PDA

View Full Version : travel assistance

darett
9th December 2008, 15:00
So I was on the JJ board the other day and I saw they had a pretty cool thing.

they have a list of members that are willing to help a stranded fellow member.
members that are willing to offer assistance be it tools,trailer,welder, garage,etc.

If you have volunteered your info then you would get a list of the information and location of the other members that have volunteered to provide assistance to a fellow member that way if you find yourself in unfamiliar territory in need of some help then you could give a person a call.

doc
9th December 2008, 15:04
Tried that a while back and there wasn't really the interest. Best thing to do is start a thread and map out your destination. There will likely be numerous people on the route that would be willing to help out.

Moved On / My Own Choice
9th December 2008, 15:05
I've suggested it before - it's something that the US BMW Owners Association and the Moto Guzzi National Owners Association have been doing in print for decades.

I agree it would be a great thing to have, and relatively easier/cheaper online.

Hell BERT - you could make it for paying members only, it would be another "benefit" to the site...

bigjnsa
9th December 2008, 15:05
This sounds like a great idea. Case in point, during CaveMan journeys, he passed right through my town on his way back home to get a truck and trailer. If I had kept up with the thread, I would have sent my number. Since I'm only 2 hours from the Mexico border it would have saved him quite a lot of time to retrieve their bike.

NRHS Sales
9th December 2008, 15:45
I will offer up my assistance for the northern colorado and southern wyoming right now.

darett
9th December 2008, 15:55
I'd be willing to start it. Interested people could email me there info. and like once a month I could email all the participants a list of all the volunteers.

Moved On / My Own Choice
9th December 2008, 16:02
I'd be willing to start it. Interested people could email me there info. and like once a month I could email all the participants a list of all the volunteers.

I would THINK it would be a LOT less work to just do it online with a database

darett
9th December 2008, 16:03
I would THINK it would be a LOT less work to just do it online with a database

yeah maybe a mod would set up a sticky thread or something

Moved On / My Own Choice
9th December 2008, 16:20
I don't think many people want to put their names and addresses and phone numbers on something as open and a thread.

BMW does it with something called the Anonymous Book.

People submit an address and phone number that is sorted by I think town if I remember correctly.

Then they list why they are willing to be contacted (using codes such as, and I don't remember them exactly it's been a number of years, k = Coffee and Conversation, T = tools, Tl = Trailer, there are listings for couch or crash space, tent space, spare parts on hand etc etc etc).

Anyway, a searchable database with TOWN, EMERGENCY CONTACT PHONE NUMBER and what you're willing to do - truck, trailer, tools, MORAL SUPPORT etc. would probably be enough.

NRHS Sales
9th December 2008, 16:29
I would post up my info on this website. I have nothing to hide and lots of available minutes on my cell!

Moved On / My Own Choice
9th December 2008, 16:33
I would post up my info on this website. I have nothing to hide and lots of available minutes on my cell!

Which is cool, and I've freely given my name, addy and/or phone number to people who have asked.

But POSTING it on an open forum just invites trouble, from spammers/mailers/marketing people etc.

You're handing out a database.

I HATE data-mining.

It's funny at the grocery store the other day after I paid and gave them my crappy "please don't rip me off" data-mining discount card the cashier turned to me and said "Have a nice day Mr. Slanski"

and I laughed as I thanked her, remembering I never use my real name or address for those things... and I lose them frequently to screw with their data results by getting a new one.

darett
9th December 2008, 16:37
maybe it could be an access only thread like "the mens room or the super off topic" and to get access you have to be willing to participate? maybe be a member?

jeremy8778
26th February 2009, 07:59
Sounds like a good idea.

milmat1
26th February 2009, 12:58
One of the biggest worries on a long trip is breakdowns. And not having the needed tools, trailer, or $1000.00 to call the local HD dealer etc..

I think it was always a great Idea. I think no one ever really came up with a way to implement it without compromising everyones information..

I would certainly try to help anyone that was stuck !!

hmiller
26th February 2009, 13:19
Did this with a Triumph owners goup a while back, no takers so far.

bplinson
26th February 2009, 18:47
Ok....here it is XLF-ROADHELP spreadsheet. I will start a new thread to announce it.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pYfAYBs9mk4SFmDKisFu2GQ

The spreadsheet is open to the world and anyone can edit it.

You can put as little or as much info as you wish on it.

You can sort the document by City, State, or Country