PDA

View Full Version : program having the opposite effect from desired

emzdogz
7th January 2009, 14:17
Dear Harley-Davidson:

Your Sportster buy-back program, intended to sell your large pig-bikes over the XL is having the exact opposite effect on me, for one.

I will NEVER, EVER, EVER buy a Harley Davidson Big Twin motorcycle, because of your conniving, dastardly, backstabbing, faithless, traitorous ways.

EVER!
or rent one either.

Gone
7th January 2009, 14:40
Oh .. an HD program .. I thouht he was talking about a government program, they never work either ..

Phaedrus
7th January 2009, 15:16
Well I don't blame them for offering the program, for some folks it's a great opportunity.
Unfortunalty there are some who will not only be "upgrading" their bike but their debt load as well. All because of a little BT envy.

emzdogz
7th January 2009, 15:21
Well I don't blame them for offering the program, for some folks it's a great opportunity.
Unfortunalty there are some who will not only be "upgrading" their bike but their debt load as well. All because of a little BT envy.

but Pete, why oh why would those people have not purchased a BT originally? My thought is it can't be that they are a whole lot "richer" this year than last year. I say this because hardly anyone is richer this year than last year.
So what is it that prevents a person from walking into an H-D dealer and buying a BT right away, right off the bat? Why is it they must first go to the Sportster, which they are then encouraged to get rid of?

I know, I'm personalizing something that is in fact "business". Please bear with me, I've almost got it out of my system.

Lenster
7th January 2009, 15:26
So what is it that prevents a person from walking into an H-D dealer and buying a BT right away, right off the bat?

About Ten Large.............:doh

emzdogz
7th January 2009, 15:29
About Ten Large.............:doh

but what makes anyone think that THIS year people are gonna suddenly HAVE that 10 large, when last year they didn't?
and, if they really want a BT but are lacking 10 large, why not buy a used BT?

darett
7th January 2009, 15:34
but Pete, why oh why would those people have not purchased a BT originally? My thought is it can't be that they are a whole lot "richer" this year than last year. I say this because hardly anyone is richer this year than last year.
So what is it that prevents a person from walking into an H-D dealer and buying a BT right away, right off the bat? Why is it they must first go to the Sportster, which they are then encouraged to get rid of?

I know, I'm personalizing something that is in fact "business". Please bear with me, I've almost got it out of my system.

they probably got teased too much hangin out at the starbucks
the only thing I can figure is that they probably figured that once the bought a Harley they would immediately be accepted and didn't realize they purchased the bastard step child of the MOCO

Phaedrus
7th January 2009, 15:34
Many of us (me included) suffer from a "got to have it now" or "gotta get the latest and greatest" syndrome. It's part of our culture and corporations have helped create and nurture it.

Low borrowing rates make it easy to get the latest and greatest.

I hadn't owned a bike for years when I bought the Sportster, and went through a bit of should have got a BT afterwards. (particularly when my little brother got one)

Everytime I try out a BT, I remember why I like the Sporty, plus I don't want to pay any more than I already am to ride.

Of course theres probably lots of other reasons why people change their minds

flathead45
7th January 2009, 15:36
cause some people just can't buy used

the sporty is a starter bike and just a stepping stone for big twins. deny it if you want but sometimes the truth hurts

emzdogz
7th January 2009, 15:37
yeah I guess after all, bike lust, in general, is not the most logical thing.
sigh....
ok I guess I'm done...lol.
Rant over....

:)

emzdogz
7th January 2009, 15:38

the sporty is a starter bike and just a stepping stone for big twins. deny it if you want but sometimes the truth hurts

Not for me its not.
How's that?

Terp84Alum
7th January 2009, 15:38
Actually, this program is pure genius.

emzdogz
7th January 2009, 15:41
Actually, this program is pure genius.

I don't deny that.

Is it good for the Sportster though? For the Sportster not as the dixie cup throwaway turd but the Sportster with the 50 plus year history and legacy.

blankline9
7th January 2009, 15:42
i personally would consider it because when I bought my sporty new in 07 it was my first bike and all that I could afford at that time. Now in the beginning of 2009, if I trade up, they will be giving me $1200 more than what i owe on it and i have the money to afford the more expensive insurance and the cost of a more expensive bike. i love my sportster but my warranty is up in may and anything newer in my eyes is always an upgrade. maybe i'm an exception to the rule or maybe its because i'm only 25 and don't have kids but this downward spiraling economy has allowed me to buy a new car this past july and now hopefully a new bike this weekend. just my .02

arab1302
7th January 2009, 15:43
I don't think they are trying to go after guys who already have a bike; whether it be a Harley or a metric cruiser. I get the sense that they are trying to get folks that want to start riding and are a little intimidated by the size of the BT bikes out there. I can tell you when I first started looking, I didn't want to go into a dealership because I thought they would be able to smell the fear on me as I looked at those big ass motorcycles.

