PDA

View Full Version : Q about lowering kit

engine
6th March 2005, 18:26
I decided that I was going to buy the progressive shocks and fork lowering springs rather than a gas tank right now. It's more worth the $$ at this time. My Q is about the forks kit. How much is there to the job? Is it simply removing the fork caps and changing out the springs? or more to it? I was looking at the HD accessories book, and their kit requires new tube sliders. What's up with that?
I also want to get the 11" rear 412's How much would these lower the bike. I got a stock ol '89. 14" rear shock ??

bud095
6th March 2005, 18:59
it lowered mine about 2in in the rear .never touched the front end at all.

Turbota
6th March 2005, 19:12
My Q is about the forks kit. How much is there to the job? Is it simply removing the fork caps and changing out the springs? or more to it?

I'm not sure what kind of a kit you are going to buy that lowers the front of the bike too, but as far as changing fork springs and fork oil, here is a post that explains step by step how to install the Progressive fork springs:

Your regular Progressive fork springs most people install [won't] lower the front of the bike. What they will do is stop a lot of the front-end dive when you get hard on the brakes. They will also eliminate a lot of the front sag and make for better overall handling.

The how-to:

http://www.xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2200

Good luck ... :)

engine
6th March 2005, 19:28
I am going to buy the Progressive Fork lowering springs, I guess I wasn't clear earlier.

thanks.

xena
6th March 2005, 19:40
Not trying to hijack your thread engine, but I too was under the impression that progressive makes a fork spring lowering kit. I'm interested in installing them on my bike so I'll be following your thread. Sorry I can't contribute more to answering your questions.

engine
6th March 2005, 20:33
Not trying to hijack your thread engine, but I too was under the impression that progressive makes a fork spring lowering kit. I'm interested in installing them on my bike so I'll be following your thread. Sorry I can't contribute more to answering your questions.
They sure do make it. http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=A39D05B6-B7CE-47AD-BDB1-31315691C586&search=fork&store=Harley&page=23
But www.Jirehcycles.com has better prices, $67.

traveler
6th March 2005, 22:24
A stock 883XL has 13 inch shocks

The custom models have 12 inch shocks

Not sure on the 883 hugger/low, my guess is 12 inchers

www.vortexwaco.com makes brackets that only cost about 60 bucks that can lower the rear, using your factory shocks (save $$$)

can't speak as to how they actually work, just found the website.

Keep in mind, when you lower a bike, the kickstand might have to be changed.

( I personally like the 10" shocks in the rear, with a black springer front end!!!)

joe

XLFREAK
6th March 2005, 22:52
The progressive fork kit will lower your front end if you cut the spacers short. If you want it to ride higher, cut them long. I have them and I experimented for about a week with them. I think it was the best $52.00 I have even spent.

xena
7th March 2005, 02:32
Hey Engine, I looked in my new Jireh catalog and can't find the damn fork springs for an 04' sportster. Are you sure they carry the kit for the late model Sportys? Do you have a part # for me? Tx a bunch.

willprevale
7th March 2005, 02:36
you can also move the forks up in the trees about an inch. That's a cost and hassle free way to go.

xena
7th March 2005, 02:39
Will, I dunno bout the others in this thread, but I tried that and I hated the way the bike handled for some reason. I want the Progressive fork spring lowering kit but I can't find it in the Jireh catalog.

willprevale
7th March 2005, 02:45
I'm not sure there is a lowering kit available or if there is, I don't know about it. The handling change you refer to may have been due to too much or to little. Mechano has a mathematical formula to measure the proper length. It's proportional to but not the same as what you lower thr rear.

engine
7th March 2005, 03:27
Hey Engine, I looked in my new Jireh catalog and can't find the damn fork springs for an 04' sportster. Are you sure they carry the kit for the late model Sportys? Do you have a part # for me? Tx a bunch.
Looking at the J&P catalog, part # 230-444 says 1987-2005 39mm Showa Forks, except XL sport.so I'd guess that they are all pretty much the same forks. The BURLY springs to the right of the progressives say the same thing '87-'05. To be safe, maybe you should contact Progressive on that...
http://www.jpcycles.com/catalog/2005HarleyCatalog/images/0636_01.jpg

As far as the Jireh part #, that's weird that it goes up to '00. If you contact progressive and get a particular part #, maybe if you call Jireh wit that #, they may have a cross reference for it...

willprevale
7th March 2005, 04:25
I take it back. I wuz wrong :cry1

xena
7th March 2005, 04:31
Will you weren't wrong at all. You said if there was one you didn't know about it. :) Heyyyyyyyy, right now it's colder in Georgia than it is here in MA? WTF is up with that?

connorleeneil13
7th March 2005, 04:58
I decided that I was going to buy the progressive shocks and fork lowering springs rather than a gas tank right now. It's more worth the $$ at this time. My Q is about the forks kit. How much is there to the job? Is it simply removing the fork caps and changing out the springs? or more to it? I was looking at the HD accessories book, and their kit requires new tube sliders. What's up with that?
I also want to get the 11" rear 412's How much would these lower the bike. I got a stock ol '89. 14" rear shock ??
I installed the 412's 11" on my 90, left the front same lenght and It gave me more Rake at the front, Im not sure how much it lowered the ass but it looks great and handles well.

