PDA

View Full Version : How do i install the o-ring ...

IronMick
8th March 2005, 05:30
How do i install the o-ring and aircraft style clamps connecting the intake manifold to the cylinder head? 1980 XLH, Keihin carb. I have separated the carb from the manifold.

The book shows the rubber seal rather than the o-ring, and a slightly different clamp. Much easier to install. But those in the know around here say the o-ring with the aircraft style clamp gives a better seal.

Anyone else using these? The install looks "impossible".

Chuck
10th March 2005, 01:10
How do i install the o-ring and aircraft style clamps connecting the intake manifold to the cylinder head? 1980 XLH, Keihin carb. I have separated the carb from the manifold.

The book shows the rubber seal rather than the o-ring, and a slightly different clamp. Much easier to install. But those in the know around here say the o-ring with the aircraft style clamp gives a better seal.

Anyone else using these? The install looks "impossible".

Not familiar with that style. I didn't think the seal type was a problem. If you end up using the seal type, a little dish soap on it makes it slide together nice.
Spring is almost here Mick, gona have her ready?

IronMick
10th March 2005, 05:07
I got the o-rings installed. Was tricky. Next time will be easier since i now know the technique.

She'll be ready! Today i installed the original ham can A/C, Crane-Cams Hi-4 ignition module, and fuel tank. Recently installed the engine top end, starter motor, generator, reg/rec, exhaust, carb. It is pretty well done now.

Next have to install some fluids: engine and tranny oil. Need to get a VOES switch.

My plan is to first turn it on amd check all the lights. Next attempt to turn the engine with the starter but with no spark plugs. Then check each spark plug for spark. Then fill'er up with fuel and ...

Max Throttle
10th March 2005, 11:36
ive got that set-up but never used them due to a chip on the head, i thought it may leak

let us know if that set-up works good for ya :)

ShadowViper
10th March 2005, 19:41
Mick maybe a how-to on how you did it?? I have the same setup on my 72 orings and aircraft clamps. The only way i see is to do it with the jugs loose. :eek:

iron68
10th March 2005, 21:03
I have the o-ring set up. It wasn't that hard. If I remember correctly, I put the o-rings in the clamps, put the clamps on the intake and it slid right in with no problems.

Adam

IronMick
13th March 2005, 03:58
<<
I have the same setup on my 72 orings and aircraft clamps. The only way i see is to do it with the jugs loose.
---
I have the o-ring set up ... if I remember correctly, I put the o-rings in the clamps, put the clamps on the intake and it slid right in with no problems.
>>

Must first separate the carb from the mani.

In my setup, with both clamps installed the mani will not go on.

I installed one clamp [the right one but i don't think it matters] loosely and inserted the o-ring so that the back of it was in place [but the front was not]. I held the mani and the other o-ring in place [with the back of the o-ring in place] then opened up the other clamp, wrapped it around the joint, and got it started.

The next part is a feel thing. If i pushed on the mani just the right way i could feel it pop the o-rings into place. I inserted my finger into the mani and felt around to be certain that the o-rings were not coming thru.

It can be done.