It's also easier to start your motorcycle riding "career" with a smaller up front purchase (in case it is not what you really want to do) knowing that you will get full credit on that amount if you decide to go bigger.

Also, I think I read somewhere, maybe in this forum that HD dealers are force fed Sportys. When I read it, the person was making the point that dealers overprice the used bikes to make folks decide to just get a new one so that the dealer can keep their sales numbers up. I would think that if new sporty sales were down, then this program would be a way to get those numbers back up. Again, I can't recall where I read that, or if it is even valid. If anyone knows the real scoop, feel free to correct.

emzdogz
7th January 2009, 15:45
i personally would consider it because when I bought my sporty new in 07 it was my first bike and all that I could afford at that time. Now in the beginning of 2009, if I trade up, they will be giving me $1200 more than what i owe on it and i have the money to afford the more expensive insurance and the cost of a more expensive bike. i love my sportster but my warranty is up in may and anything newer in my eyes is always an upgrade. maybe i'm an exception to the rule or maybe its because i'm only 25 and don't have kids but this downward spiraling economy has allowed me to buy a new car this past july and now hopefully a new bike this weekend. just my .02

I guess there's Sportster people and there's folks that are just passing through.
Gives me a greater appreciation of people with a true affection for the XL.
(rare as they seem to be)

flathead45
7th January 2009, 15:45
well good for you, but remember that there are billions of people out there with billions of opinions and not every one can be just like you.

Americans want the biggest baddest thing they can get as far as vehicles go and the sporty is too small. if the moco were to stop selling the big twin and make a bike of say 500cc then everyone would want a sporty cause it would be the big bike then.

emzdogz
7th January 2009, 15:48
but does this whole thing, down the road, DE-value the Sportster or raise the value? Does this whole thing somehow honor the Sportster?
I keep thinking there's some aspect of this I just don't "get".
And I've thought about it alot.

emzdogz
7th January 2009, 15:49
well good for you, but remember that there are billions of people out there with billions of opinions and not every one can be just like you.

Americans want the biggest baddest thing they can get as far as vehicles go and the sporty is too small. if the moco were to stop selling the big twin and make a bike of say 500cc then everyone would want a sporty cause it would be the big bike then.

I'll be happy if just a handful feel just like me.
But that handful is dwindling.

I get what you're saying. I just see the Sportster loving core slipping away.
I guess nothing lasts forever.

blankline9
7th January 2009, 15:52
i totally respect and appreciate the heritage of the sportster....its an awesome bike and I wouldn't have done anything different if i could go back to when I bought it, even if i had the money then i would still have bought it just because with little riding experience at that time i wouldn't have felt comfortable on a bigger bike. now that i'm with a girl who loves to ride having a bigger bike would be more comfortable for both of us. she's close to 6 feet tall and when she rides on my bike i feel like i have to ride on the tank for her to be comfortable. i just think for myself now is probably the best chance for me to get a decent deal on a bigger bike. and even if i do trade the sporty i will be hoping to get another as soon as i can afford it, just to hop it up and have another toy

arab1302
7th January 2009, 15:53
but does this whole thing, down the road, DE-value the Sportster or raise the value? Does this whole thing somehow honor the Sportster?

At the end of the day, you have to accept that this program, and any other for that matter, are not about any community of individuals who have a particular love for a certain model. It is about Harley Davidson making money. It may not seem like they will make money by selling new bikes and then accepting them back for full MSRP on a trade, but you can bet your ass they are going to make money. That is what drives everything in corporate America. Harley is no different.

It doesn't make me feel any better or worse about my bike. Of course, maybe there will be a pile of new BT owners out there next year to try to tell me I am on a girl bike.

blkshark
7th January 2009, 15:56

Well that may be. But yesterday, when I was at the dealership getting a new speedo installed (warranty) the sales guy, all the parts guys and service guys were going gah-gah over my bike. They loved the way I had it set up, and were lamenting that they didn't have a Sportster anymore and how much fun they were. Two of them even asked if they could take my bike out for a quick spin. :laugh:laugh
They also said that they have had two takers on the program and have resold both Sportsters already.

emzdogz
7th January 2009, 16:00
i totally respect and appreciate the heritage of the sportster....its an awesome bike and I wouldn't have done anything different if i could go back to when I bought it, even if i had the money then i would still have bought it just because with little riding experience at that time i wouldn't have felt comfortable on a bigger bike. now that i'm with a girl who loves to ride having a bigger bike would be more comfortable for both of us. she's close to 6 feet tall and when she rides on my bike i feel like i have to ride on the tank for her to be comfortable. i just think for myself now is probably the best chance for me to get a decent deal on a bigger bike. and even if i do trade the sporty i will be hoping to get another as soon as i can afford it, just to hop it up and have another toy

that makes sense.....
good luck to you and your girl.
Hope you can get the new bike and then another Sporty someday too. I can definately see why for 2-up a bigger bike would be called for.

flathead45
7th January 2009, 16:02
de-value the sporty, god I hope so, then I can afford to buy more.

they have done this buyback program several times before and no it will not hurt the sales of new sportys, hell it will probably have the reverse effect and cause those who are unsure to buy one and upgrade in the future.

great deal to rent a bike for a few years for free.

darett
7th January 2009, 16:03
I'll be happy if just a handful feel just like me.
But that handful is dwindling.