willprevale
7th March 2005, 04:59
Will you weren't wrong at all. You said if there was one you didn't know about it. :) Heyyyyyyyy, right now it's colder in Georgia than it is here in MA? WTF is up with that?
Damned if I know but now ya know why I have an electric blanket :smoke

engine
8th March 2005, 01:16
Well, the parts are in the mail. Came out to $247.60 for 11" rear HD shocks (black ofcourse) and front lowering kit. The front kit went up to $69 from $67, and the rears went up to $177 from $159. All in all, still cheapest around!! :smoke Should get them in 7-10 days...

xena
8th March 2005, 01:39
engine did you order your stuff from jireh? I got impatient so last night I bought the front spring lowering kit from eastern performance. Was a little more money but I hate waiting and these guys ship fast.

engine
8th March 2005, 12:19
engine did you order your stuff from jireh?
Yes, I did. Mine should arrive 7-10 days. Fine with me becasue the way the weather is here, my bike isn't going anywhere soon... Still expecting rain/snow this week... :frownthre

seajay
8th March 2005, 17:29
Engine. Lowering the front is approx. a 2 hr. job with no major problems. You have to remove the front wheel, forks, 6mm slider screws(with air) and replace the rebound springs. Look on the next thread for some suggestions. I put 11" rears and 2" front kit on and lowered the bike 1". The 04 custom stock rear shocks are 11 1/2".

Rondall
8th March 2005, 20:28
Progressive's part number for the Cruise Control Fork Lowering Kit for 04-05 Sporty's is 10-1560. Mine just arrived today. :D

bullittt
8th March 2005, 22:43
I am confused a bit but that is nothing new! My ride is an 04 1200 c and i want to lower it just a bit. From what I have read here one can simply side the forks thru the trees an inch and get some lowering. This seems all too simple!!!! What is the down side..........Q's
1. is an inch all you can go?
2. what is the limit to lower the bike in this manner?
3. do you just loosen the nuts and let it slide down?
4. What is the downside to making this change?
5. and finelly , i assume if I don't like it i can put it back the same way?

01Sporty
8th March 2005, 23:31
A stock 883XL has 13 inch shocks

www.vortexwaco.com makes brackets that only cost about 60 bucks that can lower the rear, using your factory shocks (save $$$)

can't speak as to how they actually work, just found the website.
joe

FWIW,
I was talking with a guy who tried the "bracket" lowering kit route. He stated that as time went on, the bracket started to bend, he ended-up getting new shocks.

I just got my heavy duty 412's. I figured 12" was the size to go with, based on the geometry of the ones that are on the 01 now. I spent some time looking at them "up next to" the standard OEM shocks and I'm now thinking the 12" won't give me the 1.5" I wanted, we'll see.
I was surprised that Jireh didn't carry a kickstand for a lowered Sportster, went to Kirk for that.

I also got the 4.2 gal Paughco "Fatbob" tank from Jireh. I'm a little dis-appointed in just how much prep work it needs, but for the price, I'll deal with it.
Anyone have any experience modifying a tank for the Emissions return line?

Almost time to start riding again :tour :tour

engine
9th March 2005, 02:04
Engine. Lowering the front is approx. a 2 hr. job with no major problems. You have to remove the front wheel, forks, 6mm slider screws(with air) and replace the rebound springs. Look on the next thread for some suggestions. I put 11" rears and 2" front kit on and lowered the bike 1". The 04 custom stock rear shocks are 11 1/2".

why would you have to totally disassemble the forks if you can just swap out the springs from the top once you take the caps off? Some mods you have to make to the tube sliders? TurboT/A gave a link to his step-by-step of swapping springs, and no need to tear them down...
http://www.xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2200

xena
9th March 2005, 02:10
engine, listen to seajay. He knows the deal because he installed the fork lowering kit. It's NOT the same thing as just installing new springs such as in Turbota's write up. (Seajay pointed out to me something I overlooked, which is, the fact that Turbota didn't install the lowering kit, just a replacement spring kit. Two different animals.)
I'll be doing mine soon as the weather warms a little bit.

engine
9th March 2005, 02:29
OK, I re-read T/A's list, and it's swapping out stock height springs...does not mention LOWERING kit. My mistake (sorrryyy...). I'm hoping the Progressives come with instructions that one can actually read and follow...and not a piece of paper that has been photocopied a hundred times over to the point that it's barely legible (experienced with those??). Seajay metnioned looking at another thread for suggestions...where is that? Since my bike has to go to the indy shop for a complete inspection and tire change (it's been heibernating for 5 years before I picked it up), maybe I'll have them do the fork springs. Maybe they'll be gentle with me...(on price). Or not...I'll see if I have all the tools to do it right (savings!).

xena
9th March 2005, 02:35
I never saw the thread seajay referred to so I don't know. I bought the white bros. fork spring lowering kit. It's due to arrive here tomorrow. I too am hoping it comes with explicit instructions or else, like you, I'll just have my local indy do it so I don't screw anything up.

seajay
9th March 2005, 14:20
Engine & Zena. The thread I mentioned was Zena's "Do you think I can do it?". White Bros. gave very detailed instructions. Good luck.

Folkie
9th March 2005, 19:15
Engine,

You were asking about the instructions for Progressive's lowering kit. I was going to say that they're on the Progressive web site, but I've just been to look and they've changed the web site and I can't find the instructions; all the ones for the shocks, 412s etc, but not the lowering kit.

I've got a copy I downloaded, I could email it to you (it's a .pdf file, about 160KB); send me a PM if you're interested.