PDA

View Full Version : Worth the trouble?

bsporty
10th October 2006, 02:22
I have been doing some thinking....(snow?)
I own my moms '89 honda civic.
Its a pretty ugly but very reliable car, plus it was my moms car so it actually holds sentimental value.
I am by no means going to be able to afford a new or used decent looking vehicle anytime soon and I am really sick of driving around in something so ugly.It sucks to sleep, eat and breath cars and bikes and drive something so not cool.
The thing I have on my side is that I work in a body shop and can do everything I need to do to the car to make it look good, which is a lot of work a good amount of funds and a bunch of love.
I want to replace the rocker panels and patch up the quarters.
The car is an ugly gold so instead of going thru all the trouble of paining the jambs and shit I figure I will paint it a darker gold with some pearls in it, possiably black racing stripes.....Good idea, or bad idea?

jamman
10th October 2006, 02:33
sounds cool, I bought my mothers car, after she passed.. It sits alot, pretty excelient condition.. colors sound good too..

roadogette
10th October 2006, 02:35
Go for it Brandi.

RedRider
10th October 2006, 02:36
I vote for black primer out of a rattle can, and go for the outlaw look... ;) :D

Mr Jimi
10th October 2006, 02:38
I have been doing some thinking....(snow?)
I own my moms '89 honda civic.
Its a pretty ugly but very reliable car, plus it was my moms car so it actually holds sentimental value.
I am by no means going to be able to afford a new or used decent looking vehicle anytime soon and I am really sick of driving around in something so ugly.It sucks to sleep, eat and breath cars and bikes and drive something so not cool.
The thing I have on my side is that I work in a body shop and can do everything I need to do to the car to make it look good, which is a lot of work a good amount of funds and a bunch of love.
I want to replace the rocker panels and patch up the quarters.
The car is an ugly gold so instead of going thru all the trouble of paining the jambs and shit I figure I will paint it a darker gold with some pearls in it, possiably black racing stripes.....Good idea, or bad idea?

If the car has sentimental value cause it was your Mom's, why don't you paint it back to factory color or a prettier gold, you know she would like that. And she may not like the stripes thing.
Think of her and put your heart in it, she'll love ya for it
:tour

Hanoverfiste
10th October 2006, 02:41
Keeping something like that for sentiment is a great thing!! good idea with your colour choices..!

Roadster_Rider
10th October 2006, 02:42
Considering the price of the work, if your going to go to that much trouble for an 18 year old vehicle, you really should think about replacing it. it sounds like the work will cost as much as the car is worth.

Edit-i'm not saying that you should just get rid of it though, since it does hold sentimental value to you.

t.c. Johnson
10th October 2006, 03:15
Look up the book value of the car and don't go putting more into it than you would get out of it.

It really blows paying NJ style insurance rates for some "cherished" oldie and have them hand you $35.00 after some tool totals it for you.

JC Whitney rocker panels and bondo with a Macco paint job and Mom will never know the difference. You won't wince everytime you walk up to it.

flskevin
10th October 2006, 03:19
Well it goes classic in 3 more years.

bsporty
10th October 2006, 03:34
I vote for black primer out of a rattle can, and go for the outlaw look... ;) :D
I thought of that too.Paint the wheels red and get some whitewalls...it could be the RICE- ROD!!lol

bsporty
10th October 2006, 03:36
Look up the book value of the car and don't go putting more into it than you would get out of it.

It really blows paying NJ style insurance rates for some "cherished" oldie and have them hand you $35.00 after some tool totals it for you.

JC Whitney rocker panels and bondo with a Macco paint job and Mom will never know the difference. You won't wince everytime you walk up to it.
I would be doing all the work myself.I wont even have to pay for the paint, just the parts and the time.You are right about the insurance though!

bsporty
10th October 2006, 03:37
If the car has sentimental value cause it was your Mom's, why don't you paint it back to factory color or a prettier gold, you know she would like that. And she may not like the stripes thing.
Think of her and put your heart in it, she'll love ya for it
:tour
Funny bout the stripes! Id love to know what she would think of the Sporty!!:laugh

Gone
10th October 2006, 03:43
It's awesome you're resourceful enough to do all the work yourself! I say go for it if it will make you feel a lot better about your ride.

t.c. Johnson
10th October 2006, 04:19
I would be doing all the work myself.I wont even have to pay for the paint, just the parts and the time.You are right about the insurance though!

If you are doing the work yourself then JC Whitney and salvage parts are the only way to go. Some of my favorite cars were brought back from the dead.
The only time the fenders were all the same color was right before I sold them!