I get what you're saying. I just see the Sportster loving core slipping away.
I guess nothing lasts forever.

I plan on keepin mine forever but I'm weird like that. I had a real tuff time selling my '78 cb750 and it was back to the guy I bought it from. I guess he had the same affliction as me

blankline9
7th January 2009, 16:09
the only thing that is keeping me from just dropping everything and going through with the deal is that I finally have my sporty where I want it. i have spent the money and got the parts that I wanted and its running oh so sweet now. its a huge bummer to think that i am going to have to start over and buy almost all new parts to get a new bike how i want it, not to mention the fact that those parts are going to be more expensive than what i have now.

emzdogz
7th January 2009, 16:09
They also said that they have had two takers on the program and have resold both Sportsters already.

that's pretty cool, that they re-sold the Sportsters already...as used bikes are (I think) exempt from the "program". So that means these people bought the bikes despite the fact they can't ride them "for free" for a year.

emzdogz
7th January 2009, 16:12
the only thing that is keeping me from just dropping everything and going through with the deal is that I finally have my sporty where I want it. i have spent the money and got the parts that I wanted and its running oh so sweet now. its a huge bummer to think that i am going to have to start over and buy almost all new parts to get a new bike how i want it, not to mention the fact that those parts are going to be more expensive than what i have now.

well when and if you do decide to let your bike go, whoever gets it will have gotten themselves a really sweet bike.

el jinete fantasma
7th January 2009, 16:34
Mine was a practical decision. I never thought about getting rid of my Sporty before this program came up. I rode the snot out of it (so much so that I sold my neglected car some months ago), but it was killing me on the freeway. The plan was to get a tourer in a couple years and keep both bikes. When the buyback came along, it seemed smart to get a Dyna to "split the difference."
It sure wasn't an easy thing to do. I literally felt a pang when I saw my bike listed on the dealer web site and when I stored away the five(!) Sportster shirts I had. I'll save them for someday...

emzdogz
7th January 2009, 16:38
Mine was a practical decision. I never thought about getting rid of my Sporty before this program came up. I rode the snot out of it (so much so that I sold my neglected car some months ago), but it was killing me on the freeway. The plan was to get a tourer in a couple years and keep both bikes. When the buyback came along, it seemed smart to get a Dyna to "split the difference."
It sure wasn't an easy thing to do. I literally felt a pang when I saw my bike listed on the dealer web site and when I stored away the five(!) Sportster shirts I had. I'll save them for someday...

see you're one of the ones I really hate to "lose".
:(
you better stick around....

chacon101
7th January 2009, 16:49
I have put waaay too much money into my current bike to seriously consider the swap but I have considered it.

One reason I would trade my bike in is because a new bike is a new bike. It's like the car I have...although it's only a year old, I wouldn't mind getting a brand spanking new one. For me, it has nothing to do with trading "up" or whatever but more about getting a different one to experience.

I wish I could have kept all of the cars and bikes I have ever owned and the same goes for the girls I have dated. Unfortunately, you have to trade em in (sometimes a test drive is good enough ;)) and get a new one sometimes. Not because you get bored with what you've got, but because there are alot of bikes out there and many of them are worth riding.

Besides, the thinning of the herd just makes the rest of us stronger :p

WrenchAnRide
7th January 2009, 17:08
"arab1302" is spot on. It's always about the $$$.

When I started shopping for a Harley, saw an ad where a truck dealership had taken in an H-D on trade. They were asking $5K or B.O. Called him on the phone and asked if he knew what model it actually was. He called the local dealership, told 'em what the Title said, he got the info for me and called me back.........and also said that Harley offered him $3500 for the bike sight unseen! (This was maybe 2 yrs. ago now)

Turns out it was a mechanically stock 883, but had considerable cosmetic mods (beautiful bike). Test ride wasn't what I expected and he started lowering the price. I kept respectfully passing and by the time I left he'd offered it to me for $4200. I still walked away.......Next test ride was a 1200 Sporty, all the bells 'n whistles and incredible torque! The "knocking" sounds set off the caution lights and I passed on that one. Next was the 1200 Sporty I've got now. Two test runs, done deal.

Sorry for the ramble, but getting back to the dealership offering the truck salesman $3500 for a bike they hadn't even seen. My theory is that it's been a buyer's market for quite some time now and only getting to be more so. At that time, the used Harley market was downright glutted (still is) and it seems that H-D wanted to get some of the private sales off the market to try to draw customers to buy new.

