PDA

View Full Version : Riding 2 up

Roadkill
11th March 2005, 01:08
Anybody know if it makes a big difference riding two up if you adjust the rear springs? I havent bought the wrench for it yet and dont want to waste the money if it doesnt matter. Thanks!

lthj75
11th March 2005, 01:12
Stock shocks blow for solo riding, I can't even imagine two-up. I'd suggest getting Progressive springs which allow you to adjust them with a twise of the hand. BEST purchase I'm made so far.

Benetampa
11th March 2005, 01:44
Adjusting the stock shocks makes a huge difference in comfort! A thread search should help you with suggestions to avoid buying the tool.

albe
11th March 2005, 01:46
I'd like to get progressives at some point as well, but in the meantime I adjusted my stockers to the middle setting on my 1200c....Not bad for me (at 160lbs) and ok with the wife (105lbs) on with me.

lthj75
11th March 2005, 01:58
For those interested....Progressive 440's = AMAZING ride. Got the 12"440's on my 1200C. TREMENDOUS difference.

alleydude
11th March 2005, 02:29
Adjusting the stock shocks makes a huge difference in comfort! A thread search should help you with suggestions to avoid buying the tool.

Yes, it does make a big difference. We have the wife's set at mid setting, but if we were gonna do a lot more 2-up we'd probably set it as stiff as possible. Find an Indy shop that will let you borrow their wrench, unless you plan on doing a lot of adjusting.

XLFREAK
11th March 2005, 03:03
I have mine on the highest setting and I still bottom out on bumps. I'm 180lbs, she's 135lbs. I'm looking into Progressives this year, I hope.

ed_in_az
11th March 2005, 03:28
Did a 60 mile ride 2 up ride today with my wife. I'm definately setting the shocks on the stiff setting the next time. The mid setting was too soft for the 2 of us. I bought the tool with the bike.

nc5p
11th March 2005, 03:44
I have an old pair of giant jaw pliers from Sears, just put a rag in to protect the finish and they turned fine. It did help but like others I am wanting for some Progressives. I use those pliers to loosen old oil filters, too.

Doug
2004 883>1200 Custom

GRAYFEATHER
11th March 2005, 04:35
I have mine on the highest setting and I still bottom out on bumps. I'm 180lbs, she's 135lbs. I'm looking into Progressives this year, I hope.
Iam with you JET stock are S**t :frownthre

Grayfeather :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

rider1951
11th March 2005, 05:16
Anybody know if it makes a big difference riding two up if you adjust the rear springs? I havent bought the wrench for it yet and dont want to waste the money if it doesnt matter. Thanks!

Yes it will make a difference and the tool is only $6 at the dealer. If you think you are going to go with Progressive shocks then wait as the tool is different for the Progressives. Like someone else said channle locks and a rag should do the job.

NO COAST CHOPPER
11th March 2005, 06:41
does anyone know how much a set of progressives cost? and a good place(cheap) to get them at?

nutsy
11th March 2005, 12:41
im 195 lbs,wife is 107. i keep mine on tightest notch.i have no problems of bottoming out unless you hit really big hole.my friend has a 95 honda and his shock wrench fits my 04 1200c .

DLM32
11th March 2005, 12:50
Roadkill,

What passes for stock shocks are really just spring loaded collapsable struts. If you like your bike low in the rear end, just go two up.

Seriously, you should set the springs on the a max pre-load for two up ridding. I just leave them there even for solos. Here in Florida, every local road looks liked a bombed out road in Bagdad! :frownthre

If you have a cycle salvage place in your area, check with them for spring preload wrench. They usually have tons of tool kit items and the saki-wagons had them in their tool kits for years. You can get one cheap.

When you get one, it's much easier to put in more spring pre-load with the back wheel on the ground. Don't forget to increase your rear tire pressure to 40lbs on the rear for two up ridding!

Oh, and seriously consider some real shocks asap. Progressive suspension has good shocks, heavy duty springs( for those of us that need them), and they are reasonably priced. Try J&P Cycles or Dennis Kirk. Both have websites and I've used both for years.

Hope this helps! :D

Later,

xl1200r
11th March 2005, 15:15
When I had the stock shocks they were set to the middle and there would be some occasional bottoming out when riding 2-up. When I got the tool and put it them on the stiffest setting it was reduced, but would still get a touch once in a while.

I ended buying a set of 1200S shocks off ebay for $160 brand new. They have a dual rate spring as well adjustable pre-load, compression and rebound. When I'm alone, I run them at the 4th preload (of 5), and bump it up to the 5th when the girl is on the back. I also slow down the compression by 2 clicks with her and haven't bottomed out since.

jrhayden
13th March 2005, 18:20
I also bought the tool after the first time we rode 2-up. I am 170, wife is 105. I put the shocks on the stiffest settings, and even like it there when solo. Rear tire is about 38lbs most of the time. So far I think the stock shocks are ok, but I really don't have anything to compare them to.

garman68hd
13th March 2005, 19:20
For those interested....Progressive 440's = AMAZING ride. Got the 12"440's on my 1200C. TREMENDOUS difference.

Forgive my ignorance here, being new to all this..

I like the look of a lowered (both ends) '04 custom. Is it correct that the stock shocks for this model are 11.5", and is it at all any idea to lower further when considering 2-up riding?

Are the 440 progressive's so good that a pair of 11"s will keep me and gf clear of rear tire?

lthj75
13th March 2005, 20:16
Per folks at Progressive, the design of the 440's are such that it works best 12" and up. If you want below 12", go with the 412's. Stock length on the 04+ 1200C are 11.75. Therefore I went with the 440 12" shocks and there was no visable difference, yet a HELL OF A DIFFERENCE in the ride. As I stated before -- BEST upgrade I've done so far.....with the Mustang seat not too far behind.

DaleG
14th March 2005, 00:51
I went ahead and bought a spanner wrench. It cost about $10 at the dealer. I believe it is a good tool to have.