PDA

View Full Version : VERY UPSET NON-GUN owner !

O2Sensor
31st October 2006, 18:35
OK....here I go !

I live in Orange County NY and I went to MD to shoot at a range for the first time. I fell in love.

S&W 686 6 inch
.22 Ruger
Etc...Etc..Etc.

I go to get a pistol permit here in NY and damn if I have to wait 6 months AND get 4 notarized letters as to my character.

I have no problem getting letters...BUT to have my friends go out of their way to get it notarized. That killed the deal for me right there.

I don't want to have to inconvienience my friends because NY doesn't want me to have a gun.

What a LOAD of crap !

PISSED !

Suggestions ?

c pierce
31st October 2006, 18:38
MOVE thats my best advice.

O2Sensor
31st October 2006, 18:39
LOL. Good advice.

Prebs
31st October 2006, 18:41
lol the notorized letters would be a good thing i think.. bad enough a bunch of freaks on the street with illegal ones.

SportsterBart
31st October 2006, 18:43
I got mine in Suffolk County about twenty years ago. I needed three references (cant be family or LEOs), and only had to get the application notarized.

Then I got interviewed, fingerprinted, and told it could take up to a year. Got it in five months.

The laws suck, but don't expect them to get any better. Have you considered a pistol permit service?

Bart

raysheen
31st October 2006, 18:58
Jump through their hoops, after just moving here, I'm in the same boat since I AM a gun owner...I'm sending each of my references $5 to cover the cost of notarizing.

the other option is to move to NH or VT or PA. You can walk in to a store and buy any kind of gun you want in VT and walk out and carry it with no permit of any kind. NH and VT are very good places to be gun owners as well. I have to have 4 references from the county and 3 from NH since I've lived here for less than 3 years...only the out of state references have to be notarized.

raysheen
31st October 2006, 18:59
lol the notorized letters would be a good thing i think..
nope, not a good thing in my opinion...what with the "shall not be infringed" and all

SportsterBart
31st October 2006, 19:02
Oh and if this is your first gun, PLEASE take some firearm safety classes!!!

Bart

Sportster Girl
31st October 2006, 19:05
lol the notorized letters would be a good thing i think.. bad enough a bunch of freaks on the street with illegal ones.

Nope, what raysheen said. Might better open up that can of worms in the P&R section, not amongst the gun 'nuts' in the GUN TALK section.

O2Sensor
31st October 2006, 20:02
Jump through their hoops, after just moving here, I'm in the same boat since I AM a gun owner...I'm sending each of my references $5 to cover the cost of notarizing.

the other option is to move to NH or VT or PA. You can walk in to a store and buy any kind of gun you want in VT and walk out and carry it with no permit of any kind. NH and VT are very good places to be gun owners as well. I have to have 4 references from the county and 3 from NH since I've lived here for less than 3 years...only the out of state references have to be notarized.

Well...If you still need a letter...send me a form and I'll send you one ?

Save the $5 !

Let me know.

O2Sensor
31st October 2006, 20:02
Where in NY ? I am in Chester, NY.

raysheen
31st October 2006, 20:06
Just to the east of Rochester here...the good news for us living upstate is that a lot of the counties issue unrestricted carry permits as pistol permits...so if you can own one then you can carry it...which is a nice reward for playing their game. :D

O2Sensor
31st October 2006, 20:07
Not in Orange County.

To and from the range ONLY !

Bull Shit !

SportsterBart
31st October 2006, 20:20
Not in Orange County.

To and from the range ONLY !

Bull Shit !

Find a 24 hour range and become a member. That's how we get around (or through) that loophole :shhhh ;)

Bart

raysheen
31st October 2006, 20:24
yep, membership in a 24 hour range along with some paper targets in the back :) ...NYS has ruled that stops are permitted on the way to the range as well.
Beyond that, you may or may not know it but there is only one NYS Pistol Permit (outside of the city) and that is a carry permit. You cannot get in any legal trouble for carrying concealed with this permit. The restrictions are administrative in nature only and if "caught" carrying outside of your restrictions then you can have your permit revoked by the issuing judge, BUT you won't get in any legal trouble...so at least you have the means to carry a gun if you ever feel the need to....some counties also allow you to petition the judge to remove the restrictions after a given time period where you show that you can be a responsible gun owner.

StarGateOps
1st November 2006, 00:59
Everyone else from N.Y. is here in Florida this time of year. We can shoot every day. How come you're not here?:gun

SGO

cigarman
1st November 2006, 03:11
My suggestion is that you get out and VOTE. Your reps and senators (notice, no capital letters?) were put in by you, your friends and neighbors.

Join the NRA and pro-firearms groups. Donate a couple of bucks to their campaigns rather than buying that pack of cigarettes, cigars or case of beer. Write letters and tell yoiur representaives that you mean what you say and you will VOTE.

I live in PA. I bring my ID to the County Sherrif, have my records serched for felonies and violent crimes, have apic taken, pay my $$ and get the CCW in a week or two. Then I can carry any one of a number of pistols, concealed. It is good in about a dozen states.

I can buy any number of handguns on any day with a simple records check.

Several times we have discussed retirement locations, NY, NJ and California. No way!!!

Come to PA, as long as you promise to VOTE!!

BTW, I give you the same suggestions to keep riding free. In PA, VOTES reversed the helmet law. (Although I always wear one myself).

Your problem with firearms is just the tip pof the iceberg; I saw a car from California at the local supermarket on Sunday and there was a Warning Sticker in the window indicating that the car is harardous to the environment and my health. What crap!! What do they expect us to do-- walk??

pquirk
1st November 2006, 03:35
Bummer. In Indiana getting a carry permit requires stopping at the local PD and paying $15. As long as you're not a felon it's then a done deal. Just buying a gun requires nothing. We've got room, c'mon down :).

c pierce
1st November 2006, 06:47
Here in oregon we fight for our right to bear arms every day. Our problem is the people moving here from calif and ny. They like to bring there laws with them.

SportsterBart
1st November 2006, 07:20
Here in oregon we fight for our right to bear arms every day. Our problem is the people moving here from calif and ny. They like to bring there laws with them.

I offer my sympathies, but as you can see from this thread not all of us New Yorkers share those views. The blame can be placed squarely on the urban voters and their ultra-liberal representatives.

Bart

hybriDatsun350
1st November 2006, 17:18
Damn, I thought People's Republic of Kolifornia was bad! haha