This may have something to do with the current program. Figuring that at least some Sporty owners will be selling to up-grade for personal reasons and that some of those owners might end up buying something other than Harley, could be that Harley wants to tempt 'em to stay with their brand ?

I dunno.....but there's no doubt that there's a real cult following for Sporties, so please take comfort in that and ignore the corporate scrambling for the almighty $$$. :)

el jinete fantasma
7th January 2009, 17:08
see you're one of the ones I really hate to "lose".
:(
you better stick around....
You'll feel differently once you put on those shocks.:laugh

I'm not going anywhere. This is a great forum. If anything, I feel like I can champion the Sportster more and not have it being taken as "defensive." The who "trading up" notion is just idiotic.:frownthre

emzdogz
7th January 2009, 17:16
You'll feel differently once you put on those shocks.:laugh

I'm not going anywhere. This is a great forum. If anything, I feel like I can champion the Sportster more and not have it being taken as "defensive." The who "trading up" notion is just idiotic.:frownthre

I already did!
lol!!!!! they look nice but yeah, they are caca.
But I kinda knew that.
It was an experiment.

I see progressives in my future.
Glad you will be around...

Maxanimal
7th January 2009, 17:26
I figure it works out to 1500 to 2500 maybe additional on a trade in and that well could be the difference for a lot of people.......

el jinete fantasma
7th January 2009, 17:56
I already did!
lol!!!!! they look nice but yeah, they are caca.
But I kinda knew that.
It was an experiment.

I see progressives in my future.
Glad you will be around...You won't regret the change (especially from the Ultimas). The covered 812s are beautiful and you know when they're workin'.

Folkie
7th January 2009, 18:10
I will NEVER, EVER, EVER buy a Harley Davidson Big Twin motorcycle, because of your conniving, dastardly, backstabbing, faithless, traitorous ways.Don't hold back Em, tell us how you really feel. :laugh

emzdogz
7th January 2009, 18:13
Don't hold back Em, tell us how you really feel. :laugh

I've done just that, and am thankful for the basically gentle nature of the folks on here who haven't kicked my butt too badly despite the irritation.

Anyway, I got it out of my system....
:wonderlan

(although I still mean it..)

Moved On / My Own Choice
7th January 2009, 18:22

WHY?

2 reasons

COST and SIZE

For many they are either new riders or re-entry riders who perhaps aren't sure they want to make a $13-20k commitment to owning a Harley, especially if they are unsure if they'll like Harleys, or like riding in general.

Also if they are new they may not want to make the commitment of a 700-800 lbs bike.

These types of people have always been a strong part of the Sportster market, as evidenced by a lot of the people on this board.

Also, things change, even in a depressed economy. Kids finish school, or a car payment someone had last year when they bought the sporty is over and now they have extra cash in the budget for payments they didn't have last year.

Or maybe they just plain made a mistake with the Sporty and they realize they don't like the size or the ride.

And suddenly Harley offers this awesome dangling carrot, the chance for them to get out of their sporty with more value than they could have ever hoped for.

It's EXTREMELY smart marketing!

I can't see why someone would hold it against them.

What I would find interesting is some sort of poll (believe it or not) where the people on this board who have elected to trade listed their bike history.

I'm BETTING that more often or not they are newbies to bikes and/or newbies to Harleys. By Newbie I mean the sporty was either their first or second bike, purchased in the first year or two of riding (or re-entry to riding). Or their first Harley.

Folkie
7th January 2009, 18:26
the sporty is a starter bike and just a stepping stone for big twins. deny it if you want but sometimes the truth hurtsFor you maybe, but not for everyone. When I bought my Sportster, I could have bought a big twin if I wanted one, but I didn't. I still don't. That's over 4 years later. I can't see that changing any time soon.

Erik
7th January 2009, 18:35
Is Kev actually promoting a poll :p ?

flathead45
7th January 2009, 18:36
For you maybe, but not for everyone. When I bought my Sportster, I could have bought a big twin if I wanted one, but I didn't. I still don't. That's over 4 years later. I can't see that changing any time soon.
good for you.

being from sussex, your of the britt life style. and that typically is small, fast, good handling bikes. in the U.S. we are of a typically long distance ride. goes back a long way in history. look at horse saddle styles. European saddles are small and light, western saddles are big and built for long amounts of saddle time

Uneasy Rider
7th January 2009, 18:39
The "starter harley" "girls Harley" or "step up bike"

Is a crock.

Coming from this board, they really are slilly statements

When I was at the stealer yesterday the sales girl asked "Why would you want a Supergilde? Its just a oversided Sportster. You want a Street Bob"

Well no I dont. The Sporty gets the same fuel mileage, is lighter and faster, and 4k cheaper. Sporty owers are not the cross country crowd.

I had a Dyna and hated it. Still do.

