like GOTWA, seems like the primary.

mroy05
25th April 2005, 18:09
I noticed a small leak coming from the gear selector shaft the other day. (stop me if I get to technical). I'll get it checked out after I put a few more miles on it.

05cookster
25th April 2005, 18:46
Mine is in the stealership right now with a leak in the "vent' tube area. Oil visable on the rear cylinder fins, starter housing, side cover. Leak documented at the 1,000 mile check up. Diagnosis: cleaned off oil, no leak on test ride. Took it back 6 hrs / 140 miles later same day. New diagnosis: "Wierd"... we'll check it out.

4/26/05
UPDATED DIAGNOSIS: Porous cylinder = Replace cylinder

Vivid black 05 1200c (Taxes paid)

Y2K
25th April 2005, 19:01
[QUOTE=MacDuff] I added some oil before the ride.

QUOTE]

There is your trouble right there dude. ;)
Check your oil when the motor is warm,at your low miles it shouldn't even need any added.I have 90,000 miles on my 2000 Harley and have never added a drop between changes.
Harleys are a dry sump system and will bleed oil into the crankcase when they sit for a while.
Then you add oil and overfill it.
Y2K :smoke

HD CRAZY
26th April 2005, 02:00
Got my 04 1200C last May by July I noticed it started to leak they replaced gasket and it stopped for awhile. When I got more miles on it itstarted again Replaced gasket second time not leaked since Have over 11,000 mi. and seems to be ok for now

wagoneer12
26th April 2005, 03:55
over 9000 miles and nary a drop

GWR
26th April 2005, 19:31
I have an 04 custom and have had it to dealers several times to fix leaks, pressure sensor, rocker cover, oil filter,etc but the hardest one for them to find was a leaking seam on the oil tank, they finally figured it out after keeping it for a week. They replaced it with a new one, checked that one and that leaked, replaced it a third time and got it right. The tank would leak during a ride to work ( about 1 hr ) I would park it and get a spot under it by lunch but it then no more after that. They finally got it right, so far so good.

Loneduck1
28th April 2005, 13:15
No leaks so far... Knock On wood.

jag1
28th April 2005, 13:20
I have an 04 custom and have had it to dealers several times to fix leaks, pressure sensor, rocker cover, oil filter,etc but the hardest one for them to find was a leaking seam on the oil tank, they finally figured it out after keeping it for a week. They replaced it with a new one, checked that one and that leaked, replaced it a third time and got it right. The tank would leak during a ride to work ( about 1 hr ) I would park it and get a spot under it by lunch but it then no more after that. They finally got it right, so far so good.
GWR- were was it leaking on the ground at. I seem to get a few drops every so often and it gathers and leaks off the piece the rear brake master cylinder mounts to.

GWR
28th April 2005, 19:15
It leaked off in that area, frame rails, rear brake cylinder area, it was hard to tell because it didn't leak large amounts of oil. Like I said, it would seep out and run down whatever path it could, the only way that they found it was to add the die and use a black light and run it till it was good and warm. I hope the info will help, in 1 yr, I think that it was at several dealers for leaks and run problems about 5 weeks, don't take NO for an answer and it will get fixed.

bill70rs
29th April 2005, 04:58
0 Leaks on my '04

jrhayden
30th April 2005, 07:55
I changed the oil on my '05 Roadster at 2500 miles. (It was also changed at 700 miles for state 1). I put 3.6 quarts in like the manual said. My dipstick level was to the top line, cold. Did I put too much in? Sounds like 3 quarts may be enough. I put 4 oz. in the filter, and 3.2 oz in the tank.

toothygrin
30th April 2005, 08:07
6300 miles on my 04 - no leaks. Plus my dealer does oil changes for $10.

Grizzly
30th April 2005, 11:10
haveing the now outdated non rubbermount 03 Sportster, I couldnt resist........could the leaks be caused because your engines vibrate around inside the frame on the rubber mounts like a rabbit on crack?!?! LOL :smoke

Just kidding, My 2003 has no leaks so far (knock on wood)

csaintg
30th April 2005, 13:15
I noticed a small leak coming from the gear selector shaft the other day. (stop me if I get to technical). I'll get it checked out after I put a few more miles on it.
Mine seeps in the same place. I am just now at 500, so I will have the dealer check it at 1000.

CJ

jwb47
30th April 2005, 15:27
no leaks for me

shad0w0528
30th April 2005, 15:33
i am lucky so far no leaks as far as I am concerned.What i did have was a loose clamp around the oil drain plug.had a drop on the ground one day.When I did my oil change I just made sure it was tight as it was suppose to be.

Ray
05 883 L
stage 1 plus goodies

shaggybob
30th April 2005, 16:44
8600 miles and not a drop!

Bill2
1st May 2005, 10:50
'05 3500 miles no leaks, like somebody said earlyer be sure and warm the bike up. That will go a long way in preventing leaks! ;)

MacDuff
1st May 2005, 15:29
It is time we finished this thread.

First, the leak was caused by the trans being over full. Leaking out the vent.

Second, the dealer that "fixed" the issue charged me for repair. They said it was not a warranty condition. They even implied that I caused the problem. This is my 5th motorcycle and second Sportster. I know where the oils go and I never even touched the trans since the bike was new and under warranty!

Third, HD did send me a check to cover the "repair" after I called and complained.

Fourth, 14% of the replys have leaking bikes. This is rather high in my opinion, even though it is an informal poll. I mentiond the results of the poll when I complained to HD and I got TOTAL SILENCE for several seconds on the phone and no comment regarding the poll.

In closing, I am heading out ridding even though its still cold. No rain today. Happy riding to everyone.

Danny3nose
2nd May 2005, 05:10
I've never had any problems either with the oil leaking in the year that I've had my bike.

Mike-883R
2nd May 2005, 22:11
'05-no leaks yet @ 600 miles.

I'm not sure if it includes motorcycles or not, but some of you guys with the same problems over and over and over again should look into the Lemon Law. I would think there's no worse feeling in the world than plunking down your hard-earned cash for something that needs repeated repairs for the same issues again and again :frownthre

jpj2004xl1200r
3rd May 2005, 23:11
On the Lemon Law....at least in PA motorcycles are NOT included in the law, only cars, trucks, vans, etc.

On McDuff's communication with Harley....I'm glad you took them to task (or at least tried to). I have been pissing around with them for over a year on the rocker box cover leak on my 2004 XL1200R...still not resolved (now you know why I have checked out the Lemon Law in PA!)

John

Samueul
11th May 2005, 04:42

My 04 with about 3500 miles on just developed a slight leak in the same place, called the dealer and getting it looked at under warranty.

XLFREAK
12th May 2005, 04:58
I've got a little seepage going on myself (haven't told the wife yet :eek: ). 600 miles and the head bolts are leaking. Dealer said to ride it 200 more miles and bring it in and they will fix it under warranty along with the 1000 mile check up. Hopefully I can take it in Sunday and have it back before the following weekend. My babies going under the knife!!! Its kind of a sad way to be introduced to Harley but I still love my bike regardless.
http://photos.yafro.com/pics3/i/20050511/19/7/a/0/7a0369edbd5b1ddb1142d494b17f28c00_full.jpg