PDA

View Full Version : Question about a "Support Club"

black_n_orange_08
5th January 2009, 07:04
What exactly is a "Support Club"? Some guys that I ride with are heading up a support club for a local chapter of a 1% club. It's just a matter of time before I'm invited, but I don't want to ask them questions and sound too interested. I'm told that the support club itself is not a 1% club.

daggar rider
5th January 2009, 07:08
yeah the only way i can expain it is with an example, in FL the outlaws are the big 1% club but the black pistons, iron coffins, and a couple a others are the support clubs, basicaly the outlaws alow these clubs to fly there colors but they have to always "support" or back or work for the main MC in the area, not to be taken lightly though, even though they may not be 1% they are (mostly) still bad ass's

black_n_orange_08
5th January 2009, 07:15
thanks. that's kinda how I took it, but wasn't really sure. I wanted to know what I was being offered before I asked them and came across as bein a little niave...

ImAHighSamurai
5th January 2009, 08:23
yeah the only way i can expain it is with an example, in FL the outlaws are the big 1% club but the black pistons, iron coffins, and a couple a others are the support clubs, basicaly the outlaws alow these clubs to fly there colors but they have to always "support" or back or work for the main MC in the area, not to be taken lightly though, even though they may not me 1% they are (mostly) still bad ass's

Question: If lets say the Black Pistons or another support club needs assistance with a rival or troublesome club which is not a fellow support club of the outlaws would the main MC return the support or does this vary for every club?

Casper
5th January 2009, 17:28
Usually, yes. A war between any two clubs is bad for business. Example: say the Black Pistons go to war with another club not affiliated with the AOA. Joe Average won't necessarily recognize that the club at wars is the BP's; all he'll remember is the black and white colours and the crossed pistons. He thinks he remembers seeing the word "Outlaws" as well (from the support patch). So he tells the cops that the Outlaws are the ones causing the ruckus. Now the Outlaws, through no fault of their own, suddenly find themselves under constant police surveillance, raids, and other major inconveniences. If for no other reason than to keep themselves out of the can needlessly, it's in their best interest to ensure that no war occurs on their territory that they didn't sanction.

Also, it's a matter of maintaining territory and respect. If the newcomer wins and the support club is folded (by force), then not only have the Outlaws lost the territory held by the support club, but they've also lost some of the respect the other support clubs have for them. After all, if the top club isn't going to help out the support clubs when they need it, why would the support clubs risk their sixes for the top?

For whatever the reason, it really does become a matter of mutual support. Of course, the level of intervention by the top club varies with the situation, but they are always keeping an eye on the matter.

Note: I only used the AOA/BP example because that was the one already in use in this thread. The same issue can and does occur to every other major club out there. No disrespect is intended to either club.

hmiller
5th January 2009, 17:47
I was invited to join a support group recently, first it seemed too easy to join second they wanted the title to my bike third the "main club" would have to ok me and I'd be their bitch too while a prospect. F'em

superwarden
5th January 2009, 17:51
Support clubs are usually the runners for the main club. Sometimes the support clubs are formed as a "business" venture. They may not be true 1% clubs, but they do not fall far from the tree if you know what I mean. Some support clubs are patched over to the big club after a while as well. IF you are a member of one, it is probably a matter of time before you are a member of the other.

bud095
5th January 2009, 18:02
[QUOTE=hmiller;1664316]I was invited to join a support group recently, first it seemed too easy to join second they wanted the title to my bike third the "main club" would have to ok me and I'd be their bitch too while a prospect. F'em[/QU that about sums it up

Sportster1200
5th January 2009, 22:33
The support club is a puppet club of the mother club.

They run themselves but have members of the mother club as "advisors". Typically the "advisor" has set up the support club to do "work" that he or the mother club requests.

They are seen as pawns by the mother clubs as well as a training ground. Think of it as the mother club is the pro sports franchise and the support club is the farm team. As well, support clubs can also have support clubs that work for them.

The mother club usually watches from a distance if there are problems and will only get involved if they have to. The odd scrap here and there weans out the lightweights for them.

To sum things up - only join a support club if you would be willing to join the mother club and live their life.

KongBastard

superwarden
5th January 2009, 22:38
The support club is a puppet club of the mother club.

They run themselves but have members of the mother club as "advisors". Typically the "advisor" has set up the support club to do "work" that he or the mother club requests.

They are seen as pawns by the mother clubs as well as a training ground. Think of it as the mother club is the pro sports franchise and the support club is the farm team. As well, support clubs can also have support clubs that work for them.

The mother club usually watches from a distance if there are problems and will only get involved if they have to. The odd scrap here and there weans out the lightweights for them.

To sum things up - only join a support club if you would be willing to join the mother club and live their life.

KongBastard

Very well put, I have heard them called puppy clubs as well.....

citified
6th January 2009, 00:23
"biker gangs and pyramid scams" on the next 20/20

rontech
6th January 2009, 00:42
I was invited to join a support group recently, first it seemed too easy to join second they wanted the title to my bike third the "main club" would have to ok me and I'd be their bitch too while a prospect. F'em
I would like to know why they would want the title to YOUR bike. I wouldn't give it to them. They do not own it.

drumballer
6th January 2009, 00:52
I would like to know why they would want the title to YOUR bike. I wouldn't give it to them. They do not own it.

Not an uncommon practice for 1% clubs. I think it's probably to make sure you really want to be a part of this and it gives them a little leverage over you.Lets not forget that control is what it usually boils down to with these clubs. They gotta control who can fly what and where and even what kind of bike their members can ride. I just don't understand how people talking about being FREE and having a BROTHERHOOD turns into the top few running your life and owning your bike! I would NEVER sign my bike over to someone who isn't making the payments but i guess there's one born every minute and i guess that's why I am not cut out to be an outlaw MC patch holder!
My advice to you is if you wanna be a 1% club member in the end then go ahead if not then you should probably leave it be at that. Not saying you cant go drinking with em uz it'll probably be some fun but definately think it through fully!

black_n_orange_08
6th January 2009, 05:46
Thanks for ith input. I kinda got the feeling that's what the deal was, but I wasn't sure.

Sportster1200
6th January 2009, 05:50

They typically own your life. During the initial hangaround process they will have you fill out their "info" sheet which includes a lot of personal stuff. This allows them to do a very thorough background check on you and gives them a lot of leverage if they decide you are causing them problems.

In my earlier post I used the sports team analogy. As in a pro sports team many will try to make it to the pros but only a few get there. However when you are cut from a sports team you get to walk away and go home. Quitting or getting cut from a biker gang is usually not as painless.

KongBastard

mrlowlight
6th January 2009, 08:57
Support Club = 1% light....but not like light beer :laugh. The only people who should become involved in these clubs are those who wish to live the life of 'The Club'. A good thing you asked for info, before falling into something you were not prepared for.

Takingabreak
6th January 2009, 09:25
I have friends in a club up here, I was asked to ride with them, but I know that "Club Life" is just not for me.

I thanked them, but politely declined.

xllent01
6th January 2009, 13:01

How about i sign my wife, my checkbook and everything else i own over also..I think you said it best..F :censor K Them!!

Like my signature says: If you want to go nowhere fast, just follow the crowd

black_n_orange_08
7th January 2009, 21:00
How about i sign my wife, my checkbook and everything else i own over also..I think you said it best..F :censor K Them!!

Like my signature says: “If you want to go nowhere fast, just follow the crowd”

I'd be willin to sign over a wife, kid, and some loans...

...but not my Sportster!