I can out of the stealer thinking, Im glad I got the Sportster

It does the job for my 100 mile a day commute.

Moved On / My Own Choice
7th January 2009, 18:42
Is Kev actually promoting a poll :p ?

Kinda shakes your faith in reality a little - doesn't it... :wonderlan

When I was at the stealer yesterday the sales girl asked "Why would you want a Supergilde? Its just a oversided Sportster. You want a Street Bob"

Well she's an F'n moron, but for another reason.

the FXD IS an oversized Sportster

AND an FXDB - is just an FXD with some accessories.

i.e. an FXDB is ALSO JUST AN OVERSIZED SPORTSTER ;)

Folkie
7th January 2009, 18:43
The covered 812s are beautiful and you know when they're workin'.That's how I feel about the 440s compared to the 412s. :geek

jharback
7th January 2009, 19:22

Look at it this way. The market is going to be flooded with used sportsters lowering the value and allowing more younger people the ability to afford them.

cafe08
7th January 2009, 20:05
Nobody will ever leave any particular style of bikes very long. The void will always be filled by someone or something. It's been going on for decades plus.
For awhile you couldn't find a standard unless it was a 250cc something from the Orient. Now everyone has one, Triumph has a slew of them.
As long as Harleys making bikes they'll have the Sporty, as long as they're making BT's people will want something smaller.

chrisfla
7th January 2009, 20:07
My idea as well was to keep my 1200C when I bought my FLHT, but the Sporty had a few miles on her and was starting to act like she needed some work, so I traded her in on a Suzuki V-Strom 650. Totally different ride, and lots of fun, but I found myself taking her out only for exercise. Bah.

So I got rid of the V-Strom and I'm back to the original idea with the (used, but new to me) Nightster. And I love them both, the FLHT AND the Nightster. They're both for completely different types of riding, both fun to ride, and both have their good points and bad points. But I'm still as happy as a pig in sh*t that I have them.

Can you tell I'm in HOG HEAVEN?? Pray my contract gets renewed for the fall so I can keep 'em.

khaskins
7th January 2009, 20:33
I wanted a Sportster for many years. When I decided to by one I decided that I would keep it through thick and thin.

I could have bought any bike I wanted, and I did.

I might by a Street Glide or Road King in the future but the Sportster is not going anywhere.
If I buy another bike it will be hard to justify. It will sit on a battery tender most of the time and the Sportster will still be the daily rider.

Good luck all of you and your new Harley's... you'll be back, you'll miss it too much, you'll see.

Sportster1200
7th January 2009, 21:43
they probably got teased too much hangin out at the starbucks
the only thing I can figure is that they probably figured that once the bought a Harley they would immediately be accepted and didn't realize they purchased the bastard step child of the MOCO

RED-HEADED, bastard, step-child

KongBastard

myndset
7th January 2009, 23:07
Back in 06 Got the call from the dealer to come pick up my new Street Glide. Kept thinking about that 1200 C that was on the floor. I got cold feet and backed out. Went in to the dealer 2 days later and bought the Sporty. No regrets and no it wasn't my first bike I have been riding over 40 years, all brands including B.T's. love my sporty but, If I were to do a trade, it would be for a Nightster, they didn't have them back in 2006. Plus I love pulling up to a pack of parked "Big twins" and parking my sporty right in the middle of all of them and look everybody in the eye.:laugh

sprtrjl
7th January 2009, 23:45
I don't think they are trying to go after guys who already have a bike; whether it be a Harley or a metric cruiser. I get the sense that they are trying to get folks that want to start riding and are a little intimidated by the size of the BT bikes out there. I can tell you when I first started looking, I didn't want to go into a dealership because I thought they would be able to smell the fear on me as I looked at those big ass motorcycles.

I don't understand your statement. They are making the offer to current owners of late model Sportsters. Right?

emzdogz
7th January 2009, 23:49
I don't understand your statement. They are making the offer to current owners of late model Sportsters. Right?

just saw this today, I think there's another offer where if you buy a new Sporty right now (I suppose with the plan to "upgrade") they are promising to give this same offer - MSRP when you buy a big twin. So this carrot is being dangled even to those who have not yet bought a Sporty OR BT.

So they can PRE-MEDITATE their future infidelity....

:p

sprtrjl
7th January 2009, 23:52
Oh I got ya now. I hadn't seen the other offer.

Piggy
8th January 2009, 00:02
Plus I love pulling up to a pack of parked "Big twins" and parking my sporty right in the middle of all of them and look everybody in the eye.:laugh

:laugh What? Why would that be fun? Does it make you feel like David meeting Goliath or something?

