PDA

View Full Version : HELP? State cell phone use restrictions.

indyrednek
30th September 2006, 04:37
I need help from those of you that have cell phone use restrictions while operating a motor vehicle.
What I am looking for is a copy of the law, how it is enforced (can they stopped for it) and what the penalties are.
Here in Arizona we have NONE. The legislature keeps letting the bills we have go dead before they can be voted on.:censor
I am going to try to sit down with some of my local representatives and discuss what can be done to get a bill through.:rolleyes:
We have had several serious injury/fatal accidents this year that have been caused by cell phone use.:frownthre
So those of you that would be so kind please send me what you have. i.e copy, link, etc.
Thanks

Moved On
30th September 2006, 04:42
I'm not sure where to point you to the NY law. It says that you have to have handsfree cell phone adaptors to legally use them in a car.

One of the girls I work with got a ticket for talking on her phone in the Dunkin Donuts drive through... the cop was in line right behind her :doh

I was in court for a speeding ticket a few weeks ago and about half a dozen women (why is it always the women???) had cell phone tickets. Every one of them that plead guilty got a $75 fine.

Gazza

CaptEvo
30th September 2006, 04:58
From a newspaper article:

On July 1, New Jersey will become the second state in the nation (New York was the first) to require motorists to hang up their hand-held cell phones and talk "hands free" while driving.

New Jersey’s law makes the use of hand-held cell phones a secondary offense, meaning that a motorist can only be cited for the offense if he has been stopped by a police officer for another moving violation. The penalty for using a hand-held cell phone ranges from $100 to $250, but no points will be added to the driver’s motor vehicle record.

In New York, the use of a hand-held cell phone is a primary offense for which a motorist may be stopped.

The New Jersey law does not make it illegal for a driver to take his hands off the steering wheel to dial a hands-free phone. The state law banning the use of hand-held cell phones by the operator of a motor vehicle replaces a patchwork of cell phone ban ordinances in a number of New Jersey municipalities.

I can tell you the ban in New Jersey is a farce. People totally ignore it.

thatbikerguy
30th September 2006, 05:09
I know that Wash D.C. is not a state but they had the rule for about 3 years i think...

hdskibum
30th September 2006, 05:44
They're banned on Luke AFB, and maybe others.

fafcpa
2nd October 2006, 18:10
Connecticut's law is a year old. The state police are very proud that they've given out about 2,000 tickets. But it seems to me I see more people using a hand held cell phone than before the law.

Quite truthfully, I think the law is a joke because it is not enforced!

Fred

oakies
2nd October 2006, 21:02
In my city in NY, they pull everyone over using a cell phone. Its just a money maker and excuse to check everybody for a valid license and registration.

gamhill
2nd October 2006, 21:13
Maybe this will help -

http://www.iihs.org/laws/state_laws/cell_phones.html

CntryFun
2nd October 2006, 21:54
If it ain't the cell phone distracting people it will be something else.
Go w/ the statistics and ban something that will do some good. In 100% of all automotive accidents automobiles have been involved!!! BAN AUTOMOBILES!!!

Or we could just SERIOUSLY punish people that are in accidents (mainly serious ones because everyone does screw up and have a minor accident from time to time) due to distractions, regardless if it's a phone or CD player, and then people will be too dang scared to do anything else while driving because they know what is at stake!

doc
2nd October 2006, 22:00
This link may help you out.
New York Cell Phone Law (http://www.nysgtsc.state.ny.us/phon-vt.htm)

DIESEL
3rd October 2006, 00:24
Indy--I wiil help you any way I can. I do work at the court. But, I am guilty of using my cell phone while riding my Sporty down the road.

Funny thing, the cagers think I am crazy for do the same thing they are doing. WTF???, At least I don't have an enclosed area for a lit cigarrette. But I guess one in the crotch would hurt!