Trust me folks not everyone with a "big twin" looks down on Sportys.

myndset
8th January 2009, 00:28
No, It's just that I'm proud of my sporty and I did not say it was "FUN" And where did the David and Goliath thing come from? Is that how you see it? I'm just saying that the Sportster is every bit of a Harley, and some people are intimidated because they don't ride a big twin. And btw I'm not bashing B.T riders or B.T,s I ride and party with several, lots or really good people.

misterT
8th January 2009, 00:53
When I was looking at Harleys AT first i was really considering a Dyna, then a friend let me ride his soft tail and my mind was made up. I bought the sportster and have never regretted it ,it is everything I wanted. I just couldn't bring myself to pay more for a heavier slower bike. Both my wife and I ride on my sporty with no problems and it is fast enough to fulfill my need for speed.

rottenralph
8th January 2009, 01:08
I think it is a great deal for someone that did not get the right bike the first time. I have had my sporty 16 years now and I am happy but there are many who dream of the day they can ride off on their bt. Live a let live. We all have different dreams.

Piggy
8th January 2009, 01:27
No, It's just that I'm proud of my sporty and I did not say it was "FUN" And where did the David and Goliath thing come from? Is that how you see it? I'm just saying that the Sportster is every bit of a Harley, and some people are intimidated because they don't ride a big twin. And btw I'm not bashing B.T riders or B.T,s I ride and party with several, lots or really good people.

Well that's good you have friends that ride big twins and yes the Sporty is a Harley just like every other one.

I just thought it sounded kinda silly what you said about parking right in the middle and looking them in the eye. It reminded me of David confronting the enemy Goliath and looking him in the eye or something. Sorry if you didn't mean it that way but that's how it sounded to me.

myndset
8th January 2009, 02:04
Well that's good you have friends that ride big twins and yes the Sporty is a Harley just like every other one.

I just thought it sounded kinda silly what you said about parking right in the middle and looking them in the eye. It reminded me of David confronting the enemy Goliath and looking him in the eye or something. Sorry if you didn't mean it that way but that's how it sounded to me. I can see where it may have sounded like that. But that's not the way it was meant. I can also see your point of view. Thank's man. BTW It's all good...

Piggy
8th January 2009, 02:07
Yea like my wife says I ain't always the brightest... but I'm sure as hell the best looking. :D

I think my wife lies to me a lot though

superwarden
8th January 2009, 02:13
Bottom line to me is, if it says Harley Davidson on the side it is a Harley. End of story. I have a BT, an evo sporty, and an Ironhead sporty....My favorite by far is the Ironhead..

myndset
8th January 2009, 02:54
I have to agree with the Warden once again.:clap

Moved On / My Own Choice
8th January 2009, 15:34
Back in 06 Got the call from the dealer to come pick up my new Street Glide. Kept thinking about that 1200 C that was on the floor. I got cold feet and backed out. Went in to the dealer 2 days later and bought the Sporty. No regrets and no it wasn't my first bike I have been riding over 40 years, all brands including B.T's. love my sporty but, If I were to do a trade, it would be for a Nightster, they didn't have them back in 2006. Plus I love pulling up to a pack of parked "Big twins" and parking my sporty right in the middle of all of them and look everybody in the eye.:laugh

BINGO - that fits my theory perfectly... :clap see, you made a more educated decision and bought a Sporty INSTEAD of a BT and are not now tempted to trade it for a BT because you knew what you were getting into in the first place.

kenfm2000
8th January 2009, 16:06
When I was looking at Harleys AT first i was really considering a Dyna, then a friend let me ride his soft tail and my mind was made up. I bought the sportster and have never regretted it ,it is everything I wanted. I just couldn't bring myself to pay more for a heavier slower bike. Both my wife and I ride on my sporty with no problems and it is fast enough to fulfill my need for speed.

I'm not sure about the softtail you rode but I think i would have had to ride a Dyna and a sporty if i was looking at both before making a decision. I'm not saying you made the wrong decision. Only you can know what the right decision is for you. I do think you rode the wrong bike to influence your decision. I don't think I would drive a cadilac and let that influence me to buy a camaro over a corvette or vice versa. Now this example is not exactly the same but I'm just saying...

WrenchAnRide
8th January 2009, 16:15
Have had to re-think my earlier post in this thread after checking out the other thread about the program being extended.

While some are caught up in or distracted by the "Sporty vs. BT" conversation, there's a more important picture to keep in mind.........$$$

Personally, I don't care what bike a person rides as long as they're happy with it and, more importantly, as long as they can afford it. This economic crisis is only beginning, more & more people being laid off & it's bound to get worse. As a couple posters in the program extension thread had pointed out, this is no time for luxury spending.

If one has the ability to utilize this program and they KNOW that their personal finances are going to remain solid throughout the duration of this failing economy, then GREAT! Go for it!

But here's a point to consider:

Say you've got a Sporty and it's either close to being paid off or you feel confident that you'll be able to pay it off before the proverbial bottom falls out and the economy collapses. At least you'd still have your Sporty.

If one trades up, Harley now owns your Sporty and you've got the BT, but you're also DEEPER IN DEBT. If your finances evaporate and you can't make the payments on the new BT.......Harley will own your Sporty, re-possess your BT, you'll be without a bike and STILL BE IN MORE DEBT than you were before trading up.

For those who can utilize the program without any financial worry, that's cool. But if one can't personally guarantee that they'll be able to make the new payments........CAUTION!.....you might end up without a bike altogether.

celtic
8th January 2009, 16:31
if we weren't currently in this economic situation, (personally and globally)

I would probably be thinking hard about doing this deal.

not because i don't love my sporty -

but because I know my wife would ride pillion more on a touring bike.
i'd love to be able to have 2 bikes, but i don't see that in the near future anymore. :(

myndset
8th January 2009, 21:39
BINGO - that fits my theory perfectly... :clap see, you made a more educated decusion and bought a Sporty INSTEAD of a BT and are not now tempted to trade it for a BT because you knew what you were getting into in the first place. Somehow, I knew you would get it Kev

blankline9
12th January 2009, 17:39
well after much negotiations i ended up trading my sporty in this weekend :(. I'm sad to see it go but it was an absolutely awesome bike and I will own another one when I have money to build a "toy". The numbers worked out in my favor and going to the bigger bike ended up benefiting me and my girl. We are way more comfortable riding 2 up on the new bike. I ended up with the super glide custom and got the factory security for free. when all was said and done with changing my service plan over to the new bike and whatnot I came out paying $5 a month more than what i pay for my sporty. and when i refi through my credit union i'll actually be paying less for my new bike than what i paid for the sporty. i'm gonna miss the sporty but i'll have another someday.

i plan on sticking around the forum cause the people here are awesome and this is hands down the best HD forum on the net. the quality of threads/responses/knowledge just isn't there on other forums.

darett
12th January 2009, 17:52
man they're "droppin like flies" I think it would be interesting if you could see how many of the "upgraders" last year were saying how much their sporty was better then a BT? I'm sure alot of 'em were die hard XL4LIFE guys

el jinete fantasma
12th January 2009, 17:52
well after much negotiations i ended up trading my sporty in this weekend :(. I'm sad to see it go but it was an absolutely awesome bike and I will own another one when I have money to build a "toy". The numbers worked out in my favor and going to the bigger bike ended up benefiting me and my girl. We are way more comfortable riding 2 up on the new bike. I ended up with the super glide custom and got the factory security for free. when all was said and done with changing my service plan over to the new bike and whatnot I came out paying $5 a month more than what i pay for my sporty. and when i refi through my credit union i'll actually be paying less for my new bike than what i paid for the sporty. i'm gonna miss the sporty but i'll have another someday.

i plan on sticking around the forum cause the people here are awesome and this is hands down the best HD forum on the net. the quality of threads/responses/knowledge just isn't there on other forums.
What did you get?

Screwdriver
12th January 2009, 18:51
I am on my second Sporty, first was a 93 that I purchased new, now I have a 07. My sporty was paid for with cash, so no financial nut.

This Saturday I was at Glendale HD and sat down and worked out the cost of getting a Dyna. I have the cash...but haven't quite made up my mind.

The only justification I have is that I like Harleys....all Harleys. Sportsters, Big Twins...They are all equal in my mind.

el jinete fantasma
12th January 2009, 19:20
This Saturday I was at Glendale HD and sat down and worked out the cost of getting a Dyna. I have the cash...but haven't quite made up my mind.
Tired of dealing with Bargers?

semjpm
12th January 2009, 19:21
The stepping stone to a bigger bike in not always true. After 33 years of riding and rebuilding my 1972 XLCH I broke down and bought a 2005 1200C.

I rode into several dealerships on the 72 to look at a new bike and in one, the idiot salesman offered me a trade-in (even though I said no trade-in) then tried to tell me that buying the XL was a mistake and that in a few months I would want a bigger bike. I guess he thought that 33 years wasn't long enough to test drive sportsters. Needless to say, I bought somewhere else.

I've owned other bikes over the years but they all eventually got kicked out of the garage by the XLCH.

SEMJPM

Moved On / My Own Choice
12th January 2009, 19:30

What did you get?

hmmm, let's see, I know the answer is around here somewhere...

Oh, question, does his new bike have dual discs or single??? :p

Screwdriver
12th January 2009, 19:31
Tired of dealing with Bargers?

I am still going to talk to Gene....see what he will do. Since Barger's is the only dealer around us not running the program, I might be forced to jump ship.

Glendale was driving my a little nuts Saturday. I kept having to tell the guy that I would be paying cash for the difference, and he kept asking me why don't I finance.

el jinete fantasma
12th January 2009, 20:04
I am still going to talk to Gene....see what he will do. Since Barger's is the only dealer around us not running the program, I might be forced to jump ship.

Glendale was driving my a little nuts Saturday. I kept having to tell the guy that I would be paying cash for the difference, and he kept asking me why don't I finance.
Who was your sales guy? Did you even get as far as talking to Karrie?

el jinete fantasma
12th January 2009, 20:05
hmmm, let's see, I know the answer is around here somewhere...

Oh, question, does his new bike have dual discs or single??? :p
Hmm... I don't see it... maybe it's behind those huge letters that say Super Glide Custom... which don't have front brakes...:laugh
:doh

bigjnsa
12th January 2009, 20:14
Saturday at the dealer, Javelina Harley, the salesman I asked about the MSRP program last month said they were one of TWO dealers nationwide that were NOT participating in this program.

Gone
12th January 2009, 20:28

It's only a starter bike, or a stepping stone if you want it to be. Me? I've owned a BT-a Softtail, and it was far and away the worst motorcycle I've ever owned. The MoCo is very very good at marketing and product placement in movies/tv/whatever, and they've perpetuated the 'must upgrade' mindset to their own benefit.

Which is cool, they're a business after all. What isn't cool is all of the newbie instant 'bikers' who go out and buy a BT with all of the bells and whistles, who don't have the slightest idea how to ride or maintain the thing, and want to look down their nose at a Sportster (which, of course, can run circles over their overweight, inefficient, chromed out, junk wagon)

Screwdriver
12th January 2009, 21:09
Who was your sales guy? Did you even get as far as talking to Karrie?

Karrie is the rockabilly guy?

I was talking to a British guy....The other guy was with a customer.

el jinete fantasma
12th January 2009, 21:12
Karrie is the rockabilly guy?

I was talking to a British guy....The other guy was with a customer.
Karrie is the girl who handles the financial stuff. Her office is right by the Buells.

el jinete fantasma
12th January 2009, 21:13
Saturday at the dealer, Javelina Harley, the salesman I asked about the MSRP program last month said they were one of TWO dealers nationwide that were NOT participating in this program.
I'm pretty sure there's more than two. Evidently, Barger's in SoCal isn't.

Screwdriver
12th January 2009, 21:19

Makes no sense not to participate. When I was at Bargers last Friday, it was a ghost town...seems like a dealer would want to do whatever they could to bring in some business....and especially not loose some.

I have a love hate relationship with Bargers in Canoga Park, CA. Gene is a great guy and I have known him since him and his ex-wife Loretta owned a Honda/Triumph dealership. I have bought two sportsters, numerous accessories and have all my service done there. My Dad bought his FXR and a couple Honda dirt bikes back in the 70's.

The problem is Loretta....she has zero people skills. If you ever go there she is the older lady with black hair and horns...

jimmyess333
12th January 2009, 23:50
I don't see why people are getting offended by other people trading in.
Sure there are some who consider the Sporty a stepping stone but there are a large number who buy one with no intention of trading it in but eventually do. Some bow down to peer pressure but for some their needs or wants in motorcycling honestly change. For others it may be boredom, maybe it's not the bike but the need to change to something different.
Whether I keep my Sporty for 30 years or trade it in next year it doesn't mean I have anything bad to say about the Sportster. After all I must like it, I bought one.

Folkie
13th January 2009, 00:14
Sure there are some who consider the Sporty a stepping stone but there are a large number who buy one with no intention of trading it in but eventually do. Some bow down to peer pressure but for some their needs or wants in motorcycling honestly change. For others it may be boredom, maybe it's not the bike but the need to change to something different.
Whether I keep my Sporty for 30 years or trade it in next year it doesn't mean I have anything bad to say about the Sportster. After all I must like it, I bought one.http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.com/forum/images/smilies/zh_smilies/sign0156.gif

Screwdriver
13th January 2009, 00:21
Whether I keep my Sporty for 30 years or trade it in next year it doesn't mean I have anything bad to say about the Sportster. After all I must like it, I bought one.

I have to say for me it's a little bit of boredom. This is my second sportster and about my 13th bike. My Dad also rides at 83, but he has sold his Harleys and now rides BMW's...a k1200R and a Rockster. Used to be I always had access to a BT...a 93 FXR and a 68 Pan/Shovel whenever I had the urge to ride one.

I am not totally sure I will take the deal....I still like my sportster, but the msrp trade looks real tempting. I have always liked Dynas and wanted one to build up. I am just not looking forward to getting pipes, shocks and all the little things that make the bike more personable. What I would like to do is get the base Dyna and then find a clean pre-rubber mount sporty and build a nice cafe bike like my original sportster turned into,

bigjnsa
13th January 2009, 00:29
Makes no sense not to participate. When I was at Bargers last Friday, it was a ghost town...seems like a dealer would want to do whatever they could to bring in some business....and especially not loose some.

This dealership is, my guess, primarily the "old" crowd who want to relive their youth. Their local HOG chapter is all old geezers (sorry, if anyone here is a geezer!) riding Road Kings. I have never seen a Sporty other than my own there on the weekends or during the week.